1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dress code in church

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, May 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glazer1972

glazer1972 Member

My doctor has me on orders to drink over 100 ounces of water a day.

If no water bottle is allowed then I wouldn't come.

I've never had anyone in a service say anything about me having a water bottle in any church I have attended/visited.

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

And I would expect that you could absolutely still worship with a water bottle next to you. :)

3. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

CORKY CALHOUN, the basketball player? I'm pretty good but not that good. I think I could take Simon though. :laugh:

4. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So how do these food-and-drink-but-only-those-consumed-to-fill-the-stomach bans work in practice? Do you have signs? Are off-duty TSA employees hired as enforcers?

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I understand that the scanners at church are really becoming a problem. :laugh:

6. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

I always wear a suit to church on Sunday morning. However, I'm in the choir so I get to leave Sunday School early and go to the robing room where I hang up my jacket and put on my gorgeous robe.

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Let's be reasonable. The average person is advised to drink 8 eight ounce glasses of water a day. That would be 64 ounces right there. Five more glasses would put it over 100 ounces. Granted, that seems like a lot of water.

I have been to many places that don't allow food and drink.
    With 24 hours in a day, taking, at the most two hours in one day, not to drink a couple of those glasses, you could probably still make it up during the rest of the day.

Just saying: what's more important? A drink of water? or drinking the Word?
    You did say:
    "If no water bottle is allowed then I wouldn't come."
    --That's harsh!

8. Grace&Truth

Grace&Truth New Member

Just wondering about this statement....where do you get the idea that "God does not look on the outward things of a believer but ONLY looks at our hearts"....can you please share what scripture says this, or how you have arrived at this conclusion biblically????

9. sag38

sag38 Active Member

If I were a member of JohnDeer's church and I wanted to discretely bring in a bottle of water I would. If he doesn't like it then tough. Bring me up on church discipline charges. Throw me out for the sin of bringing in a bottle of water. (God forbid!) Show everybody exactly the kind of people you are and the kind of things you really focus on.

I have a glass of ice water on the stage by the chair where I sit. Sometimes, in the middle of a sermon I'll go take a sip. It refreshes my voice especially when I've been taking an antihistamine which tends to dry out the vocal cords. I guess in some folks eyes I'm violating some cardinal rule from their Pharisee's Code Book of Sanctuary Behavior for the Pastor. Seems I missed that rule somewhere in my study of the Bible. I wonder why? Perhaps, because it isn't there.

10. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We would, but not over a bottle of water. Your statement is a clear indication of a rebellious spirit.

This idea of "I'm going to do what I want to and I dare them to stop me" isn't consistent with a heart that's been regenerated by the Holy Spirit.

I wonder if Paul ever said when he was in the fellowship of Jews, "If I want to eat pork and violate the Sabbath, I will. If they don't like it, tough!" Or, if when he was in the company of gentiles, whether or not he stuck to the law and insisted that they do the same. No, I don't think he did. Every indication I can find is that he did his best to honor the customs and traditions of those he was with in order that they not be offended.

Is it a bad thing to show reverence for God? I mean, I realize this is BaptistBoard, which has adopted the Church-of-do-What-You-Want-To as their home fellowship, but is it really such a bad thing to act as though we're gathered to hear the proclamation of God's Word?

My guess is that, like the vast, vast majority of people here on BaptistBoard, you've never read it.

I'm more worried about the spirit your attitude shows.

Yes, going on the assumption, which seems to have less and less evidence behind it with each post, that you are a brother in Christ, we are worried when a brother is in sin.

I certainly hope so.

I would hope not, but you've already said that you would and even told us that you would do so defiantly.

That's true. We are very concerned with following the rules God has given us for worship.

I've never heard of that being the case.

The point isn't to punish you for having a bottle of water. Obviously, we're not talking about people who have a medical issue. but about people with issues of the heart, such as those like sag, who look at their "right" to treat the sanctuary as a causal place.

If you really have an issue where your health is put in jeopardy, then I really can't imagine anyone having a problem with you having a bottle. But would it really be that much of an imposition to ask you to go one hour without a bottle of water? And if so, then what do you do at night when you're asleep? Or couldn't you just quietly slip out the back to go get a drink?

#70 JohnDeereFan, May 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2011
  11. sag38

sag38 Active Member

I'm right. You are more worried about the fact that I'd dare to bring in a bottle of water into your (emphasis on "your") sanctuary. You are more worried about pointing out my supposed rebellious spirit than worship. Some folks can't see the forest because of a bottle of water. And, here's the kicker. You suggest that because I have a glass of water that I'm not showing reverence for God? You are right. I'm like the vast, vast majority of people here on the Baptist Board, I've never read that rule. I guess I just haven't reached that same high moral plane that you are on. Maybe one day I'll grow up and become just like you. I certainly hope not

12. sag38

sag38 Active Member

By the way, I wouldn't bring in a bottle of water to your worship service. If God called me there to be a member I'd respect the rule. I certainly wouldn't agree with it and if given the opportunity I'd exercise my right as a member to express my opinion (not that it would do much good). I was just trying to make a point. Your emphasis is not on worship but on following rules.

13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

So we see clearly here that JohnDeereFan is once again questioning the salvation of another board member. Nice.

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd also make sure there is a bathroom close @ hand.

15. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Generally, in such churches getting up and going to the bathroom in the middle of a service is frowned on too. This guy simply won't be welcomed in some places. God forbid, his bottle of water is a distraction to worship.

16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I usually try to go potty just before the service because we have to leave the house so early to get church set up that I've usually had at least a cup of tea and a cup of coffee by the time the service starts. However, yesterday, I was busy talking and forgot. I barely made it to the end of the service and I sit up front running the projector so if I get up, everyone knows it! LOL Only once did I have to leave the service and it was a similar situation but I guess with more fluids and an earlier crisis time. LOL I felt bad because it was like the second time my husband was preaching but my bladder was NOT going to wait.

But I do generally encourage at least my family to get to the bathroom before the service.

17. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've had to keep a cup of water on the piano a couple of times. Cold water - ice water, with ice in the water. It keeps me from coughing my blasted head off during seasonal allergies when my cough gets really bad - like today. :BangHead:

I've only done this twice that I can think of. My pastor has done it once that I can think of. If there has been a church member in the congregation that did this, I never saw it nor would I have cared.

I just don't see the big deal.

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One more excuse to not go to church :thumbs:

19. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Well, to SOME churches. We have coffee!!! :D

Oh, funny thing about that coffee. I had my travel mug with coffee still left in it. I had gotten the first cup out of the carafe at the hotel (we meet in a hotel) and it was now after the service and I was speaking to Iconoclast, who visited us last week. Well, wouldn't you know it but I got a HUGE amount of grinds at the bottom of the cup and when I went to take that last big swig, I get a mouthful! I think I was discreet when I spit it back into the cup, but I'm not sure. ICKY!!

20. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think the ice water even counts, according to the edict handed down by Salty:

What is determinative is whether it is "for the purpose of filling ones stomach".

The ice water's purpose is not for filling Pastor's stomach, it's to ensure his voice doesn't give out an hour or two into his sermon!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.