1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Drive 'D' no longer working...

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by I Am Blessed 24, May 24, 2003.

1. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

This just started a few days ago. I put a CD in to make greeting cards and a message kept coming up saying, "disc drive not ready, please insert CD". I tried another CD and the same message came up.

I had some pictures put on a CD and inserted that today. A menu screen is supposed to pop up. Nothing happened.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks!
    Sue

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds like the drive probably died. Mine's recently done the same.

Start with right-clicking on "My Computer" (or equivalent) and clicking on Properties. Look for the Device Manager tab, and click on that. Look for the CD-ROM option; it should be okay. If it has an "X" (usually red), then there's a conflict that needs to be resolved. Device Manager should give you a clue as to where the conflict is.

You can check your bios settings to ensure that you've got drive D set up properly. When you boot your computer, you should have a start-up list showing memory check, etc., and it should have a "Press F2 to run setup" (or something similar) at the bottom. Some computers have different methods; if you have the manual that came with the computer, reference that.

Other than that, you might just have to buy a new CD drive.

Other "experts" wanna weigh in on this?

3. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

My husband had to replace his a few months ago. They don't cost very much considering... Jim replaced his himself.

However, if you have a CD/ DVD cleaner, you might just try that too.

Diane

4. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

You were right as usual, Don! The CD drive was shot. It cost $60.00 for a new one plus $40.00 labor; but at least it is fixed.

Thanks!
    Sue