1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Drinking Alcohol Poll--

Discussion in '2008 Archive' started by Joe, Oct 10, 2007.

?

Views on Drinking Alcohol

Poll closed Oct 20, 2007.
  1. I drink alcohol and do not consider it sin in and of itself

5.3%
  2. I drink alcohol occasionally and do not consider it a sin in and of itself

28.9%
  3. I do not drink and consider it a sin

18.4%
  4. I do not drink and don't consider it a sin in and of itself.

47.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. standingfirminChrist

Argue that one with God, KenH. I bet you won't get Him to believe it any more than you will get me to believe it.

2. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then since you think if abstain from alcohol that you are doing what the Bible commands, and if you do what the Bible commands "you will not be doing that which is right in your own eyes"... then in your own eyes you do not think drinking alcohol is wrong. Correct?

3. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I no longer drink, but don't see it as a sin or judge anyone who drinks in moderation. I also respect the views of those who see any alcohol consumption as a sin.

The Bible doesn't say anything against drinking in moderation so I can't consider it a sin, in and of itself.

But what we have to take into account is that everyone is at a different place in their walk with Christ and God has given each man different liberties.

While it doesn't violate my conscience to drink a little alcohol in moderation, I also recognize that it could tempt someone who's conscience would be violated or maybe someone who struggles with the sin of drunkenness.

While I'm grateful to God for giving me the liberty to drink in moderation, I don't want to dishonor Him by using that liberty to become a stumbling block. So, I quit.

The funny thing is, when they put me in a ministry position at my church, that's when I really started to consider how other people saw what I do and what sort of an example it is.

Every once in a great while, if I know I'm going to be in a "safe" area, I'll have one, but I literally can count on one hand all of the beer I've drunk in the last year.

The worst part is that I had just discovered Mike's Hard Lemonade when I made the decision to stop.

4. Joe

Joe New Member

Drinking liquid drugs which hurt the body and alter the mind is not edifying. We are to treat our bodies as temples. Nothing should enter the temple which is not pure. This includes food which is riddled with drugs (chemicals).

Usually, if the food ate originated from a box, or a box is used in the preparation process, if it was frozen, or if it was obtained at any fast food restaurant, it is junk. Eat fresh and organic as much as possible.

If it reads low fat, diet or reduced calorie, run like the wind. Altered sugar always = trouble. These chemicals cause disease and obesity. All our water here has a low dose of hormones due to women taking birth control pills and the urine getting into the water systems. Young girls develop faster due to this problem. So again, more drugs ingested against our will.

Sweets ought to be pure, and prepared in the "homemade" fashion using pure vanilla, pure sugar, cage free eggs, pure butter, (no margarine) etc...In the end, this is less fattening and healthier since there are less drugs (chemicals) involved. It tastes so much better.

Eating food riddled with chemical drugs has the same "rush" or "slight high" effect as alcohol. I can feel it, and I don't like it :mad:

#24 Joe, Oct 11, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2007
  5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no need for me to do so as I have aligned my view with God's Word on this issue.

6. standingfirminChrist

If you drink alcoholic beverages or even encourage the drinking of them even in moderation... you are not in alignment with God's Word as His Word demands abstinence.

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is not true. You demand abstinence, not God.

8. standingfirminChrist

No, God's Word demands abstinence. You are just not willing to hear it or accept it.

9. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Looks like the poll is running 3 to one for it not being sinful. Most of your devoted brothers & sisters don't agree with your interpretation, SFIC.

10. Joe

Joe New Member

What do you feel God's word says about alcohol used for medicinal purposes?

11. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    God's Word does no such thing. You are attempting to read your own personal opinion into God's Word. You will not be able to do so successfully. I will not allow you to bind your opinion on me and I encourage others reading this thread to make up their own minds and not allow you to browbeat them into accepting your opinion.

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

What kind of wine do you think the Lord of Hosts will be serving from Isaiah 25:6?

13. Magnetic Poles

Hopefully a fine Merlot. :laugh:

14. Joe

Joe New Member

Imho, it will be the best tasting wine, nothing like what we have on earth. There will be no intoxicating effects since we will not be in the fleshly bodies.

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

This is wrong on a couple of fronts. First, our bodies will be resurrected, so we will have real bodies to eat and drink.

Second, God tells us what kind of wine He will serve...the well aged wine. Even today we know what the best wines are. They are the well aged variety. The vintage makes all of the difference. Well aged grape juice is alcoholic. It's wine, good wine.

Call any liquor store and ask them what the best wine they have is. I guarantee it will be very old.

16. standingfirminChrist

Does not matter if the posters on here agree with me or not. The Word of God commands abstinence, so I will continue to preach it.

17. standingfirminChrist

It is not my opinion, it is God's Word... accept it or not, like it or not.

18. standingfirminChrist

The Lord will be serving to those who disobey His Word the wine of His wrath.

19. standingfirminChrist

If you call on the God of the Word and really listen to the leading of the Holy Spirit, He will tell you the best wine is not fermented. Fermented wine mocks, it deceives, it bites like a serpent and stings like an adder, it causes one to act foolishly. God's new wine in Heaven will not have any intoxicating effects in it at all. If you think it will be, you are wrong.

20. Magnetic Poles

Would that include self-righteous know it alls? I imagine you'll be surprised when he asks if you'd like a glass. Of course, you'll say, no thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.