1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Drinking Alcohol Moderately

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by PrivateWoman, Sep 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I agree with most everything you said but do have a bit of an issue with the "I tell my students not to drink...and then I do? I see that as hypocritical". See, I tell my kids not to have sex but I do and I don't see that as hypocritical. ;) I explain to any teen that I'm talking to that first of all, it's illegal and therefore, they need to follow the law. If I were to drink, I'm following the law as well. I also tell them when they hit the drinking age, it is their choice whether to drink or not - BUT I tell them some of the good reasons not to drink but let them know that it's NOT a sin to drink unless they get drunk and if they DO drink, they need to be sure they are using wisdom (thinking of the reasons not to drink - pretty much what you listed here) and do not drive even with one drink. I again reiterate that it's a liberty we have but where we have liberty, we need to use wisdom and most likely, it is best for them to just not drink.

So I don't think it's hypocritical to tell a teen not to drink and then drink yourself as an adult because the number one reason a teen should not drink is because it's illegal. :)

2. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Good point Ann.

3. PrivateWoman

PrivateWoman Member

I don't feel that you can compare sex to alcohol. God created sex for marriage between a husband and a wife only. I have been taught that I should not have sex until I am married. The bible teaches that way. In fact, sex is a very important part of marriage.

I feel alcohol is completely different. I do feel it is hypocritical for a parent to drink alcohol and tell their children to not drink at all. Think of all young people above the age of 21 who have died or become alcoholics because of alcohol. I feel that people should never drink at all. I am so grateful to God for my parents. They taught my sister and me that we should never drink. My sister has a lot of friends who drink. Fortunately, she has never given in and I'm very proud of her. She is 27 now.

The truth is many young people under 21 drink. Think about how many high schoolers drink.

Laws that allow people to do certain things after a certain age are not good. For example, you cannot go in adult stores until you are 18. Adult stores should not exist at all. Think about how much better the world would be if alcohol didn't exist. Many people would still be alive today if alcohol didn't exist. Alcohol has killed so many people.

4. Fred's Wife

Fred's Wife Member

Amen and amen! :thumbs:

5. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

And why not drive after drinking one drink? After all, all the moderation advocates swear up and down that one drink does not make them drunk.

The fact is, your statement, 'do not drive even with one drink' reveals that you know that one drink affects the person's reflexes and thought process. I would say if their thought process and reflexes are affected then that constitutes a degree of drunkenness.

6. sag38

sag38 Active Member

I thikn tha drunking is aok so long as yov do et in monderation. Ok, bek to my six peck.

7. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I appreciate your thoughts and concerns on this. I truly do.

A couple of points --

Of course there are laws which restrict activities until a person reaches a certain age -- voting, driving, attending certain movies, joining the military, staying out past a certain time (as some areas have curfews), etc. Consuming alcohol fits into that category.

I agree -- parents should not be hypocrites. However, it is not hypocritical to drink and then tell your children not to drink -- because they are children. Now if I told my adult kids not to drink, then that would be hypocritical.

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You know lack of sleep does the same thing, texting while driving, eating while driving, etc...that makes all of those actions "drunkeness"?

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Alcohol exists because God created fermentation...better take that up with Him (if you are brave enough) :)

You do realize there are over 240 passages in Scripture dealing directly with wine and/or "other strong drink", and only drunkenness is described as sinful? Just as many passages deal with it as a blessing, in fact not having it in some cases is deemed as a curse.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Excellent point...and I would also qualify that as it's illegal to drink before 21 in America. The law in our land used to be 18, and in some countries there is no age.

11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

What is God's measurement of drunkenness?? He says that wine gladdens the heart. Would you say that if wine makes you happy, then you are already drunk?

I tell my children not to drive after one drink (not that they drink yet) because of safety.

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

A hypocrite is one who says "don't do" one thing but goes ahead and does it anyway. To tell an underage child not to drink while they are underage and then having a glass of wine themselves is not hypocritical. If the parent says drinking is bad and tells their children to never drink then they have that glass of wine, THEN they are hypocrites.

As for the comparison to sex, it's absolutely a good comparison.

13. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

God did not create fermentation. Fermentation is a result of the curse put upon the earth when man fell. Fermentation is a result of decay, not new life.

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

First, you are wrong that it is a result of decay. Clearly you do not know about the chemical effects of fermentation.

Second, do you have Scripture fermentation and/or decay is the result of the fall? What happened to Adam and Eve's...um...elimination in the garden of Eden?

15. PrivateWoman

PrivateWoman Member

The comparision to sex is certainly not a good one because sex is reserved between a husband and a wife only. Someone should wait for sex until he/she is 30 if that's when he/she gets married. This is not about age.

I am so grateful for the way my parents raised me. They taught me that drinking alcohol is wrong. They both saw what alcohol did to their families. My dad is not proud of the fact he drank alcohol earlier in his life. He told me that he drank because he saw his dad drinking. That was such a bad example. It is sad, but my grandfather wasted so many years drinking. He quit drinking when he became a Christian and then one year later he passed away.

There is nothing positive about drinking alcohol. It's also a waste of money. Why drink alcohol anyway when there are so many wonderful non-alcoholic drinks?

