1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dr. Lee Roberson Is Headed Home!

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by John of Japan, Apr 27, 2007.

1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll be praying for all at the Sword.

I just read "Miss V.'s" (as we all called her) column in the Sword on Sat. and was once again amazed that she has served the Lord for so long. I grew up knowing her when the Sword was in Wheaton, then when it moved to Murfreesboro. When I lived with Granddad in the late 1970's she sometimes came over for a 4th at "Texas 42" dominoes, and was great fun.

I remember our first furlough in 1986 when we visited her at the Sword and she took us out and bought our son Paul a huge fire engine! She was a kind lady, and a blessed servant for the Lord, the Sword and John R. Rice. Her memory is blessed.

John R. Himes
    Asahikawa, Japan

2. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. mnw

mnw New Member

Just received an e-mail that said Dr. Roberson went to be with the Lord last night.

Does anyone have any news?

4. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dr. Lee Roberson Memorial

Hi, mnw.

Here is something just sent out by the family:

Dr. Lee Roberson Memorial

Dr. Lee Roberson

Dr. Lee Roberson, age 97, former pastor of the Highland Park Baptist Church, Founder and Chancellor Emeritus of Tennessee Temple University and Man of God, passed into the presence of the Lord Jesus Christ whom he had served faithfully since the age of fourteen, on Sunday, April 29, 2007.

Dr. Roberson was born November 24, 1909 on a farm near English, Indiana. He was led to the Lord at age fourteen by his Sunday School teacher, and he accepted the call to preach the 'Good News' of the Gospel at the age of eighteen.

He studied as vocal music at the Cincinnati Conservatory of Music and was a graduate of the University of Louisville and the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville. Beginning in 1932, Dr. Roberson served as a pastor and evangelist before accepting the pastorate of the Highland Park Baptist Church of Chattanooga in November of 1942. Tennessee Temple University was founded as a junior college and Bible school in July 1946. TTU is now an accredited four-year college, graduate school and seminary.

Dr. Lee Roberson was preceded in death by daughter Joy Caroline and wife, the former Caroline Allen. He is survived by son, John C. Roberson and wife Donna, daughter LeeAnne Nichols and husband Dr. L.W. 'Buddy' Nichols, daughter June Ormesher and husband Bill, eight grandchildren and by the countless thousands who accepted the new life of salvation under his ministry and the subsequent ministries of the thousands of men and women who he faithfully led, taught and encouraged at HPBC and TTU.

The family is asking that any memorial gifts be sent to the Lee Roberson Foundation, 2327 Red Tail Lane, Chattanooga, TN 37421 or online at www.LeeRoberson.org.

Dr.Roberson's favorite Scripture verse was Romans 8:28 - "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose."

Dated August 1, 2006 at the age of 96, Dr. Roberson published what he called his farewell letter and final testimony "to give encouragement to pastors, evangelists, and full-time Christian workers."

"I believe the Bible! I believe in the promises of God regarding our future life! I believe 'to be absent from the body, to be present with the Lord.' I believe the future will hold some of the most glorious blessings that one could ever conceive. We will be present 'with the Lord.' The Apostle Paul said 'this is far better.' The future is bright! I know the Lord may come at any moment - He has promised 'I will come again.'

"Continue in His great work! Give attention to the winning of souls and exhort yourself to a close walk with God."

Dr. Lee Roberson, "absent from the body, present with the Lord,"
    April 29, 2007.

5. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A Giant Goes Home

On the death of Dr. Lee Roberson

By John R. Himes

One day a faithful giant sat
    Upon his chair to rest.
    He only wished to stop awhile
    Before the next great test.

But then he heard a voice so soft
    And gentle in his ear.
    “Come up and join me at my Home,
    A place that is quite near.

You’ve walked with Me and served Me for
    So long and strong a way.
    It’s only right to come on Home
    To live with me this day.”

It was the voice of such a Friend
    The giant knew to be
    The best friend he could ever have,
    The best he’d ever see.

And so that day he walked along
    With his eternal Friend,
    Until they came to his Friend’s home,
    At last his journey’s end.

He stopped and looked amazed at that
    Huge crowd which greeted him,
    Who stood and cheered their general
    With his eternal Friend.

There were folks he’d saved from danger by
    His long two-edged sword.
    Others who had joined the fight
    Through his remembered words.

The giant bowed in humble joy
    Before his Friend and Lord,
    And finally and forever, laid it
    Down—his two-edged sword.

Now our giant lives in Heaven
    With his Savior dear,
    And you may too arrive up there
    By trusting Christ down here!

6. mnw

mnw New Member

Thanks for that John. It is sad to see another one of the great men of the faith leave the battlefield, but what a blessing for him go to be with the Lord.

I almost met Dr. Roberson last year, now I guess I'll have to wait.

7. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Thanks John - what a blessing.

Back in 1985 or so I was teaching at a Christian school. We took the students to hear Dr Roberson speak at a local church. When the pastor got up he said something along the lines of "You young people are privileged to hear Dr Roberson speak this morning. We won't be seeing him around much longer here on earth ( Dr Roberson was in his mid-70s then). Dr Roberson got up and said "Are you going someplace? I don't plan on going anywhere for a while!" :)

8. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I love it! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Thanks for sharing that, Roger. He kept on going strong for the Lord until God slowed him up, from what I have heard.

