1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dualisms/Paradoxes

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Lacy Evans, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

Some of the never ending debates are dual truths and/or paradoxes.

In science light behaves as both a particle and a wave. It doesn't make sense. Both are true. Trouble begins when you grab one side and kill everyone on the other side.

Paradoxes:

*God is three/God is one

*Christ is God/Christ is man

*God is soverign/ Man has free will

*Christ died for the world/ We are predestined to salvation or damnation.

Dualisms:

*Salvation by faith alone for the unbeliever/Salvation by faith plus works for the Christian

*John the baptist was Elias/ Elias will come.

*The temple was destroyed in 70AD/ The temple will be destroyed again

*Christ the suffering Messiah/ Christ the King

2. Brandon C. Jones

Brandon C. Jones New Member

Here, Here:thumbs:

Albert Einstein was convinced that quantum mechanics was wrong but he could never prove otherwise. That's just one example where the physical world is above us, so we should be wary to think that we've got everything covered theologically.

I've come to realize that it's important to keep essential things essential and save charges of false doctrine, heresy, and evilness for only those who stray from the heart of the Christian faith, which is not identical to every word in my home church's articles of faith.

Besides, what good is it nitpicking over non-essential stuff especially when vitriol abounds?

PS-It's interesting that for some time physicists have known that relativity theory and quantum mechanics contradict each other, but no one is willing to take sides as to which one should "win."

#2 Brandon C. Jones, Feb 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2007
  3. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

It's not that i think the triune (If that is really a word) nature of God or the diety/humanity of Christ are non-essential. They are in fact vital. God's soverignty and Man's free-will are essential doctrines. The Word teaches both to be true.

Who are we to latch on to one side of God's dualisms and exclude the other because our math isn't high-level enough.

1+1+1=3
    1=3
    1/3=1

Maybe they don't take sides to see who will "win" because they recognize both to be true.

We'll understand it better by and by.

Lacy

4. Brandon C. Jones

Brandon C. Jones New Member

I'm sorry for being less explicit. Yes, I believe the fruit of the creeds hammered out in the early church to be essential. What I take to be non-essential is my own understanding of Scripture outside of the parameters of orthodoxy.

This is the old trilemma of simultaneously acknowledging tradition, celebrating plurality, and resisting domination. It's hard to do but who says you can't try.

5. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

QUOTE=Brandon C. Jones]I'm sorry for being less explicit. Yes, I believe the fruit of the creeds hammered out in the early church to be essential. What I take to be non-essential is my own understanding of Scripture outside of the parameters of orthodoxy. [/QUOTE]

I agree. Another thing that is dangerous is making a leap to an unscriptural conclusion based on a scriptural premise.

For example:

God is absolutely sovereign . . .God chooses who gets saved prior to creation . . . .God is evil.

Or Jesus is God . . .The father is God . . .Jesus is the Father. (Oneness Pentecostalism.)

Or God is sovereign . . .Man has no free will. (Or vice versa)

Or Jesus was a man . . .Men are not God . . .Jesus is not God.

Lacy

#5 Lacy Evans, Feb 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2007
  6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

or "nobody's perfect"

I'm a "nobody"

I'm perfect. :D