1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dr. James D. Price website

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by John of Japan, Feb 11, 2008.

1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Check out Dr. Price's website at: http://www.jamesdprice.com/.

Dr. Price, prof of Hebrew, etc., at Temple Baptist Seminary for many years and now retired, has a website with many articles by him about translation, textual criticism, etc. He is a top scholar and a wonderful Christian man, and was an editor on both the NKJV and HCSB.

Of particular interest is a PDF file of his simplified version of his optimal equivalence translation theory with the title Complete Equivalence in Bible Translation (a title supplied by the publishers rather than "optimal equivalence"), which came out in 1987. You will have to print this out to read it, since it is in a graphics format PDF rather than a text format, but it will be well worth the effort.

Also, the site gives information about his latest book, a scholarly tome on translating from the Hebrew using optimal equivalence: A Theory of Bible Translation: An Optimal Equivalence Model. I was privileged to see the first few chapters of this book before publication, and I highly recommend it--but you have to be able to read Hebrew and have $119 lying around. ;) ;)

2. Ivon Denosovich

Ivon Denosovich New Member

Great site! Thanks for the link.

3. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Happy to help! :thumbs:

4. Ehud

Ehud New Member

Anti KJV Sight

I guess this is a "Scholarly" anti KJV web sight. I guess this would be ok here:saint:

Ehud

5. Ehud

Ehud New Member

Anti kjv web site

I guess this is a Scholarly anti KJV web site.I guess this is ok here:saint:

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What you said was so nice you had to post it twice ?

Why do you maintain that works which treat the KJVO movement are "anti-KJV" ? Should books and pamphlets which expose the false teachings of Mormonism and JW theology be called "anti" this or that ? Price has a priceless reputation and quite scholarly credentials . Why don't you avail yourself of what JOJ has provided -- Price's website . Check it out and don't condemn until you read study and ponder .

7. Ehud

Ehud New Member

Don't Condemn

I went there. “Been there done that” That is why I posted.

EHUD

8. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I haven't had the time to read all of Dr Price's site. If you could link me to a place where Dr Price attacks the KJV I would be happy to deal with as I would any site that attacks the Bible.

9. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

John,

Thanks for the link. No one could make the leap that Ehud does if they have read Dr. Price's Book on KJVO. He has a chapter in there entitled 'Be careful what you read' (or something to that effect- I am away from home right now and don't have the book with me.) That chapter alone is worth the price of the book.

10. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Okay - you guys have convinced me. I have to buy the book now.

BTW - resources on that website are fantastic. They answer the false charges constantly leveled against the NKJV.

11. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. Ehud made quite a leap there, and then disappeared without backing it up with anything resembling facts. Dr. Price says in his book that he grew up with the KJV, memorized it, studied it. And he never says anything anti-KJV in it or on the website.

12. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep, you gotta get the book, Roger. :thumbs:

13. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Because Dr. Price is not Textus Receptus advocate according to his letter to a KJV onlyist.

14. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Folks, please do not turn this into a KJVO thread. I simply wanted to recommend the website of a man I consider to be a great scholar and wonderful Christian.

If you don't like what you find on his website, then by all means, stay away from it. I don't agree with him on everything, either, but I highly respect him, as I have ever since I took Hebrew from him 32 years ago. If you want to start an argument about something on the website then please start your own thread.

God bless. :type:

15. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Thanks for the permission, I did, but obviously before you gave way.