1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Dr visit results

Discussion in 'Prayer Requests & Praise' started by evenifigoalone, Feb 21, 2020.

1. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, they said it's because the meds cause weight gain. But they don't recommend coming off of them.... I have an appointment on the 17th, I'll talk to the nurse more about it then.

Sent from my SM-J737T1 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  2. alexander284

alexander284 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It'll be interesting to see where all this leads. That's for sure!

3. MartyF

MartyF Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    When specifics aren’t given, sometimes I fill in the information with what I can infer.

In the U.S. an a1c of 7 indicates full blown diabetes.
    All About Your A1C

A healthy Navy Seal who is 21 can get a blood sugar well past 200 by drinking a large sugar soda while laying on a sofa. If he stopped exercising and went on a constant sugar drink diet, he would eventually experience the symptoms of a diabetic even if he weren’t one. It’s not as bad as being an actual diabetic.

There are varying levels of diabetes and the medical profession hasn’t been very helpful in defining diabetes. These are the type of type 2 diabetes I know of:

1. The person who is called a diabetic so that he or she will get off his or her butt and start eating healthy and exercising. No medication is given and sometimes doctors will call these people pre-diabetic, but many say diabetic to scare the patient.

2. The person who needs to take daily medication to control his or her blood sugar. Diet change and exercise is not enough. Medication must be taken to keep blood sugar at a “safe” level.

3. The person who needs to take insulin to survive. Without insulin shots, their body will maintain an unhealthy or acutely deadly level of blood sugar. They can maintain a blood sugar level of 300 for days despite exercise and not eating.

From what I can tell, questdriven is at least a 2.

The only person who needs to do constant at home monitoring is someone who is an insulin diabetic or on the verge of being one. The reason is because their body has no control anymore and they must always check and maintain the proper blood sugar for their body by giving themselves insulin. Everyone else is just satisfying their curiosity.

Of course, if your doctor says otherwise, always follow your doctors instructions. But I thought I read that questdriven’s doctor said that she didn’t need constant at home monitoring.

#43 MartyF, Feb 28, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. MartyF

MartyF Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. Just no . . . It’s just not a chance worth taking in my opinion. Lancets might cost a fortune in the UK, but in the U.S. the most expensive ones are 25 for $3. Risking infection just to satisfy your curiosity doesn’t seem very wise.

5. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was hitting me last night how serious my health conditions are. Like, aside from being diabetic, I also have hypertension, high cholesterol, and elevated liver enzymes. (Dr said the liver enzymes might just be my psych meds doing that, hopefully that's all it is)

• Prayers Prayers x 1
  6. alexander284

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I understand it, diabetes, hypertension, and high cholesterol tend to go hand in hand.

However, that's not me being dismissive about what you're going through.

What your feeling now is completely justified, and understandable.

My point is: you're not alone. And you're obviously doing everything within your power to address this situation.

May the Lord Jesus help you endure, and bless your efforts, my sister in Christ.

7. alexander284

Faith:
    Baptist
    Questdriven: I'm sorry if I got all mushy and sentimental with you on my last post! Lol

I'm typically not like that, believe me. Lol

So please don't let you that stop you from continuing to update us on your diabetes. ;)

8. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    I got some sugar free candy and my mom bought me some diabetic friendly food. We both came to the conclusion that I need to get food stamps again so that I can buy my own stuff. My new needs are too expensive for her to handle. (Yes, I'm 26 and live with my mom. I pay her rent)

• Like Like x 1
  9. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    You good, lol

• Like Like x 1
  10. alexander284

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like it. You're doing what needs to be done. You're taking care of business.

And anyone who thinks living with your mom deserves a guilt trip is a fool!

As far food stamps go, given your health issues, good for you! :)

11. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    So I talked to someone at my church who has training in the medical field, and he says that my psych meds could very well have contributed to the diabetes. They likely sped up the process and I might have become diabetic later in life without them.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. alexander284

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's interesting. I'm guessing that happens to others, as well.

13. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    Got my bracelet today[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  14. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    Experiencing blurred vision today. I only really notice it with upclose things, like the computer screen or my register screen. Asked my support group about it, and they said it can be related to my blood sugar.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. HatedByAll

HatedByAll Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is probably the second most common symptom of high blood glucose. Many people who have undiagnosed diabetes have occasional blurry vision and have no idea what the cause is because our media is doing a poor job job spreading information that is truly needed.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. alexander284

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, I'm just happy to see you're taking your newly diagnosed chronic health issue seriously.

17. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    My mom got me some pasta dinners made out of vegetables. I started to cook one....then realized that it was the wrong package....I was cooking my mom's instead. Whoops. No wonder the label didn't say "made out of vegetables" on it. I stopped the microwave and put the half-heated dinner back in the freezer, while getting one of mine out.....

It's....eh. Not as good as actual pasta. But edible.

Oh. What do you think on the subject of diet causing diabetes? It's considered a contributing factor, but according to what I'm reading they don't have much idea what causes type 2 diabetes, aside from diet, exercise, and genetics being contributing factors. Supposedly you can't get type 2 without it being in your genes first.... And then, of course, as we've discussed, some medications can also cause it...
    Just bringing it up, because one of the support groups I'm in on facebook insists that I didn't give myself diabetes, that there's too many factors involved to get caught up in self blame. (Not that I'm doing that. I think I'm handling this quite well.) Of course, the other support group seems to be on the opposite end of the spectrum, that most people will eat themselves into getting diabetes at some point.
    (I'm in two groups, one for the "plate method", and the other for using the keto diet to put diabetes in remission. I'm not doing the keto diet (too high in fat and not good for heart health), but at the time I joined I was just looking for ideas.)
    All that said. You can be perfectly healthy, at a good weight, exercising, not eating sweets, and still end up with type 2 if it's in your genes.

• Like Like x 1
  18. HatedByAll

HatedByAll Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem with determining the cause of diabetes is that there are more types and causes of diabetes than just Type 1 and Type 2. The worse types are of course type 1 and some of the type 2 diabetes where cells in the pancreas that produce insulin are destroyed. But there are also conditions where the cells of the body are unable to use insulin.

For the person whose problem is that their pancreas does not produce enough insulin, the cause is believed to be an autoimmune condition that causes the body to destroy these beta cells in the islet of the pancreas. Diet has no known methodology to contribute to this cause. But saying that, during the periods of time when the body has inadequate insulin there is a period of time when the patient can control diabetes with diet and exercise only. But, no matter how much a person may wish to avoid taking medication, this period of time will end. If the body is slowly destroying these beta cells, eventually the patient will need medication, and if the condition is serious enough they will eventually become insulin dependent just like a type 1 diabetic.

Other diabetics produce enough insulin but their cells are unable to adequately use the glucose. For these diet and exercise are often very effective and if uses correctly can appear to "cure" diabetes. But, there is another problem with people of this condition. Because the body can not fully use insulin, it will over produce insulin which will eventually weaken the body's ability to produce insulin.

If all that did not confuse you, let me just say. Diet and exercise can be almost miraculous for some, but not for others. All benefit from a good diet and exercise program including type 1 diabetics and non diabetics, so use a diet, of course, but don't let others to make you feel like a failure if it is not enough. The right way to manage your diabetes is unique to you, as mine is unique to me. You and your care team just got to do the work to figure it out, and then comes the fun part, actually doing it when life tends to get in the way.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    Started the process to sign up for diabetic education classes at the hospital. They need to contact my dr for a referral

• Informative Informative x 1