1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Drink in Moderation; Smoke Pot in Moderation

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Marcia, Nov 17, 2009.

?
  1. Drink in moderation, but do not smoke pot

10 vote(s)
    30.3%
  2. Drink in moderation, smoke pot in moderation

5 vote(s)
    15.2%
  3. Smoke pot in moderation, but no drinking

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  4. No drinking or smoking pot for the believer

13 vote(s)
    39.4%
  5. Not sure

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other (please explain)

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  1. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Good observation, preachinjesus. You get extra points for the proper ue of "prima facie". :thumbs:

2. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

lol...well having a PhD is worth at least knowing when to use the right words :D

3. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Wine (of the kind that the bible says not to partake too much of) is spoken of positively in nearly 60 places within scripture. In Deuteronomy, God tells them to take the tithe (I can see some of the Southern Baptists looks of horrors on this forum) and....

Deu 14:26 and spend the money for whatever you desire--oxen or sheep or wine or strong drink, whatever your appetite craves. And you shall eat there before the LORD your God and rejoice, you and your household.

If it was in any way wrong or sinful, God would NEVER tell them to do it.

Secondly, drugs, like Marijuana, are specifically forbidden by scripture, in all instances. Please note:

Gal 5:19 Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality,
    Gal 5:20 idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions,

This type of "sorcery" refers to the use of mind altering drugs; it is where we get the word "Pharmacy" from...

G5331
    φαρμακεία
    pharmakeia
    Thayer Definition:
    1) the use or the administering of drugs

Conclusion: The Bible says (NOTE: This is not what Damon says: it is what the Bible says) alcohol is o.k., and even GOOD in moderation. No amount of drug use is o.k.

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

See, I would have figured that would have been some sort of foundation make-up. "prima" being primer and "facie" being face. So primer of the face is foundation! :laugh:

5. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

How can there be a fallacy in the OP when I didn't make any assertions?

6. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

My question assumes that pot is legal. I also should have clarified I am not asking about smoking pot for medicinal benefits (if any).

7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's a non sequitur.

He permitted it; He didn't command it, just as slavery, divorce and polygamy were all permitted in the law.

#27 Aaron, Nov 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2009
  8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If by "in moderation" you mean 5 ounces for the average man, then you're right.

9. Johnv

Johnv New Member

"In moderation" is whatever amount a person can drink without becoming drunk. It will be different for every person. For me, I can have one bottle of beer or one glass of wine in a 45 minute period. For some it will be more, others less.
    Those things are still condemned by scripture. Consuming alcohol is not condemned in scripture (but drunkenness is).

#29 Johnv, Nov 18, 2009
  10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Does this sound like He just permitted it?

Deuteronomy 7:13
    He will love you, bless you, and multiply you. He will also bless the fruit of your womb and the fruit of your ground, your grain and your wine and your oil, the increase of your herds and the young of your flock, in the land that he swore to your fathers to give you.

Deuteronomy 14:24-26
    And if the way is too long for you, so that you are not able to carry the tithe, when the LORD your God blesses you, because the place is too far from you, which the LORD your God chooses, to set his name there, then you shall turn it into money and bind up the money in your hand and go to the place that the LORD your God chooses and spend the money for whatever you desire—oxen or sheep or wine or strong drink, whatever your appetite craves. And you shall eat there before the LORD your God and rejoice, you and your household.

11. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No such thing as smoking pot in moderation.

12. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    See post #14

13. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My point was that the idea that if it's wrong God would NEVER have "commanded" it is a logical fallacy.

But still, drinking wine is not commanded. It was allowed, like slavery, polygamy and divorce.

14. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't need to. I have been there done that.

15. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

Disregarding the fact of breaking the law, but talking just about the affects.

Unless the stuff it complete garbage (which nobody would buy in purpose), nobody can smoke pot without getting high. And while yes some pot is much more mild, while others can be killer, a person will still get a buzz if they smoke any pot worth buying.

On the other hand a person can be at a ball game on a a hot afternoon and choose to have a glass of beer and not get even the slightest buzz.

16. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

While not dogmatic about this, I believe this verse speaks against drugs.

Deu 32:32 "For their vine is from the vine of Sodom, And from the fields of Gomorrah; Their grapes are grapes of poison, Their clusters, bitter. "

The word for poison used here is this:

7219 ro'sh roshe or rowsh (Deut. 32:32) {roshe}; apparently the same as 7218; a poisonous plant, probably the poppy (from its conspicuous head); generally poison (even of serpents):--gall, hemlock, poison, venom.

Strong's says it is probably the poppy, and I might add that also with a marijuana plant the buds are "clusters", and very well could have been described as grapes or clusters of poison.

#36 Steven2006, Nov 18, 2009
  17. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

lol...that's funny:thumbsup:

18. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

it's hard to speculate on a hypothetical.

That said I don't believe smoking cigarettes is wrong. It's a misappropriation of Scripture to suggest otherwise.

With pot you're talking about a drug that has a deeper impact in terms of addictive properties, cognitive effects, and overall health issues. The medical use, I can't speculate on it because I haven't done any research in this area.

The wider ethical issue is the obvious nature of how different levels of personal impact (health, mental functions, addictive properties, etc) do we permit or deny to ourselves. We all use substances, or come into contact with substances, frequently that have some impact on our person.

If you eat fast food, it isn't the best for you. If you drink caffeinated drinks, they aren't the best for you. If you drive in traffic with the windows down, it isn't the best for you. If you eat processed food, they aren't the best for you. The list goes on and on.

At some point we all have to do some kind of categorization for what we allow to impact us. Even the federal government uses different categories when talking about controlled substances.

All that said, while I don't have any experience with any tobacco or pot substances I have seen clear evidence that pot is a far stronger drug than tobacco. The effects are more far reaching and impacting. You can't compare pot to alcohol well so it is hard to see a comparison imho.

I would suggest that, even in a legalized setting, it would be a wise decision to stay away from it for the follower of Christ.

19. JPPT1974

JPPT1974 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't drink, smoke, do drugs. As pot and marijauna are illegal drugs IMHO. A drug that is illegal is just that, an illegal drug!

20. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Le 10:9 Do not drink wine nor strong drink, thou, nor thy sons with thee, when ye go into the tabernacle of the congregation, lest ye die: it shall be a statute for ever throughout your generations:
    Nu 6:3 He shall separate himself from wine and strong drink, and shall drink no vinegar of wine, or vinegar of strong drink, neither shall he drink any liquor of grapes, nor eat moist grapes, or dried.
    Jg 13:4 Now therefore beware, I pray thee, and drink not wine nor strong drink, and eat not any unclean thing:
    Pr 20:1 ¶ Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.

There is your answer. Anything that you take for the express purpose of getting high is wrong.