1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Dr visit results

Discussion in 'Prayer Requests & Praise' started by evenifigoalone, Feb 21, 2020.

1. MartyF

MartyF Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most who have developed type 2 Diabetes still have the ability to produce insulin. So the body still regulates sugar, but since the body has had so much sugar pushed into it, it now “thinks” that a higher unhealthy sugar level should be maintained. So, doctors are usually not worried about the sugar level every hour like a type 1 diabetic. They are more worried about the a1c level - long term damage caused by high sugar levels.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Covenanter

Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    THe A1c figure approximates to an average of finger tip measurements - but an average may range from very high to very low or be fairly level.

In my case when I was at my worst, the A1c did not indicate a serious problem. And when I changed my diet & became well, the change in A1c was small. It was the high readings that were causing the problem, & the A1c does show those.

• Like Like x 1
  3. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    FBS of 163 this morning

Still better than the FBS of 216 that I previously had when I had blood drawn at the Drs office

Sent from my SM-J737T1 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  4. alexander284

alexander284 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, like so many worthwhile endeavors in life, it's definitely a process.

5. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    I need to buy some more testing strips and lancets soon.... The glucomoeter I was given came with a few, but they're already dwindling. I was given a OneTouch VeriFlex, hopefully I can find the stuff for it easily

• Like Like x 1
  6. alexander284

Faith:
    Baptist
    If not, you can always purchase a different glucometer and test strips from places like Walmart or CVS Pharmacy at a fairly inexpensive price.

After all, the important thing is to monitor your blood sugar level, not which brand of glucometer you use.

And I'm looking forward to keeping up on your continuing journey on this "brave, new frontier," so to speak. :)

7. MartyF

MartyF Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's strange.

So you had an a1c of about 5.0, but your fasting blood sugar level was above 180? That doesn't make sense to me.

• Like Like x 1
  8. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok, I'll run to CVS after work to see if they carry the supplies I need. If not, I'll just buy a new meter
    Pricking my fingers isn't as bad as I thought it would be. It's no worse than a mosquito bite

• Like Like x 1
  9. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    So I told my boss about my diabetes, because she offered me a donut and I had to explain why I couldn't eat it. She later told me that if at some point I need to get off my register to eat for medical reasons (like if my blood sugar goes too low, I guess), I can.

• Like Like x 1
  10. alexander284

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm glad to hear you have an understanding boss. That seems to be a rare commodity these days, unfortunately.

11. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    So I've ordered a medical alert bracelet for myself. I read that if you are diabetic you should have one.

• Like Like x 1
  12. HatedByAll

HatedByAll Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The cause of your blood sugar possibly going too low is due to the medications they are likely to eventually put you on. If you are ever placed on Insulin injections, that is a very real problem. One has to match the carbohydrates they consume to the amount of insulin they take, and there are times when it just doesn't work correctly.

If you are controlling your diabetes with diet and exercise there should only be a small risk for lows unless you are being very active for an extended period of time. Also, the go to medication of most doctors for new diabetics is metformin. It is also unlikely to cause lows.

Three correct sized meals with two or three snacks a day is wise to keep your glucose levels as constant as possible. Skipping meals and snacks and eating a large meal causes spikes. So it is wise to eat snacks on a schedule, but don't worry too much about doing it to avoid lows unless you are taking a medication that can cause lows.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. alexander284

Faith:
    Baptist
    Great idea! It's nice to see you're taking your diabetes seriously.

And, worst case scenario, if you should ever lose consciousness unexpectedly, and an ambulance is called, the EMTs will know about your diabetes, when you're unable to tell them yourself.

#33 alexander284, Feb 26, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  14. Covenanter

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. What I said was -
    My A1c was in the diabetic range - about 140 (7) which does not indicate uncontrolled blood glucose, yet I was crippled with muscle pain. When I check the after meal BG it was up to about 300 (15) which was the cause of the problem. Readings went down to about 80 (4).

The after meal spikes were the significant BGs, NOT the A1c.

An A1c of 140, ranging from 80 to 300 (7, 4-15) is much worse than the same value A1c of 140 ranging from 100-200. (7, 5-10.)

TBH I didn't do a lot of 1 hour post meal measurements after eating carbs. It's not an experiment to repeat once I knew the effect!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Covenanter

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In over 20 years T2 I have never gone below 80 (4) and never blacked out. My driving problems before I cut the carbs were chronic tiredness & leg numbness. I stopped at every motorway service station & occasionally stopped on the hard shoulder. The numbness meant I could not be sure of stopping safely. My last motorway journey home was courtesy of the AA.

Those conditions ended within 3 months of cutting out carbs. 12 years on I'm OK.

I have reported my diabetes to the car insurance company & the department of transport. Control by diet &/or metformin has no special consideration. Occurrence of sudden fainting obviously has to be declared. In the UK, after 70, the driving licence last 3 years, & one has to answer a health questionaire before it is issued. Check any points of doubt with the doctor.

I'm very thankful to God for guiding me to advice that has restored my health & kept me well.

16. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just a precaution. At the very least, even if I end up in the ER for other reasons, they will know to check my blood sugar....or so I read. I have a mental health alert bracelet too...even though my mental health has been very good lately, I still wear it everywhere

• Like Like x 1
  17. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    Blood sugar was 145 when I woke up. After lunch, it jumped to 173. Oof.

I went to Walmart and bought the ReliOn meter and the supplies for it. Had to buy a new lancer as well, as the lancets for it were cheaper. $35 in all.... Not too bad.

The ReliOn brand was recommended to me by the Facebook support group I joined.

Also started on 1000 mg Metformin today....

• Like Like x 1
  18. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    SO APPARENTLY my psych meds may have caused my diabetes. Gonna talk to my mental health providers about it

• Like Like x 1
  19. alexander284

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm thinking you can use the same Lancet several times, as long as you're the only one using it (and it's still sharp enough).

20. Covenanter

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I use the same one about 50 times - change it when I start a new pack of test strips.

• Like Like x 1