1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Dressing down

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Berean, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

But then again remember that style of dress was de rigeur in the USA EVERYWHERE in the 1940's and 1950's, even into the 1960's. Just watch re-runs of 'I Love Lucy' or 'Ozzie and Harriet' to confirm.

2. P311031

P311031 New Member

I think it's disgraceful how people especially preachers think its o.k. to dress down. Yes, I'm there to worship The Lord but let us be modestly dressed & not worldly. Everyone should be dressed formally. I think it is offensive to see church goers dressed worldly if not ungodly in church or outside of church for that matter. They should feel ashamed if they dress this way because it tells me that they aren't truly saved then. They care more for this evil world than God.

#62 P311031, Dec 31, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2012
  3. Monster

Monster New Member

Please explain to me how formal dress is any less worldly than non-formal. Use scripture please. Try and convince me of my "maybe" unsaved and lost status because I wear T-shirts to church. Who knows, you may save this wretched soul.

And why should an unsaved person feel ashamed of dressing as the "world"...assuming your arguments about dressing improperly are correct.

4. TadQueasy

TadQueasy Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What a complete mess of a response--dressing formally does not equal modest. The Biblical standard is modesty, not formal.

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

God looks on the heart - the world looks at the dress.

If you decide someone is not truly saved because they are not in a suit or tie, then what does this verse say? You are of the world.

I could be in church in my sweatpants and a sweatshirt and love the Lord just the same as if I were in a formal gown. Dress doesn't matter. The heart matters.

6. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

:thumbs::applause::applause::thumbsup:

7. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hope this is a satirical post. If not, are you saying that church goers should dress like worldly politicians, worldly bankers, worldly movie stars, worldly lawyers, worldly businesspeople, and always dress up?