1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Draw all men to myself

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by psalms109:31, Nov 8, 2006.

1. Allan

Allan Active Member

What I gave in all actuality was not a proper exegete as I had seriously done the scripture a bad rendering (I didn’t do a double check on what I wrote and I apologize). It was wrong, though right in the general wrong even still. Sorry about that, it was my mistake.

The verb tense (active participle) was correct with regard to reconciling. However what is being stated is something much different than what I wrote. Actually Ted, it was an error of yours that caused me to look again at what I said. You stated God IS in Christ (present tense) when in fact scripture states God WAS in Christ (past tense). This verse is written not as flat statement (maybe I just didn’t get what you meant by it) but a reminder that Christ came not to judge but to save. Note the verse 18
    Two things are stated here; 1. Who reconciled (past tense here) us by Jesus, and 2. Now we have that same ministry of reconciliation.
    Then it goes to verse 19:
    Now we see that God was in Christ or actively apart of what He (Christ) was doing and that being when Christ was here (earthly ministry) He was reconciling the world to himself. What or who is this world??? Here is what scripture says in relation to Christ’s ministry and the world.
    Jesus is the light that lights (illuminate or reveals to) every man that cometh into the WORLD, and this same world that was made by Him and whom He was amongst did not know Him. Who is it, it is every man (person) that comes into the world (as in World). It was this reconciling that God desired and not imputing (casting judgment upon) their trespasses. We see this also in John 3
    Now you may wonder why I placed the Moses lifting up the serpent along with the other verses that show Christ not condemning or Judging the world yet but seeking to save or reconcile them to Himself. The story of Moses and the Serpent is pertinent because anyone who was afflicted could simply look to this symbol of sin (acknowledging their sin and needing Gods salvation) And God would THEN take away their reproach or trespass, forgive and restore them to life.
    Did God only choose certain ones who were afflicted and in sin to acknowledge their sin and make the others not do so??
    Was there only a statement made by God that anyone could do this but that it was only for certain people in reality??
    That is not what the scriptures states nor does it insinuate anything close that. So too, Jesus is lifted up for any who will acknowledge and receive Him.

It is for this reason we are ambassadors for Christ and in His stead that 2 Cor 5:20 states we pray (urge or plead) that you be reconciled unto God through Christ Jesus the Lord!

And finally before theses verses look if you will to verse 15
    Which shows if He died for all then all those who live (not are made alive) should live for Him who has made the reconciling possible if you will but believe

#61 Allan, Nov 9, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2006
  2. Allan

Allan Active Member

Easy Reformed, you seem a bit high strung. I thought you were addressing me concerning what I was speaking about with some others and simply replied back. Sorry for the confusion.

I personally don't believe in the General verses effectual Calls (as you recall) and for the main reason you stated herein regarding Gods Justice or Righteousness.
    You use what I call the false wieght view.
    You state God calls all men to repent (general call) but only those people God chooses will repent (effectaul Call). It is a false wieght. Something used to give the appearance of what is Just and Good but is nothing but a show.

Man will be condemded on how he responds to that call (true wieght).
    If God alone is the only one who can make a man respond in repentence and He gives the Call out to ALL but will only allow those to respond that He chooses. You have now effectivly made God a deciever to everyone else to whom the call of God went for God never intended they should repent. So you have God desiring them to stay in damnation.

This is a false wieght as it makes God a deciever that He actaully wants the world to repent for He does not. If He did desire the world to repent He would have effectively provided this opportunity. A false wieght or a deciever God hates.

There is no Justice in what I described. If I'm wrong in what I stated you believe, that being God wants all men everywhere to repent but only gives certain people to ability to do so. Therefore He calls out to all men but makes only some able to respond by repenting and ALL men will be judged on their responce to the call to repent, please correct me.

3. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

You are stating that in this case He would only allow the elect to respond. That is false. God genuinely offers salvation to whosoever will. He does not put a barrier in their way. They have built their own barrier. They freely choose according to their own nature. He does not force them to not believe. A typical logic that free willers use.

4. reformedbeliever

Sorry if I seem that way. I'm not high strung at all. I was simply stating fact.

5. reformedbeliever

It is dangerous to "personally believe" without biblical evidence. The bible stands regardless of what we personally believe.

God does not make anyone respond. He changes their nature to where they will respond.

I don't think God *wants* the world to repent. He commands them to, so that He will be just in His condemnation of those who do not. I think He will get glory out of those who do not repent. He takes no pleasure in the destruction of the wicked however.

I believe that Peter was writing to the elect or chosen, or those who have like faith in both of his letters. Read it and correct me if I'm wrong. God was not willing that any of the "who" (the elect) perish. Read it in context. 2 Peter 3:9 There is no contradiction there.

Don't worry about misrepresenting me..... bro. bob does it all the time.

6. Allan

Allan Active Member

Am I Brother Bod, no. I speak for me alone and my actions reflect on me alone.

With due respect, your comment on "personally believe" was uncalled for. For one to believe something there must be an object to which that belief is attacted and since I am speaking of scripture and doctrine that belief (from me anyway) is based, nay entrenched in scripture.
    You just proved God does MAKE people respond for He personally has to change them. This change does not give them the option to believe or not but is the very cause that they HAVE TO believe.
    SO the fact God commands all men everywhere to repent does not show God *wants* men to repent???
    And just how pray-tell is God justified in His condemnation of those who will not respond and repent as He commands them to but will not allow them to. You have God punishing those who do not obey Him because He will not allow them to repent. Just??? Righteous??? Not according to His standard set forth in scripture (the true wieght) I agree He will get glory from those who do not believe but not because He wont allow (regerate) them to but because they do not want to. Thereby sealing themselves in their own choice to be judged on their merits and not Christs. God glorifies Himself by using Himself as that standard to which NO MAN can measure up. Thereby God takes no pleasure in the destruction of the wicked but since they desire to be judged outside of Christ they will be judged aginst Christ Alone. And as they are guilty of trying to exhalt themselves to the level of God and are cast down in the likeness of Satan himself.
    I agree here without question as context dictates HERE that it is pertaining to the chosen God is waiting for in their due time.
    It is the other verse that reflect this same comes to all, for all, though all will not believe it all. as in 1 Tim 2:3-5
    and 1 Tim 4;10
    and also Titus 2:11
    There are many more where these came from. :thumbs:

I do worry about misrepresenting since it shows I have not listened very well to better understand you and what you 'personally' believe. So to misrepresent you is to misrepresent me as though I do not care enough love and understand my brother. This is my thoughts and how I try to live with regard to brothers in Christ.

7. Allan

Allan Active Member

First - the whole choosing according to nature argument has never been able to be clearly or properly substantiated scriptually which is why we are still discussing today. Second - The whole freely choose deal I delt with in my previous posting as to God changing someone nature so the have no choice but believe IS making someone do something. But for the most part this is still dealt with in my previous posting.

:type: :wavey: :godisgood:

8. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I am Bro. Bob;
    Now that that is settled can you show me scripture where it says God changes our nature, I hear that all the time from Calvinist. Now, I copied and pasted so I did not misquote you.

9. reformedbeliever

I appologize if I've offended you. I didn't mean to. In this medium, without being able to see facial expression, it is easy to not see what a person is truly saying. I was simply saying that it is dangerous to simply say "well I just don't believe that" without biblical basis. I can see where you definately base your beliefs upon the bible. I'm sorry. Forgive me?

No one has to believe. God changes the elect's nature to where they freely believe. The reprobate choose according to their nature.

The Timothy verse where all is used is the same word in the greek for all sorts of, as used later where Paul states that the love of money is the root of all sorts of evil. For the love of money is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs. Look up strongs 3956. He wants all sorts of or whosoever will to repent.

10. reformedbeliever

Ephesians 2. Read it. When you are done with that I'll give you more.

11. reformedbeliever

Read John 8

12. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

8: For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

This is "through faith" in other words to believe.
    No one is not saying He don't change our heart after we believe.
    This does not support what you advocate.

When you study these I give you some more.

I asked to show me this? Where He changes their nature so they believe?

#72 Brother Bob, Nov 9, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2006
  13. reformedbeliever

Pretty typical of you to take one verse out of context. Read the whole chapter.... especially this Ephesians 2: 1. And you were dead in your trespasses and sins,
    2. in which you formerly walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, of the spirit that is now working in the sons of disobedience.
    3. Among them we too all formerly lived in the lusts of our flesh, indulging the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, even as the rest.
    4. But God, being rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us,
    5. even when we were dead in our transgressions, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved),

14. reformedbeliever

I showed you where in Ephesians. You asked and I provided the scriptural answer. It is up to you whether or not you receive it. Are you being intellectually honest? Do I need to highlight the words in the verse in order for you to see it bob?

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Back up a little further to chapter 1 and tell me the rest of the book is not based off being "in Christ". Count how many time this preposition is alluded to in the first dozen or so verses.

16. Allan

Allan Active Member

I have read it and used it to show the opposite view of what your view holds.

As I stated this has never been clearly or substantially proven to support your veiw, but just to give proper thought to your suggestion be a little more specific please about John *.

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I guess all of those who have not seen it that way in the last couple of centuries are being "intellectually dishonest" also? I see nothing from that text citing acting only according to nature, sorry.

18. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Every thing here you posted come from faith (belief). Again, show me where it says He changes the nature first?

19. reformedbeliever

1. And you were dead in your trespasses and sins,
    2. in which you formerly walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, of the spirit that is now working in the sons of disobedience.
    3. Among them we too all formerly lived in the lusts of our flesh, indulging the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, even as the rest.
    4. But God, being rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us,
    5. even when we were dead in our transgressions, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved),

Will this work? C'mon bob... be honest.

20. reformedbeliever

Who is the author and finisher of our faith? Belief is not faith. Even demons believe.