1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Drinking of alcohol and especially wine

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Old Scholar, May 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We are speaking of drinking alcohol and ANYTHING else that can cause a brother to stumble. You stated "One thing is for sure. Scripture teaches that we are never to do anything, with the liberty we have in Christ, that will cause another person to stumble." So if we are not to drink because it may cause a brother to stumble, we must be completely consistent in our cautions or else we're....hypocrites.

2. saved and sure

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, come on! This is not a Baptist thing. Beside that, her logic is not logical at all.

The fact remains that if alcohol was such an OK thing, why does age matter? Why not have the kids all belly up to the bar and have a couple cold ones with mom and dad?

3. saved and sure

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The thread is "Drinking of alcohol and especially wine ", not "ANYTHING" else. Let's keep to the subject, shall we?

4. historyb

historyb New Member

Be careful there are those here who will accuse you of making somebody stumble. Since there is no restriction in Scripture than we can drink and smoke, just not to excess

5. saved and sure

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now there is a quote we can talk about. Drink and smoke? Great combo.:tonofbricks:

6. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Everything has its place. You wouldn't have a 10 year old drink just like you wouldn't have a 10 year old move out of the house to live on his own.

7. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Everyone who thinks alcohol is wrong makes me stumble. Therefore, each of them should not share his or her opinion with anyone else. :wavey:

8. saved and sure

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is amazing what examples are used by people who just cannot reconcile themselves to the fact that if drinking alcohol was ok, why isn't it ok for your young children?

I suppose that it's ok to go to an "R" rated movie because you are an adult, but it's not ok for a child. Why is that?

9. saved and sure

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's the problem, what a person"thinks" is right or wrong has never been the issue, neither has opinion. The issue is what does alcohol do to the person drinking it and those who are affected by it.

There seems to be a whole lot of defense for those who drink alcohol and attacks on those who think that drinking alcohol is not good.

When you can give the positive reasons for drinking alcohol then maybe there will be room for a discussion.

10. historyb

historyb New Member

Quite, a great bourbon with a wonderful cigar is just heavenly. Although I prefer my pipe to a cigar

11. historyb

historyb New Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

My logic is quite logical.

Because it is illegal.

13. saved and sure

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey, it's your body. Oh, that's right...........

1Corinthians 6:19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

1Corinthians 6:20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

14. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We are. But you refuse to acknowledge that you are not consistent with your interpretation of Scripture. If you feel this way with alcohol, you must be consistent or you are a hypocrite as well as disobeying God.

15. historyb

historyb New Member

Your problem is that you want to bind others with your misguided views, the biggest problem is you will never find smoking and alcohol prohibited in Scripture. There is nothing wrong with either

16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I did not bring my young children to see The Passion of the Christ because it was inappropriate for them but I did take my teens. If you do not know about appropriateness, explain sex to a 2 year old in full terms. Tell me if that's appropriate. If it's OK to teach our children about sex, why does age matter?

17. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I do hope that you are of a perfect body weight, eat only healthy foods and no preservatives and exercise atleast 90 minutes a day.

18. saved and sure

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you base your moral decisions on what is legal today? There are a lot of things that are legal that God says is sin.

19. saved and sure

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have called me a hypocrite, inconsistant in what I believe and expect me to not challenge this subject unless I am perfect in everything else I do regarding what I do with my body.

You are doing what every one does when they cannot justify their beliefs. They try and send people down rabbit trails.

I have never said that a person cannot drink, smoke or be a glutton. It is not for me to judge. What you and those in your life do, does not affect me in any way. My concern has always been for those who read forums like this and are searching for answers.

They are seeing two sides. One side promotes drinking alcohol and most recently smoking. The other side promotes not drinking and not smoking.

They will choose what they think God would want them to do in the same way that you have chosen what you think God wants you to promote.

I have chosen to promote that a person does not drink alcohol because there are far too many down sides to it. You can promote what you want.

I do not condemn you for what you choose to demonstrate, don't condemn me.

20. Allan

Allan Active Member

Just to slightly correct this post. There is a prohibition against drinking in scripture with respect to those who were priests, kings, princes, and those who take a Nazarite vow.

Now to clarify each -
    The priests were forbidden to drink (at all) before serving and while they were ministering under penalty of death by God Himself. Any amount of alcohal can hinder or corrupt judgment and thus they were forbidden.

Kings and princes were not 'supposed' to drink wine nor strong drink for the same reason as the underline part above with priests. They were to be sober minded at all times because they would have to give sound judgments at almost any time regarding crimes, government, social, ect.. aspects of their kingdoms.

The Nazarite vow - they were forbidden to drink at all during their vow and was to be so abstaining that God would not even allow them to go so far as to even touch a grape or it would violate their vow. The person made this vow for the purpose of being completely devoted and committed to holy service unto the Lord.

All three of these have a common point:
    The one who separates himself to the service of Christ must be willing to give up some of the joys of this life for the sake of the Saviour.

This web site has here has a pretty good article on the Nazarite vow but what I liked is if you read it you will see how it correlates to many of the aspects being discussed here.

Lastly, it was apparently an issue even during the time of the apostles because we find Timothy (one of Pauls own disciples) refusing to drink anything alcohalic and thus Paul gives him the approval to do it for medicinal purposes regarding his stomach problems.

#60 Allan, May 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.