1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Drinking of alcohol and especially wine

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Old Scholar, May 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

It's funny the way you make your objections to label things as being legalism and then refer back to the Pentetuech/ The Five Books of the Law, for justification of what the Lord has condemned.

I believe more it is the use of the word "lusteth" that should give it away as to what the Lord was saying.

It is more that the man has the right to do whatever he wishes with the seeds of harvest AFTER his tithe, yet not without the consequences of the things he's purchased and used with that money he'd sold the seeds for.

I have never thought to take the word of God and apply it to my life without using wisdom to consider the outcome of my being involved in the things which it only seems to grant a liberty. Most times God shows us what overindulgences can cause.

Like I say, and it observes a prudent approach to this: I have never known a man to become a drunk who never drank.:thumbs:

Play with fire if you wish, but my momma told me that people who do end up getting burned. Alcohol is no different, just a different form of fire. The indians did call it "firewater" for a reason.

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Odd that He condemns something He gives the OK to spend your money on and consume in His presence. You have an odd view.
    If only what you believed were supported by context...
    Huh?
    Agree...hence the Scripture referring to drunkenness and abuse (not abstinence) of alcohol.
    ...and I never knew a man who became a glutton who never ate food. Wouldn't say that is wise, though...
    ...and the reason is because it (moonshine) burns going down.
    I wouldn't call what God states "gladdens the heart of God and man"...fire. You don't have the authority.

3. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

I would have to say you don't express common sense.

Food is necessary for survival, alcohol is not. Your logic begs for something better I would say.

I wonder how you would apply Eccl 11:9 Rejoice, O young man, in thy youth; and let thy heart cheer thee in the days of thy youth, and walk in the ways of thine heart, and in the sight of thine eyes: but know thou, that for all these [things] God will bring thee into judgment.

I'm not trying to be rude, although some here definitely are rude, but I believe you're not seeing the whole picture and are picking and choosing.

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

EVERYTHING we do will be brought into judgment. Drinking has nothing to do with it. We can walk uprightly and we will still be judged.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I would say the same thing with your view.
    Strawman. Nothing in Deut. 14:26 alludes to "survival".
    I would apply it the same way with everything else we use or do.
    How can that be when earlier in this thread I supplied all 244 instances of wine and other strong drink in context?

6. saved and sure

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    saturneptune,

According to your private message to me this afternoon, you think that I am a [SNIPPED FOR MAJOR VIOLATION OF CONFIDENCE AND WILLFUL BREAKING BB RULE]

#166 saved and sure, May 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2009
  7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

[private message snipped - not fault to you as you were quoting another]
    I was under the impression that private messages were just that - private. Any reason you're airing dirty laundry? Why not address it directly? Is that Biblical (hint - Matthew 18)?

#167 annsni, May 14, 2009
  8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

[private message snipped - no fault to you as you were quoting another]

From this post I think there are other things you should worry about biblically than drinking alcohol.

#168 webdog, May 14, 2009
  9. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

WHERE AM I.......E HARMONY?? I like you webdog,but if you cannot handle other believers with different convictions why do you bother posting on an open subject??:smilewinkgrin: Did I miss the threads subject saying STATEMENT OF MY CONVICTIONS ABOUT ALCOHOL?? Do I have to debate you to share what we think on this subject?? Hummm? Psst....stay away from the Koolaid!

#169 Jedi Knight, May 14, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.