1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Drinking of alcohol and especially wine

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Old Scholar, May 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. historyb

historyb New Member

Big deal, it still is not forbidden in Scripture. Stop trying to bind our conscious with your views

2. saved and sure

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You and many others who have reacted very caustically sure seem to have their hair raise up on their neck when this subject comes up. I have never attempted to set rules for anyone here or else ware.

If you want to promote the fact that drinking alcohol is OK for some and not OK for others that's fine with me. I am not attacking you for what you believe scripture says on the subject, don't be so sensitive and attack me.

This is not a salvation issue so it really is not that important to me. I made an observation and questioned it. It then moved, as it always does, into an attack mode by those who promote alcohol consumption for some people.

Chill, it's OK to disagree.

3. saved and sure

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since it's no big deal, I won't go to the effort to provide you with the scriptures. Go have a drink and chill out.

4. historyb

historyb New Member

I don't drink and there are no Scriptures that forbid it.

5. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Whine Thread

Nothin' to add to the topic, at the moment.

But I do wanna' do what little I can to help the latest whine thread to the 30 page (or is that 10 page??) limit, soon.

Ed

6. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Oops!

Sorry! Wrong forum! [​IMG]

But my miscue did get us one post closer to the end of the thread, just the same. :D

Ed

7. Allan

Allan Active Member

Odd.. You stated previously in this thread:
    Or your post # 20 from the Thread "Holy Smoke" :
    So which is it?

In this post I'm responding to you state "you don't drink" and yet in at least two others (including this very thread) you state you do, in fact, drink.

Which one is the true statement?

8. Allan

Allan Active Member

:laugh: Ok, this was funny. And why was it so funny to me? Because EdSutton is trying to help this thread get to the 30 page limit and it is only on page '9' :laugh: - boy I must be more tired than I orginally thought :)

9. historyb

historyb New Member

I don't, the last one I had was a banana wine cooler a few years ago and I could enjoy a good bourbon and cigar. I do smoke my pipe once every few months

#89 historyb, May 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2009
  10. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

He who has 70 or so posts and is already at people's last nerve is the one that needs to chill out. Read my post again. I stated quite clearly I do not drink. The difference between you and me is mine is based on the New Covenant, and yours is memorizing rules for your life based on your will power.

Your statement "if you want to promote the fact drinking alcohol is ok for some" is totally out of the ball park. I never have or will encourage others to drink, but neither am I going to question a brother or sister in Christ as to how the Holy Spirit has lead them.

Nothing raised the hair on my neck, as I have very little on my head. The only caustic reaction was your original post, and no one in this thread has attacked you.

11. Allan

Allan Active Member

Ok, so your statement "I even enjoy a good drink once in a while " is not true then?

I'm just trying to figure out this aspect of your posts and wonder why you would even post such things which blatently depicts you as though you still do, not once but at least twice.

Just so you know though: I respect your decision not drink, and I am not stating that to drink, in and of itself, is a sin. Though I am interested in your clarifiction.

Lastly, "the argument" (of which I agree) with sin in relation to drinking is simply that a person who drinks can sin in more ways than just getting slightly tipsy.

#91 Allan, May 13, 2009
  12. Tater77

Tater77 New Member

Timothy was told to drink wine because of a poor water supply causing him to get sick as some way.

1 Timothy 5: 23
    No longer drink water exclusively, but use a little wine for the sake of your stomach and your frequent ailments.

When the Bible talks about "stumbling" it does not have to be in the context of you causing someone else to stumble. You can cause yourself to "stumble" also.

If you can drink and not "stumble", that's fine then. But becoming a drunk would be considered causing yourself to "stumble".

If drinking offends your "brethren" then do not drink in their presence.

Romans 14
    15For if because of food your brother is hurt, you are no longer walking according to love Do not destroy with your food him for whom Christ died.

16Therefore do not let what is for you a good thing be spoken of as evil;

17for the kingdom of God is not eating and drinking, but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit.

18For he who in this way serves Christ is acceptable to God and approved by men.

19So then we pursue the things which make for peace and the building up of one another.

20Do not tear down the work of God for the sake of food All things indeed are clean, but they are evil for the man who eats and gives offense.

21It is good not to eat meat or to drink wine, or to do anything by which your brother stumbles.

22The faith which you have, have as your own conviction before God. Happy is he who does not condemn himself in what he approves.

23But he who doubts is condemned if he eats, because his eating is not from faith; and whatever is not from faith is sin.

13. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is impossible to drink any alcohol without becoming inebriated to some level. Why drink any alcohol when it is such a poor testimony?

14. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, it is like you cannot drink any regular coffee without becoming nervous to some level?

How inebriated does a person become when they drink a thimble full of wine? That is about the size of a communion cup.

Did Jesus become inebriated when he drank wine at the wedding?\

Was Paul encouraging Timothy to become inebriated when he told him to take some wine for his stomach?

No, I do not drink alcoholic drinks. Why? Because I do not like the taste of alcohol.

#94 Crabtownboy, May 13, 2009
  15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Of course not but I was asked why do I bother with age if drinking is OK and I said that it is wrong for a child to drink in New York State before the age of 21 because it is illegal. Is it wrong for a child to drink? I know families in Italy where children drink watered down wine. I do not think that is wrong because in their culture, that is what they do and they are careful with it. The children do not get drunk so it is following Biblical mandates.

16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I do not condemn you for choosing not to drink. I also do not drink. However, if you compare drinking to gluttony, you are not following Scripture. You can compare drinking to eating but you can only compare drunkenness to gluttony since both of those are what are spoken of as a sin. I am not sending anyone down a rabbit trail at all but using a comparison to show your inconsistency in your beliefs. If you are going to use the "stumble" argument with alcohol, you must use it for anything else that would cause a brother to stumble - since YOU brought in the idea that we are not to do ANYTHING that will cause a brother to stumble. So I'm asking you if you are consistent in your beliefs or if you just pick and choose. Since you are avoiding the question, that is very telling.

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Since inebriated is another word for intoxicated...this is not correct. It depends on the physiology of each individual.

18. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'm doing a search on "wine" in the KJV on BibleGateway and I found something that I forgot about. A Nazarite vow was not for life. In Numbers 6, we are told what happens when the Nazarite finishes his vow - look at what he is to do at the very end of the passage - DIRECTED FROM GOD:

19. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

A large number of verses in the OT speak of wine as an offering. Wine is a very good thing - a pure thing - because we offer it to the Lord as a sacrifice. We may eat lamb, may eat bulls, may eat pigeons, may eat doves, may eat the grain - but we are not allowed to drink the wine? Interesting. I don't see that in Scripture.

20. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Deut. 14:23 says "And thou shalt eat before the LORD thy God, in the place which he shall choose to place his name there, the tithe of thy corn, of thy wine, and of thine oil, and the firstlings of thy herds and of thy flocks; that thou mayest learn to fear the LORD thy God always."

God is telling them to drink wine.

Adding in verse 26 "And thou shalt bestow that money for whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or for whatsoever thy soul desireth: and thou shalt eat there before the LORD thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou, and thine household,"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.