9. Allan

Allan Active Member

Man, I'm greatly saddened.

I remember attending TTT back in '93 94'
    I heard that man preach about lost souls and soul-less (indifferent) christians, and I don't think I was ever the same. My first year was Pastor Bouler's first year at Highland Park. I wonder how it affected him, the Churhc and the school?

He will be a lost treasure here on earth. But what a gen in Glory!!

10. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So many of us who went there (and others who did not) were greatly influenced for good by Dr. Roberson. I can still here him say, "That's right, young people, be steady. Don't turn aside."

11. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That'll always be the quote I associate with him. And that's what he was. Always steady. Others mmight have been flashier, but you could always count on Dr. Roberson to be where he should be

Once he said that he had been preaching for 50 years but could destroy it in 5 minutes if he didn't live for the Lord. I've always remembered that.

12. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some of us used to kid that all his sermon outlines were the same, they just had different passages and titles. The content was: believe in Jesus, walk with God, pray about everything, find God's will for your life, win souls, support worldwide missions, never turn back. But that is a big part of what made him great: his consistency and his insistence on walking with God. :saint:
    Very wise advice.

13. jewelsinhercrown

jewelsinhercrown New Member

Young people, don't be common!!!

What I remember the most is when he said, "Young people, don't be common!" in chapel one day. (Probably around '83 or '84) I'll never forget it! I was also always impressed by his mercy in dealing with people who've messed up. Even though he was insistent on following The Book "to the letter", he was very quick to give those who'd strayed and were repentant a second chance.

I'm really sad he is no longer with us, but happy for him. I'll bet Dr. Faulkner misses him the most. Talk about a loyal friend . . . . .:praying:

14. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi, jewelsinhercrown. Welcome to the Baptist Board! :wavey:

What you wrote is so true. I think a good way to describe Dr. Roberson in this aspect is a phrase I read many years ago describing the hero in a western novel: "He was strong enough to be gentle."

Absolutely right! I took pastoral leadership from Dr. Faulkner in about 1975, and to me he is the ideal second man, and so wonderfully loyal to his friends and especially his pastor/friend.

15. bibleman122083

bibleman122083 New Member

dr roberson has gone to glory.

in case some fundamental baptists have not heard, dr lee roberson has gone to meet his god. he passed away sunday morning. my preacher, dr jack schaap announced it in service sunday morning, so we should pray for his family and his church during this time.

16. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hello, bibleman122083. Welcome to the Baptist Board! :wavey:

Please look back on page two of this thread for the announcement on Dr. Roberson's Homegoing from his family. Page 3 has a furthur word from the family.

God bless.

17. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  18. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dr. Roberson's funeral

Here is the latest I've received about Dr. Roberson's funeral. At the end I'll give links to listen to the funeral and Dr. Roberson's last message to the church.
    John R. Himes

Services for Dr. Lee Roberson, longtime pastor of the Highland Park Baptist Church and Founder of Tennessee Temple University, will be held Thursday, May 3rd in the main auditorium of the Highland Park Baptist Church. Dr. Roberson, age 97, went to glory Sunday morning.

The family will receive visitors from 2:00-4:00 PM and 6:00-9:00 PM at the East Chapel of the Chattanooga Funeral Home at 404 South Moore Road.

Dr. Roberson's body will lie in state in the Highland Park Baptist Church from 11:30 until 1:00 PM on Thursday. Officiating at the service will be Dr. David Bouler, pastor of the church and Chancellor of Tennessee Temple University. Dr. Paul Dixon, Chancellor of Cedarville University, Cedarville, Ohio and an alumnus of Tennessee Temple University, will bring the message.

Special reflections will be given Dr. J. R. Faulkner, Cliff Robinson, Clarence Sexton, James Ray, Curtis Adams and Gary Gober. Son-in-law Buddy Nichols will deliver the benediction.

Graveside services will follow at the Greenwood Cemetery at 2013 Greenwood Road under the direction of Dr. David Bouler and Dr. Danny Lovett, President of Tennessee Temple University.

In lieu of flowers, the family is requesting that memorial contributions may be sent to the Lee Roberson Foundation, 2327 Red Tail Lane, Chattanooga, TN 37421.

John Roberson, Dr. Lee Roberson's son, said his father's desire was that his home going into the presence of his Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, be "a time of celebration" rather than a time of sorrow.

To Listen to the service via the web on WDYN click on WDYN link here: http://hpbc.net/
    Download the file and then open file at 1:00, May 3rd. It

Click to listen to possibly the last message of Dr. Roberson to HPBC and TTU: http://www.heart2help.org/DrLeeRobersonRemembered.htm

19. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Man, I was so disappointed... I could not access the webcast because the server was overloaded. Anyone know if a DVD will be available?

20. FBCPastorsWife

FBCPastorsWife New Member

They announced that it will be repeated again tonight. I think they said around 8 pm CST. You may need to check the website just to make sure though.