16. PrivateWoman

PrivateWoman Member

I found it very puzzling when one of my sister's friends who drinks wine moderately said that she could not drink wine at a party because she was going to drive home that night. I don;t know if she has ever gotten drunk. But I suspect she may have accidentally gotten drunk after drinking one time. She is pretty thin so maybe one drink does make her a little drunk.

Drinking moderately is not certainly a good idea. It is better to never drink alcohol at all. You really ruin your testimony if you drink.

One of my cousins who may not be a Christian drinks. I found it interesting that she abstained completely from drinking alcohol during her pregnancy. She didn't want to risk hurting her unborn baby. Even a little amount of alcohol can hurt you.

David Wilkerson has written a great article on Sipping Saints at http://www.believersweb.org/view.cfm?ID=184 and I encourage everyone here who thinks it is okay to drink moderately to read it.

17. PrivateWoman

PrivateWoman Member

Article One Pastor Wrote

I wanted to share with you all about what one pastor said below:

Pastor Kevin Bishop, Living Waters Fellowship, Wisconsin Rapids
    One of the largest setbacks for members of the Body of Christ is the question of whether or not it is OK for Christians to engage in drinking alcohol. There are many diversities of belief in different circles of faith, however I believe the Bible is very specific with regard to this topic.
    The church wants to try to justify that drinking alcohol is OK. They say that one or two drinks will not make one drunk, therefore the Bible does not condemn it. Well, let’s see what the Scriptures have to say; the Bible speaks of alcohol in many cases. For instance:
    “Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.” (Prov. 20:1)“Be not among winebibbers.... For the drunkard and the glutton shall come to poverty.” (Proverbs 23:20-21)
    “Who hath woe? Who hath sorrow? Who hath contentions? Who hath babbling? Who hath wounds without cause? Who hath redness of eyes? They that tarry long at the wine; they that go to seek mixed wine. Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his colour in the cup, when it moveth itself aright. At the last it biteth like a serpent, and stingeth like an adder. Thine eyes shall behold strange women, and thine heart shall utter perverse things. They have stricken me, shalt thou say, and I was not sick; they have beaten me, and I felt it not: when shall I awake? I will seek it yet again.” (Proverbs 23:29-35).“Woe unto them that rise up early in the morning, that they may follow strong drink; that continue until night, till wine inflame them!” (Isaiah 5:11).[/
    “Woe unto them that are mighty to drink wine, and men of strength to mingle strong drink.” (Isaiah 5:22).
    “But they also have erred through wine, and through strong drink are out of the way; the priest and the prophet have erred through strong drink, they are swallowed up of wine, they are out of the way through strong drink; they err in vision, they stumble in judgment.” (Is.28:7).
    “Woe unto him that giveth his neighbour drink, that puttest thy bottle to him, and makest him drunken.” (Habakkuk 2:15).
    “Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.”[/B]In all of these verses we find wine, strong drink, and such references to alcohol to be condemned. Furthermore there is a great passage in the book of Romans 14:21 declares, “It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor anything whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.” This verse is clear in that it not only condemns all that would cause a brother to stumble but also points out alcoholism as well. When I hear the argument that you can drink as long as you do not become a drunk, I like to think of this verse. It states simply not to drink wine. Since most argue that wine is OK and the Bible says so this point needs to be made within its context.
    Will an occasional drink edify the saints? I have heard before that there are those who like to drink but only do it in moderation. I have heard of those who go to bars but drink soda. I have heard of those who say, “it’s only one drink.” The phrase “wine cooler” is also popular among those that are weak in this way. In Thessalonians 5:22 there is a simple statement made. That statement was to “abstain from the appearance of evil.”
    Do not let the Church be a haven of misconception. The Bible is very clear on this subject. It is rather unfortunate that this answer even needed to be written. There are reasons behind most of what I write. The reason behind this is that the Bible is a set of boundaries for protection and it has marked every alcoholic bottle and can with the skull of eternal death.
    My favorite question to the occasional drinker is about Jesus. Could you see Jesus coming home from a hard day, and cracking open a can of beer and taking a drink? Are we not supposed to be doing all things to the glory of God? (I Corinthians 10:31) “Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.”The next time you enter the bar think on these things. The next time you enter in the store to buy some of these drinks, think on these things. Ask yourself, is it worth my soul?

#77 PrivateWoman, Sep 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2010
  18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Why is that puzzling? Would it be equally puzzling if she hadn't slept in 24 hours and did the same thing?
    If this is your conviction, I agree. If you are trying to apply your conviction to others on a matter Scripture does not agree with you, that is purely legalism. Scripture most certainly does address alcohol consumption in moderation, and it is even a curse NOT to have access to it in some places.
    Why is that interesting? You are not supposed to sleep on your back when you are pregnant as well as that could hurt the baby...are you going to tell me that sleeping on your back is sinful as well?
    If you start off with a false presupposition (any alcohol consumption is sin), you will arrive at a faulty conclusion. That is a faulty hermeneutic.

19. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I was told by my doctor to drink beer when I was nursing. It would help increase my milk and relax me when I was having a hard time nursing my son.

20. PrivateWoman

PrivateWoman Member

It was puzzling to me because she usually drinks a little. Moderation advocates say that you should be able to drink if you only had one drink.

There are many scriptures that talk about how bad alcohol is.

It is so sad to see how many Christians believe that it is okay to drink alcohol. It certainly doesn't bring glory to God. I am deeply offended when Christians drink. Many people would still be alive today if alcohol didn't exist.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.