1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Driving 50+ miles to church???

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, May 16, 2018.

1. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Had to do with the two deep pocket families. They composed the committee.
    No pruning occurred. 90% of the people who left went to two churches. Those two churches are vibrant, flourishing, and shining lights in the community. His church is a shell of its former self and can not even pay its bills.

#61 Reynolds, May 19, 2018
    Last edited: May 19, 2018
  2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Negative - I was responding to this post: " rlvaughn said:
    The cases I've known were folks who could not find a church of like faith & order at a closer distance.

If there is no local church, then consider starting one. By staying in that original church - you would more likely be causing more division

• Like Like x 1
  3. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some divine grafting then? :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mike Stidham

Mike Stidham Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Control. The local megachurch here (not Baptist) has gone "multisite", which means they've got three different satellite sites with an on-site lay leader and praise team, but the pastor's sermons are beamed in via video. They are working on a fourth site 80 miles from the main facility.

5. Covenanter

Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In my situation - a village with a 1,000 year old church building used for all sorts of village affairs, but not weekly worship & preaching - we are travelling 10 miles to a Gospel church. That church is gathering folk from miles around.

We have made our evangelical baptist faith & testimony known where we have met with local Christians including the Vicar who serves 5 parishes & I am seeking to work with them where possible, not to divide but to encourage.

I have offered to lead meetings, visit people, including worship & prayer in the homes, etc. To serve the local church with the Gospel where I can, without compromise or rivalry.

#65 Covenanter, May 21, 2018
    Last edited: May 21, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On a side note, that brings up the whole "social club" aspect of many churches.

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You mean a click don’t you? Either include or exclude.

8. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would say "clicks" within the "social club."

9. Covenanter

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would say "clique" or "cliques"
    BUT
    I don't think that means "cliques" as they are distinct groups. In practice we form non-exclusive friendships with others in the church, particular where the church has activities for social groups - for games, mothers & toddlers, youth groups, choirs, etc.

We may stay within a church for such groups when we should leave for doctrinal reasons.

10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many years ago, I did a talk show on a Christian radio station. One caller mentioned that she went to a friendly church. So I attended - NO - it was not friendly - Why - as soon as service was over - everyone gathered in their little cliques. Over the next year, I visited dozens of churches. The result - the bigger the church, the less friendly they were. Only four churches passed the SOS - friendly church test. And all four churches were liberal!

One other thing -many churches have a "greet your neighbor with a handshake" I despise that. Sure, during the service when they are told - they will shake my hand - but after service is over - they dont even look at your, let alone strike up a conversation - because they are heading to their cliques.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Salty: "many churches have a "greet your neighbor with a handshake" I despise that. Sure, during the service when they are told - they will shake my hand - but after service is over - they dont even look at your, let alone strike up a conversation - because they are heading to their cliques."

Amen to that. Same thing happened to me while visiting a small SBC church in Tennessee while on vacation last month. After the service only the pastor shaking hands on the way out had the question, "Where are you from?" and that was it.

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1st off, you are a Limey so your type would put an q & ue in a perfectly good word. Sound it out Caruthers! Next who told you to socialize in a church... I suppose you would be wanting to dance next! :eek: ...:Wink

13. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

Dancing - isnt that against Baptist Board rules????

14. Covenanter

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dancing is of course Scriptural. Ps. 150. Country/Scottish/Line/Square dancing was designed to avoid the courtly couples dancing & make it a social activity.

15. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well it may be on here but not is some churches!... Now I know there are a lot of white brethren on here and our worship is more or less subdued... Now I'm not saying that is wrong that is just how most of us are raised... You ever been to a black church?... They don't sit... They move... They listen but they also talk back to the preacher... The preacher fires up the congregation and the congregation fires up the preacher... Lord God Almighty!... Can they preach!... Our white church hosted a black baptist meeting... One preacher, that stand out in my mind to this day... Started preaching from the pulpit, and danced around the congregation, shaking hand and still preaching as he went, he didn't stand up and give a lecture like some but made the congregation part of his preaching... Thanks EWF for posting that sermons by that black preacher... May be if others listen to it they will get just a taste of what I'm saying... I think it's time we rejoiced in the Lord like we mean it!... May be just may be that is what is missing from our churches!... Brother Glen:)

16. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Steve... I can't seem to find that sermon you posted, would you post it here and give brethren a taste?

17. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And here I thought it was to the Golden Corral or the Outback steak house.

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen brother..:Thumbsup

19. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gladly,