1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Drinking: Can You Really Handle It?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Feb 2, 2014.

?
  1. ... been drunk?

17 vote(s)
    85.0%
  2. ... drove under the influence of alcohol?

15 vote(s)
    75.0%
  3. ... drank to hide sadness?

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  4. ... drank just for the fun of it?

17 vote(s)
    85.0%
  5. ... lost count of the number of drinks you had?

12 vote(s)
    60.0%
  6. ... found yourself wanting more to get the same buzz that less once brought you?

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  7. ... found yourself defending your drinking to others?

6 vote(s)
    30.0%
  8. ... felt the conviction of the Holy Ghost to stop drinking?1

11 vote(s)
    55.0%
  9. ... hiding your drinking from the church or pastor?

6 vote(s)
    30.0%
  10. ... wondering if you may be sinning?

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, But Remember ...

In that time and age, there was not much in the form of medicine, and wine was used in a medicinal way.

As for drinking and diabetes. There are not many good doctors who would encourage a diabetic to drink, even in moderation! I know this because I am a Type 2, and been asked by every doctor that's ever treated if I drank! And they said if I did, I should consider ending it, as it was bad for my condition!

Just a thought my brother!

2. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I differ on two points.....

As to the witness. If a non believer, or a baby or immature Christian saw the pastor of deacon's drinking alcohol, the witness to them would be, [if they wanted an excuse or reason to drink] IT IS JUST FINE for them too! What's that old hymn "Give me that old-time religion" said?

Give me that old-time religion
    It’s good enough for me.

It was good for the Hebrew children.
    And it’s good enough for me​

AND in the case of someone looking closely at how a Christian lives, and they see a Christian drinking, it could sway them to say, I don't want any of that kind of religion?

Finally, for the hyper-critical brothers and sisters, seeing the pastor or deacon or church member out drinking, or drinking around their home, makes for the stumbling block of judgement, gossip and back-biting to come out. So the witness of a believer drinking in the eyes of a hyper critical believer could lead them to sin in other forms of sin!

I happen to think that the witness of a believer drinking, could have a lot of negative repercussions on a lot of other people. Let's just say that a glass of Gallo's "Ripple" could quite possibly send a "ripple" of sin reverberating across the waters of the fellowship; affecting more people than just the drinker! Of course this is JMHO!

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thats funny....I just view you as hyper critical nut jobs. This wall you put up against a person simply because they have an occasional drink makes me NOT want to have anything to do with you.

4. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But that doesn't make your view any more credible?

Perhaps such a post just shows how entrenched in deceit one may be.

What is the very definition of deceit or being deceived?

Is the one deceived aware until the deceit is accomplished?

"Wine is a mocker" - that is fact - just as true as "God is love." If one accepts the later as factual, they remain inconsistent by not accepting the first as factual.

The goal of the enemy is to deceive. One is not wise if they are deceived.

That is Scriptural principle.

That some make all manner of excuse and look for "permission" is just further evidence of the power of deceit.

5. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I'm curious how you view the cup in 1Corinthians 11:17-33

Paul said that some were getting drunk (verse 21), and for that reason many were sick and some had died. This was the Lord's Supper, and Paul doesn't seem to reprimand them for using an alcoholic drink, just that they were abusing it.

6. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:

7. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What's EVEN More Funny is...

....that I didn't know we had anything to do with each other in the first place? You have never been a fan of my opinions, views and theology...and THAT IS YOUR RIGHT!

I am certainly not going to lose sleep with the fact that you don't want to have ANYTHING to do with me! In fact, if you put me on ignore, my feelings will not be hurt, and you won't have to read my "Hyper-critical" thoughts [as if this board isn't already full of hyper-critical folks?]!

So lighten up EWF....I don't want to be the cause behind anyone drinking to forget me :)

:smilewinkgrin:

#47 righteousdude2, Feb 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2014
  8. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the first place, I was simply making an exegetical point, using my Greek experience to try to help folks understand the Word a little more. In the second place, I've done these alcohol threads before, and really don't feel like taking the abuse again from drinkers (not that you are that way--don't really know you--but see EWF's post#43 already). In the third place, if I were going to make a point about the issue, I certainly wouldn't use the Corinthian church, possibly the worst one Paul wrote to. :type:

#48 John of Japan, Feb 3, 2014
  9. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He didn't just 'write' to the church at Corinth, he founded it. He knew it well.

10. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Quite true! Maybe he thought it would be a big enough task to just get them to quit being drunkards--much less stop drinking alcohol. :laugh: (See also 5:11, where they were not even supposed to hang out with drunkards!)

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Drink to forget you....rofl

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You should have been a lawyer:laugh: first off, alcohol cannot control thems that are in control of themselves so a drink now and again is for beverage enjoyment only. Now it appears that if the truth were to be told, there is probably a majority of you who are or were alcoholics in the past, or else you have alcoholic relatives who you have observed with drinking g problems so you shun it and want deeply from eradicate it from the planet.

