1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Dressing down

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Berean, Dec 25, 2012.

1. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why might a pastor "dress down?" Here are several reasons our family has experienced at one time or another, and I've included how God's wonderful people could offer to help remedy the "problem."

1. All of his suits might be at the cleaners. Perhaps the church could give the pastor a gift card to the dry cleaners so he doesn't have to wait for his mother to get his suits cleaned as a Christmas gift. (Don't ask me how I know this!)

2. It's winter. Ever have water pipes burst? Laundry piles up fast when you don't have water. Maybe churches could take better care of the parsonage or give the pastor a raise so he can keep his own home in better repair. Better yet, get some men of the church to come over and help fix the pipes.

3. Maybe they didn't have time to do laundry. This remedy is simple. Ease the pastor's load by volunteering to do more at church so he doesn't have to do it all.

4. Maybe he had a flat tire, was working in the garden, or time got away from him and he didn't have time to change before church. In which case, see answer #3 for the solution.

5. Maybe he is a disorganized mess and his wife didn't pick up after him, so he couldn't FIND anything to wear without risking an avalanche in the closet. Again, see the answer for #3, as this will give him time to clean up after himself to wear appropriate attire. An alternate solution would be to offer housecleaning services.

6. Maybe the church is dead and he's trying to get their attention. The remedy for this is to come to every service on time, every time, pay attention during the service, SING during congregational worship, and volunteer to do any work around the church. This will encourage the pastor so much, he will dress up for such a festive occasion.

7. Maybe he is sick and tired of the church and ministry and really DOESN'T care anymore. In this case, he's probably experiencing burnout and needs a paid vacation without a cell phone.

8. It may well be he had too much to eat at the last church potluck. Tell those widows to stop making fried chicken!

9. He has no good clothing to wear. Give him a gift card to buy clothes. Don't give him cash, as he will only use it to fix the leaky pipes at the church parsonage.

10. He's a dirty bum who doesn't love his church. In fact, he's probably not even saved. He's only serving at the church because he can't find anyone else to hire him as a garbage collector, street sweeper, or thug for organized crime. If this is the case, feed him, clothe him, pray for him, encourage him, and find a better pastor to come and train him. While you're at it, find another pastor to train the church so they will learn to attract better clergy.
    I hope this helps answers the OP's question.

2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I understand your point. But all of us have preferences. Back in the 1970s, I preferred that our teenagers not wear mini-skirts because they were a distraction. It was about that time that opposition to women wearing pants in our church melted away. Pants became an acceptable alternative to short skirts.

And, why should the grungy pastor get to make a standard based on his own preference, and we old geezers shouldn't?

I don't quite understand why we will willingly and enthusiastically abide by the dress code required on the job, but want no standards at all for the house of the Lord?

3. TadQueasy

TadQueasy Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is my point, neither should be able to make standards on their preferences. We should stick to the standards shown to us in the Word such as modesty.

4. TadQueasy

TadQueasy Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Forgot this part in my last post. I never said there should be no standards, just not standards based on personal preferences, which IMO seems to be the norm in most churches. Went on a mission trip a couple years ago to Africa. In this area of Africa the church gathers together and all the men wear white shirts with ties. We were told before going to make sure and take a white shirt and ties. Now where do you think they got this from? The personal preferences of an influential Christian from the USA.

5. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Since, it was apparently out of the norm for at least one of the pastors, perhaps this mode of dress related to the point of the message that night.

Your post reminds me of a message delivered by our deacons at one service. Each deacon wore something or did something during their message that reflected putting Christ after things of the world. One example, was putting sports related activities ahead of attending worship services.

Based on your knowledge of him, it sounds like one of the pastors borrowed a sweater from a shorter friend for that evening.

Just a thought this morn.

6. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Well said, Tom. I'm an old geezer, too. Have no problem with more casual clothing, whether in the pulpit or the congregation. I do have a problem where casual wear has crossed the line into indecency and lack of respect to God, others, and self.

7. TadQueasy

TadQueasy Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, this is a subjective statement. At what point is the line crossed? Just about everyone you could talk to would have different answers. One person would say no tie equals a lack of respect. One would say no suit equals a lack of respect. One would say a shirt untucked is a lack of respect. And so on.

8. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not one to dwell on what a person wears to church, but the key phrase in the OP is "I know he would not sit around the house dressed like he was dressed."

In other words, this pastor went out of his way to go super casual. On Christmas Eve. According to the OP, that's unusual. Did he dress like this because there may be first time visitors attending and he didn't want to appear stiff and formal? Hopefully the church is not going seeker sensitive...

I think the only way you are going to find out is to ask him.

9. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

What does age have to do with anything? I'm 22 and I always wear a suit and tie to church on Sundays.

10. TadQueasy

TadQueasy Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Never said it did. I said it "might be".

11. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is not a new problem.

From The Proceedings of the London Baptist Assembly of 1689 (yes this is the very group whose Confession several BB members supposedly "hold to":rolleyes:)

"The Questions Proposed from the several Churches, Debated, and Resolved
    . . . . .
    Q. Whether it be not necessary for the Elders, Ministring-Brethren, and Messengers of the Churches to take into their serious consideration those Excesses that are found among their Members, Men and Women, with respect to their Apparel:

A. In the Affirmative. That it is a shame for Men to wear long Hair, or long Perewigs, and especially ministers, 1 Cor.11.14. or strange apparel, Zeph.1.8. . . .The Apostle Paul exhorts, in 1 Tim.2.9,10, Women adorn themselves in modest Apparel, with Shamefac'dness and Sobriety: not with Broidered Hair, or Gold, or Pearls, or costly Array; but with good Works, as becometh Women professing Godliness. And 1 Pet.3.3,4,5. Whose adorning let it not be the outward adorning, of plaiting the Hair, and of wearing of Gold, or of putting on of Apparel; but the Ornament of a meek and quiet Spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price. For after this (fashion) manner, the holy Women who trusted in God adorned themselves. And therefore we cannot but bewail it with much Sorrow and Grief of Spirit, That those Brethren and Sisters, who have solemnly professed to deny themselves, Mat.16.24. And who are by Profession obliged in Duty not to conform to this world, Rom.12.2. should so much conform to the Fashions of this World, and not reform themselves in those Inclinations that their natures addicted them to in days of ignorance, 1 Pet.1.14."

12. Berean

Berean Member
    Site Supporter

I think this is revelant to the subject. Over the past several years I have served as a volunteer in my churches family ministeries primarily hospital and nursing home visitation. I have noticed that when I dress traditionally (coat, tie ect) doctors and nurses will wait and in some cases hold the door open for you, and care givers will give you as much information as they legally can, much more so then when you are dressed in jeans and a plaid sport shirt.

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then you will be referred to as a "Suit" .....pocket protectors are required... LOL. Hey, do you get extra points for bow ties? How bout adding a pipe to the ensemble?

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Drat..... I guess I will have to ditch the Perewig!:eek:

15. Berean

Berean Member
    Site Supporter

Not a bad idea.

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You would have to rename yourself "Kingsfield" :laugh:

Here is another idea, I can get a great price on those Italian style running suits the wise guys wear in New Jersey......they traffic them by the "gross" :smilewinkgrin: in the garment district. Black with white stripes up the sides. If you buy black sneakers (I like old school Adidas or Puma styles) that could be the new Pastor "Uniform" Think of the money you would save, the cost of clothing, the comfort factor & the real bonus is if you resemble Tony Suprano, they might respect you all the more & even hold the door for you ....:laugh:

17. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'm not on staff but am a teacher and I definitely dressed down for the children's program.

Why? Because we had children participating who's parents cannot afford better than some torn jeans and worn shirts.

We are wanting them to start coming to church and learning of Jesus, just as the bus kids are doing.

We don't want not having nice enough clothes to be a stumbling block.

But gotta say, jeans, an untucked t shirt and shorter pull-over sweater are not dressed down here. They are the fashion of the day.

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good point....if you act as if your a private yuppie effete place you will scare off the po folk. We can be clean and orderly however. Both my dad and mom resented anyone who wore"past their life cycle" clothing that isn't mended like holes in shoes, jeans etc. Don't have to look like a dirty rag a muffin ...moms words may she rest in lease.

19. Sminasian

Sminasian Member

I think it is a matter of respect. It is GODS house, and pastors and church members should always DRESS UP.

20. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We must not be reading the same Bible. My Bible says that God does not have an earthly house made with hands. His house is my heart!