1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dreams about tsunami came to pass

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Link, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Link

Link New Member

For a while now, my wife has been having dreams about tsunamis. She'd wake up and tell me about her dreams, about some village being hit by a tsunami. She's been encouraging friends in her prayer group to pray about it, and tried to get an article published in a newspaper that publishes visions and things of that nature.

Anyway, a tsunami hit the south side of Java several hours ago. I felt a quake after lunch today, and I'm wondering if that was the same quake that triggered it.

My wife believes more stuff like this is to come and is going with a group to pray at a certain city here in Indonesia because of it.

2. gekko

gekko New Member

i will be praying as well.

God bless

3. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

I will also predict that my area will be hit by a 6.5 'quake within the next 6 months.

Oh, wait, I live in an earthquake zone, just like Indonesia does.

4. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Right, and we know from Scripture that God neeeever warns people through dreams, huh?

:rolleyes:

[/sarcasm]

5. gekko

gekko New Member

way to be so critical HoG... good on ya.

yeesh.

6. Darron Steele

Darron Steele New Member

Folks: the original poster is living in Indonesia. It is a predominantly Muslim country and Christians get trouble there. They do not need to be derided by us -- they need either no communication or positive communication.

7. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

I think we need to be careful attributing things such as that to any sort of prophecy. I do dream about earthquakes. Usually, during an earthquake, and I dream about things attendant with them.

8. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Right on. God works in many ways, and we should praise God that He communicates with us at all, and especially when he warns us through prophetic dreams.

9. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Nice. So where was the tsunami while this man's wife dreamt of the tsunami?

10. Link

Link New Member

Tsunamis are fairly rare here, in my experience. I have only heard of two.

My wife says more are to come. I don't know if it's one more that hits several places or a few more.

11. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Bible is sufficient.

12. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Well, let's see: If you had gone through a terrible tsunami only a couple of years earlier, and you had a great fear of it happening again, when there's an earthquake, I think I'd dream about tsunamis as well. (In fact, we had a tsunami warning a while back here, and many people dreamed about them for several days afterwards.)

I have dreams about wars quite frequently: Is that prophetic? I dream of flying. Does it mean something? I mean, I fall, and I've figured out how to not hit bottom. I fly around.

There are many "prophecies" told daily, and when one of them comes to pass, it's "see! I told you so!" When something is likely to happen, dreaming about it or predicting it is not very unlikely. In fact, I've read many new sources and science sources that have "prophecied" more tsunamis in that area.

I know someone who is terrified of flying. He always predicts airline disasters. When one happens, he thinks he predicted it.

I'm just saying, be careful about accepting something from the subconcious mind as being from God.

BTW, I also ruin peoples' "good luck" theories surrounding lotteries.

#12 Hope of Glory, Jul 17, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2006
  13. gekko

gekko New Member

you have such a loving tone in your posts HoG...

(note the sarcasm...)

14. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Yep. Too bad more people don't realize this.

15. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

If the dream had been more specific as to day and place, one might think it could have come from God as a warning. But it seems it did not have these specifics based on the OP.

I have a great article by a mathmatician about the statistics of prediction through dreams. Because people dream several times a night and many people remember many of their dreams, and because the topics of dreams is limited, statitically speaking a certain percentage of dreams come true every year. I need to find the article to get the percentage. It's just a statistical thing and has nothing to do with real prediciton.

I dreamt once of a boat sinking and the next morning the paper had a story about a tourist boat that sank. I did not think that I had had a predictive dream. This was just a statistical coincidence.

Right after 9/11, I've had what I call my 9/11 dreams - they are different from any dreams I've had before and from my normal type dreams, and are usually vivid pictures of destructive war attacks, a feeling of doom and that there is no way out, and sometimes scenes of murder. I think this is because I live near the Pentagon (which was attacked as you may recall) -- about 6 miles. Also, I had flown home from Canada on Sept. 10, and my son, who was in Florida at the time, had a ticket to fly home on Sept. 11 (which was cancelled of course). All of these close calls (as it probably seemed to my subconscious) fueled these 9/11 dreams.

16. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

If a man don't believe in dreams He don't believe all the Scriptures. This is a hard world at times and if someone finds comfort in something leave them alone, instead of codemning it.
    Comfort your wife Link all you can and you will be doing what God wants you to do.

17. Darron Steele

Darron Steele New Member

From reading your posts, I wish you seemed to more also. Do you see it as your obligation to be proactively sarcastic and so intent on causing bad feelings even when circumstances do not demand it?

From James 3:17 "the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, easy to be entreated, full of mercy and good fruits" (ASV)
    From Galatians 5:22 "the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness" (ASV).

In contrast, Ephesians 4:31 has "Never shout angrily or say things to hurt others" (ICB). Of course, I assume you are a Christian, so I assume you have had "a foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God" (ASV) per Hebrews 6:1.

I do not agree with this dreams stuff either. However, what has bothered me about this whole exchange is that we have received communication from a Christian active in a nation whose culture is militantly hostile to Christians, and rather than encourage him or say nothing to him, he and his wife are reviled.

#17 Darron Steele, Jul 17, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2006
  18. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

So, does this mean that we should embrace something false?

I have done no "reviling" at all. I have simply pointed out that this sort of dream is simply a reaction to our subconcious, and not to be deceived by such.

The Scriptures are sufficient for all our needs. Nothing needs to be added. No new revelations are needed.

This is not simply a difference of opinion about what the Scriptures are saying. What are we commanded to do in such a situation?

We're not commanded to embrace such as that and simply say, "It's all good; just so long as it makes you feel alright!"

We're commanded to exhort, rebuke, and reprove. 2 Timothy 4:2 says, “Preach the word; be instant [stand by it] in season [opportunely], out of season [inopportunely]; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine”.] The word “reprove” means to expose; it means to censor or disprove of material or actions that are harmful. “Rebuke” means to check or stop a course of action; it means to restrain; it’s an expression of strong disapproval. “Exhort,” means incite through words of encouragement; it means to entreat.

I would encourage her to study the Scriptures daily, and not be deceived by visions such as this.

I will not, however, say, "It's all good, as long as it comforts you".

19. music4Him

music4Him New Member

I attended a class in March and have just got back from a 2nd class on the prophetic and dream interpretation through the John Paul Jackson ministry. Yes! God does talk to us in dreams... it is up to us to chose to listen.
    Link I will be praying for those that are going through this and may God bless you both and protect yall'. :flower:

20. Darron Steele

Darron Steele New Member

Then say nothing. Has that occurred to you?

Do you go to every one week old believer and list off every single thing s/he needs to do better? In countries where persecution occurs and resources are limited, opportunities for discipling are not as well-developed as they are here. Further, do you know how old this Christian might be in the Lord?

I am not the only person you have come off as sarcastic to if I read this thread right.

I find nothing `encouraging' or uplifting about your posts -- bursting people's lottery luck theories is a non-doctrinal matter and the fact you enjoy it just does not seem to jive favorably with the passages I cited and which explain what is first in a Christian's life as part of a "foundation" and our overall prevalent attitudes as Christians.

This Christian is living in a country whose population is militantly hostile to Christians -- and he and his wife are actively practicing. Do you want to exhort? How about say something about how great it is to hear first hand of Christians practicing amid persecution? Cannot say anything good? Then why not just say nothing?

#20 Darron Steele, Jul 17, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2006