Well now to thems who would like nothing better than to have proabition returned, I say "be afraid....be very afraid " because if someone wants it then they will find a way to get it. Now its done deceptively vs up front and above board....and you will NOT know until it is too late.

13. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Completely unprovoked.

14. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No provocation.

15. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No baiting occurred here.

16. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you making the wild assumption that everyone who drinks in moderation will one day be a drunk? if so based on what evidence?

https://highlandsministriesonline.o...ented-wine-or-grape-juice-at-the-last-supper/

Are you basing your conclusions on alcohol based on the culture and churches interpretations or are you basing your conclusions on what the Bible says? My guess would be the former which is not unlike most.

Check out this article

http://www.ligonier.org/learn/devotionals/guilty-conscience/

It may be wise for many whom cannot control themselves and or others to abstain. But don't assume everyone has this problem.

In the meantime I suggest you buy and read this book as I am presently doing. Its a deep academic read so go through it slowly.

[​IMG]

#56 evangelist6589, Feb 3, 2014
  17. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is false information. I for one would drink a Mikes only for the taste and sugar which is quite good. I would not drink it for the buzz.

#57 evangelist6589, Feb 3, 2014
  18. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your reasons are noble. I also like how you do not label everyone and try and militate your situation on everyone else unlike the sermons of Fundamentalist Baptists.

#58 evangelist6589, Feb 3, 2014
  19. thisnumbersdisconnected

Drinking any amount is not the smartest thing we can do. We shouldn't drink at all if there is the slightest indication in our behavior that we "can't handle it," as RD2 has said in the OP. That indication would be any behavior that has us talking to ourselves about whether to have a drink, or another drink. If we have to debate ourselves, then we shouldn't be doing it, because that "debate" is actually our excuse mechanism kicking in to justify having a drink that we shouldn't have.

That said, of course, there is ample and good evidence that the nightly glass of white or red wine is a healthy undertaking, but even that may be used as an excuse to have no just one or two, but four or five.

Bottom line: If you look for a reason or an excuse to drink, you shouldn't.

(PS: I answered "yes" to all the poll questions except the last two, because I quit drinking long before I became a Christian, because the U.S. Army told me to quit drinking, or quit flying -- and made it clear they didn't really care which, but I needed to pick one. I had to make the same choice, though personally, not professionally, imposed about gambling some ten years later. Wine and the very occasional beer is something I now do enjoy, but one or two is plenty. I don't need anymore than that, and no, I'm not sinning. I've settled that with God long ago. Gambling? No way I even stand next to the lottery display at Quik Trip. That's my downfall.)

#59 thisnumbersdisconnected, Feb 3, 2014
  20. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

And? Yes, it WOULD be just fine for them to drink in moderation too - unless they are predisposed to alcoholism or have a medical condition where alcohol is contraindicated. Honestly, I've not found many people who say "Oh great! My pastor has a glass of wine on special occasions so I can go get drunk as much as I want!!" The most we've had when we did drink was for people to come up and say "I thought Christians aren't allowed to drink." What a perfect opportunity to teach them the truth of what Scripture says. It really opened up good discussions about God, the Word of God and alcohol the few times it was an issue (and like I said, not even an issue but a point of discussion).

I've actually experienced the complete opposite here in NY. Everyone we've spoken to has thought Christianity was all "thou shall not have any more fun in life once you become a Christian" and they see that we're normal people, have a drink on occasion (in the past - remember, we don't drink now because that is a requirement of our church), laugh, dance and even get a little silly. :)

Hmmm - I'd say the hyper-critical brother or sister would find something else to pick on even if the pastor didn't drink. Do I worry about the hyper-critical brother or sister? Honestly, no. I worry about the Lord. Am I following Him? If I am, then what others think mean less to me because I've learned in life that I'll never please everyone. Heck, my wearing pants to church just might offend someone - but wearing a skirt might also. If me having a glass of wine at dinner will cause judgment, gossip and back-biting to come out, I'm glad because that person needs some heavy duty Matthew 18ing and discipling. In other words, they need help.

I understand it's your opinion and I definitely disagree with it. If I worry about the "ripple of sin reverberating across the waters of the fellowship" by me NOT sinning (drinking a glass of wine is not sin), then we have a big problem in our fellowship and we need to address it. To walk on eggshells because we might offend someone is wrong. To love another and care about them and disciple them is another thing. If I was allowed to drink, there would be times I would and times I would not. But if my sweet friend who is a recovering alcoholic saw me drinking a glass of wine, she already knows my stance on alcohol and she knows that my drinking is not condoning her drinking. But if I know that she will be somewhere that I am, I love her enough to have a seltzer with lime instead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.