1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Drawing a line in the sand; end of discussion!

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Pleasant_Bill, Sep 16, 2011.

1. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

Jim--you raised some good points.

We take a 7 year old grandkiddo with us to church--and yes, she stays for big church.

We teach her to behave herself. We take her out when she doesn't....which isn't often now.

Our pastor keeps in mind that in a church with children present superlong services don't work.

And our pastor includes the kiddoes in the service--they can greet, pass out bulletins, take the offering, etc.

And our church doesn't seem to be losing them during their teen and young adult years.

2. DiamondLady

DiamondLady New Member

A couple of times I read the phrase "unruly children." I don't believe the OP said ANYTHING about the children being unruly at all...simply that there were children.

3. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

A Pastor....BANNING children from sitting with their PARENTS in the Sanctuary???

Disgracefull. Unimaginable. Ridiculous beyond belief.

I might even send him a note explaining that as a result of his decision to ban my children from sitting with my family in the sanctuary, I have decided to ban my presence and financial contributions from the sanctuary as well. :D

#23 Alive in Christ, Sep 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2011
  4. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Did you happen to watch Charles Stanley this week? He preached on that very thing. He said children should be in "big church". Even if they don't understand everything, it gets into their minds and it will grow as they do.

Couldn't agree more.

5. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have children's church while our worship service is going, but if you
    want your kids to sit with you, of course, they can. It is up to parents
    to deal with any problems, and we RARELY have problems with kids
    that aren't immediately dealt with by the parents.

Regular members all agree that babies belong in the nursery, we have
    never had a problem with anybody feeling like their toes are
    stepped on!

If a visitor comes in with a baby, we take them to the nursery, introduce them to the attendant, let them hang around for a while if they choose to, and let them choose (with gentle encouragement) to place their baby in the nursery so that THEY can get more out of the service/message. We
    have a seperate room where mothers can nurse their babies if they need
    to do so, and mothers are always welcome to come back into the nursery
    for any reason.

Pastor will tell you that his two girls are in the nursery as well.

6. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

No, I didnt see that program, but I watch his broadcast any chance I get. Sometimes on TV and sometimes on the radio if I am driving around town.

He is a good teacher for sure. :thumbsup:

7. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I think we've talked about the OP's church situation and several people (including myself) encouraged him to leave because of the increasing changes in the attitudes and actions of the leadership. Even with this the case grows that you're simply not happy and it is best for you to probably go elsewhere.

As for the topic of conversation, listen the church where I serve is a large suburban church that reaches a lot of young families with infants and young children. We provide several overflow areas for parents with children (and have a fabulous children's area with complete preschool accommodations.) Yet we still have one or two loud children or crying babies a week. It happens. Nothing you can do about, or should do about it if you're sane. It's people, we deal with people in ministry.

While I will chastise the leadership of this church I will suggest that the approach is difficult at best. Some families want their children in service with them. That's great, I hope they have a discipling home. We need parents more involved with their kids. Just last week I was sitting in service during the worship portion and a child right behind was screaming and crying for about five minutes. Finally the couple left with the kid. Other times they've sat through the whole service. It is what it is and that's why God created the man who created sound systems.

It's a tough call about how to care for children in services. Generally we encourage our staff to let them be...unless they're running up and down the aisles, yelling uncontrollably, or being very disruptive.

8. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I never felt comfortable leaving my children in the church nursery for a variety of reasons. I would not sit under the preaching of a man who refused to allow children to sit through church services. It's not his job to decide how I rear my children, that's MY job. Sounds like the pastor in the OP is a dictator, not a servant.

I believe pastors who "ban" children and babies from church services are doing a great disservice to their church members and to the children. You can't tell a child they aren't good enough, or quiet enough to be in church, then turn around and expect them to want to participate when they get older. Instead, you train them and bring them up in the Lord.

If a particular child is rude and disruptive, the pastor can discreetly talk to the parents about it. There's no need to ban children from church.

9. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I had a woman start to take a crying baby out of the sanctuary once and I stopped her. I said, "maam, you don't have to leave. That baby isn't bothering me one little bit."

She responded, "I know, but she can't stand of your preaching any more.":smilewinkgrin:

peace to you:praying:

10. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

:laugh::laugh:

11. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

My pastor usually will smile and say" looks like there is someone who thinks I forgot to study this week!"

12. Pleasant_Bill

Pleasant_Bill New Member

In response to #1: I stated the Pastor won't meet with any members these days to discuss ANY issues. He deflects/directs to the Executive Pastor who in turn just reiterates the policy in question. As a fellow Pastor, the fact that I posted about it here is what you find unsettling and not the glaring issues of his leadership (or lack thereof)? :eek:

In response to #2: yes; it's the same church. My friends at the church want us to stay and try to work through the issues we have with the leadership. We've invested a lot of our time, talents and treasures there and don't feel called to leave as of yet.

13. Pleasant_Bill

Pleasant_Bill New Member

What's more dishonoring to the Lord's name? A reclusive Pastor driving away members/guests with a suspect policy or members questioning decisions that are being made that affect the church?

Why is it deemed to be 'causing trouble' if members voice their concerns to the congregation (in this case, the only avenue of dialog available)? We are the ones who PAY the Pastors' salary, keep the lights on AND volunteer their time to help keep things running smoothly. I'm not advocating a 'Mob rule' mentality but there should ALWAYS be an open door policy with Leadership.

Any issues.

#33 Pleasant_Bill, Sep 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2011
  14. Pleasant_Bill

Pleasant_Bill New Member

Correct; ANY children. This includes special needs ones as well.

Agreed. A lot of us were in shock when he delivered his edict.

Oh and I like your idea about sending him that note concerning financial contributions. :tongue3: