1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dr. Jimmy DeYoung joins LBU as adjunct faculty member

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by southern_saint, Jan 15, 2008.

1. southern_saint

southern_saint New Member

Dr. Jimmy DeYoung has signed on to be adjunct faculty at Louisiana Baptist University. He will be teaching about prophecy and Eschatology. I recently went to one of his speaking engagements at Mid-Way Baptist Church in Raleigh and found him well versed in knowledge of the subject. :godisgood:

#1 southern_saint, Jan 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2008
  2. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Southern Saint Response

Dear Southern Saint,

Let me be one of the first to welcome you to the BB.

I was wondering where Dr. DeYoung got his doctorate? With whom did he study? Did he get a PhD or a ThD? From TEDS? From Dallas? From Gordon-Conwell? From Southern Baptist Seminary?

What are his doctoral studies proper? Theology? Church History? History of Christian Thought? Roman Catholic Thought in Eschatology? Dispensational Theology or Amillennial Thought?

What books or commentaries has he written? Are there any that I would know? Please help to understand, if he is as good as your testimony I must get something of his and read it!

sdg!:thumbs:

rd

3. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  4. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

Ph.D. from LBU

5. southern_saint

Dr. Jimmy DeYoung

He has written several books and works very closely with the rabbinical theologians in Israel in showing them why believing the Gospel of the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ are the means for getting to heaven once one asks for forgiveness and asks Jesus to be their Lord and Savior. If you get a chance to hear him speak on this subject, my personal opinion is that you will be pleased that you went to hear him. :saint:

6. southern_saint

Dr. Jimmy DeYoung

Written two very well received books some of which are being used as collateral reading in colleges. Also went to Tennessee Temple where he got his first Ph.D. Travels the world spreading the gospel and has a tremendous ministry to the Israeli Jews. So now he got another Ph.D. from LBU then goes back there to be an adjunct professor. What is wrong with that?He is a very educated man and one only need speak with him to find that out. :BangHead:

7. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

I must have misread that in his bio...i saw the undergrad (i think it was at least) from Tennessee Temple and then the Ph.D. from LBU.
    And as for the headbutts...don't hurt yourself too badly. I don't think anyone was questioning his credentials or his speaking ability.

8. jilphn1022

jilphn1022 New Member

Just curious...

do any of you know where he stands on the timing of the rapture? He is pro-Jewish and would he lean to the only the "Jews go through the tribulation?"

9. pocadots1990

pocadots1990 Member

I just heard him preach at a church here in WV and he is a Pre-Trib. He is a very interesting speaker. I just signed up on the day of discovery website to receive a DVD from them quarterly. Can't wait to get it.

10. southern_saint

Jimmy DeYoung

He does not believe that only the Jews will go through the Tribulation....anyone not saved at the time of the rapture will stay here and go through the Tribulation, not just the Jews.

11. UZThD

UZThD New Member

what counts? eschatology.
    what about Christology :jesus: or Trinal relationships ? um....what's that?

12. jilphn1022

jilphn1022 New Member

Good point!

What does the Bible say about these teachings in the final answer!

You have asked some very important questions! Good thinking!

13. UZThD

UZThD New Member

#13 UZThD, Jan 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2008
  14. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    UZ ThD Reponse

15. UZThD

UZThD New Member

glory to Christ--WHENEVER He comes!

16. Sly Fox

Sly Fox New Member

Take it easy, guys. I don't think the poster deserved any derision for his rather tame offerings and clear affinity for DeYoung.

On a completely unrelated note, my great grandfather was named after Clarence Larkin ... they were were his first & middle names. Moving right along ...

17. UZThD

UZThD New Member

Oh, was this seen as a personal attack? Not intended to be!

It was just an opinion addressed to the situation that possibly the issue of Who Christ is might be just as important in measuring a man's creed or a school's doctoral program's focus than "who goes through a tribulation"

Some will counter: But the Church knows Who He is!

Really?

He is God! Which God? a God who is derived from Another Person and flitters about the precreation obedient to Another or One who has the same aseity and Sovereignty as the Other ?

He is incarnated! How? by losing omniscience and omnipresence, by limiting deity to fit into humanity or by retaining all that He is and not leaving Heaven?

He is our Sacrifice! Who , did God bleed and die or is the passion experienced only in the humanity?

He is Man: What? a collection of human qualities which the LOGOS moves about or a genuine human mind with a human will ?

To me it matters more about Who Christ is than when Christ comes. sorry.

But this is the Age of Eschatology, and I belong at Chalcedon ; so don't mind me.

Go ahead with the discussion of the terribly important issue of who this gent thinks will be in the Trinbulation.

Or, Say Glory, Glory, Glory to our Lord regardless of the timing of His return.

#17 UZThD, Jan 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2008
  18. Beth

Beth New Member

what is LBU?

What is LBU?

I guess I misread this thread, so I am editing my post, lol!

#18 Beth, Jan 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2008
  19. southern_saint

Jimmy DeYoung

LBU is Louisiana Baptist University.

20. jilphn1022

jilphn1022 New Member

What was I thinking?

In the LBU doctrinal statement it is clear that they are pre-tribulation rapturist.

I guess, that would mean that the professor must adhere to the belief to before they could teach there.

God said in His Word that He would be with us to the end. So we all can take comfort in those words no matter when we think the rapture will take place.