1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DR. PIANKA TRANSCRIPT

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by poncho, Apr 7, 2006.

1. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Transcript From the Speech That Started It All
    Dr. "Doom" Pianka Speaks

Exclusive -- April 6, 2006: Relying on a transcript from audio recorded during Dr. Eric Pianka's presentation at the 109th meeting of the Texas Academy of Science March 2-4, The Pearcey Report has first-hand documentation on what the controversial ecologist said regarding a number of issues, including taxes, children, forced sterilization, overpopulation, economic growth, and more.

News of Dr. Pianka's views broke when scientist and author Forrest Mims published a March 31 article in The Citizen Scientist. In that article Mims said, "I watched in amazement as a few hundred members of the Texas Academy of Science rose to their feet and gave a standing ovation to a speech that enthusiastically advocated the elimination of 90 percent of Earth's population by airborne Ebola."

On March 31, Dr. Pianka spoke to students and parents at St. Edwards University in Austin, Texas. "A University of Texas professor says the Earth would be better off with 90 percent of the human population dead," is how the Gazette-Enterprise led its coverage of the talk.

<snip>

We now turn to the transcript, based on audio from Dr. Pianka's academy speech in March. That such an audio-based document exists at all may be an intriguing part of this story since, according to published reports, an effort apparently was made to ensure that Dr. Pianka's speech was not recorded by video or audio.

DR. PIANKA TRANSCRIPT From Recorded Audio at speech, March 3, 2006

2. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

So the whole thing was a lie, after all. Nothing even close to what was reported.

And now this man has to endure death threats, because some foolish person wanted some attention, and made up a more "interesting" story.

I think he's considerably exaggerated problems (although they are real problems), but that isn't license to falsely accuse him, or incite violence against him.

3. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Reading this transcript only took a couple minutes. My guess is that it doesn't cover the whole speech. It's hard for me to classify Forrest Mims as a foolish person after reading his bio. Maybe it's just me but I don't believe I'm ready to give a person that seems to advocate China's police state and family planning, forced sterilization and abortion as a model for the rest of the world, names his buffalo Lucifer and publishes his obituary on the web a standing ovation just yet.

4. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Me either. I think Pianka is very wrong in much of what he says. But lying about what he said is still wrong.

Pianka's website, up before this speech, doesn't advocate killing 90 percent of the world by ebola; it warns against that possibility.

And he denies saying what Mims claims he did. The most charitable view is that Mims is foolish and let his imagination get away with him.

5. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

I think it would be interesting to have a televison show where these two (and others like them) could debate one another in public, kind of like Jerry Springer but without the fowl language and violence.