1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Duggars expecting child #19

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by webdog, Sep 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

The Dugger's are associated with the "Quiverfull Movement", which, IMO, presents an irresponsible view of procreation by abusing the scriptural verse "children are a blessing from the Lord". Although I'm an advocate of people being allowed to raise their children as they see fit, some of the Dugger's Christian view are a little extreme. For example, the family's adult daughters are not permitted to leave home until they are married, and are not permitted to attend college, believing this to be a sin (despite the lack of biblical support for these positions).

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I agree and see it as abuse in a way. If ANY child has to go to a signup list on the refrigerator and pencil in an hour that is free to talk to mom and dad, that child is not being raised healthy. The older children are also forced to take care of the middle and younger kids, while mom takes care of the toddlers and infants. Absolutely ridiculous.

4. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It 's their life and their family.

Does anyone have any evidence any of the children are mistreated or mal-adjusted?

Is the government supporting them?

If no one has a concrete yes to either of those questions, you have no right to condemn them at all.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

It's not just the parents lives...it's the other 19 they brought into the world.
    Are you familiar with them? They see nothing wrong with having a one hour time slot set away each week for one on one parent time...the teens take care of the younger children to leave mom to tend to the infants and toddlers, the teen girls are responsible for all meals and getting the other children dressed. You see this as normal child rearing?
    No idea.
    I have an opinion as do you, and I do not believe children should be reared like cattle.

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I noted that. They're allowed to live their lives however they want, even if they're being irresponsible. I dont' believe anyone questions that.
    Mistreated or maladjusted, probably not. Are there issues of irresponsibility? Most definitely. First of all, the mother is incapable of raising the children without help. She requires the help of the older children to take care of the younger ones. They also require children to "block out" time if they want to have time with their parents. This is an indicator that they have too many children than they can make time for. Additionally, they forbid their adult female children from attending college, and forbid them from even leaving the house to live on their own. This, plus their willingness to not prevent further pregnancy, is an indicator of their misapplication of scripture.

So, in short, is there abuse or neglect going on? Probably not. Is there irresponsibility of the household and perversion of scripture? Absolutely.

7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Requiring the older children to help with the younger children is neither abuse, neglect or irresponsible.

8. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

I'd bet the Duggars have amore closely knit and loving family than the vast majority of Americans do. You people actually have a problem with the teenagers helping to care for the younger children? A problem with the teenagers cooking the meals? It's no wonder the children of today think everything should be handed to them on a silver platter. Go back a hundred years and everything you are bringing up is the norm and families were much better off because of it.

I do have a problem with the no college for girls thing, but the other things you mention are good things...not bad.

9. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Requiring children to help raise our own children, because you had too many children, is irresponsible. And continuing to have more children when you need help raising the ones you've got is even mroe irresponsible.

10. matt wade

You can keep repeating it, but it doesn't make it so. It might make you feel better though.

11. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen, and amen.

12. Johnv

Johnv New Member

No one is questioning their close-knittedness. You can be close-knit, and still be an irresponsible parent.
    A hundred years ago, women often didn't live long enough to have 19 kids. But if you're talking about the norm, norms change. It was the norm for people not to know how to read or write 100 years ago. That doesn't mean it's responsible for parents not to allow their kids to read or write today.

13. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

ummm...no its not. Family is family and it teaches a good work ethic, to love your family, how to serve others and a number of other things. This new hyper sensitive concern for children working these days is ridiculous. These liberal ideologies are contributing to the destruction of the Family. I say good for the Duggars. God Bless them and their family.

14. Johnv

Johnv New Member

You can keep repeating the line "they're not irresponsible" but that doesn't make it so, even if it makes you feel better.
    No one is questioning the fact that giving children chores and duties teaches good work ethic. In fact, most here would say NOT giving children chores is irresponsible (yet I doubt many would say 'it's their life, they can raise their children any way they want' in that case).

This is a case of parents giving children childrearing duties because the parents are incapable of doing it themselves.

#14 Johnv, Sep 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2009
  15. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And no one presents any evidence of abuse or neglect. To the contrary , all evidence points to the children being more responsible and more productive than most of the current generation.

Studiess show that large families are more close knit, loving and responsible than 1 or 2 children families. What we have here are responsible parents that could give all of us lessons on how to raise a family.

Just because I don't believe I'm capable of doing what they do, and most of the others here don't believe they are either, doesn't mean the Duggars can't an don't do a good job.

All the evidence tells a different story.

16. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Without a doubt such actions are child abuse. Normally people on this board condemn Muslims when they hear about the abuse of women by them.

17. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I agree 100%.

18. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I'll have to respectfully disagree here. Forbidding your child who is over 18 from leaving the house, and from attendng college, is an abuse of parental authority, but it is not child abuse.
    You make a good point. I suspect they are being defended because they are Christians. If they were muslims, atheists, or mormons, I wonder if the same grace would be present.

19. matt wade

The difference is that if one of the Duggar girls did disobey and went to college, I doubt she would be stoned to death. A muslim girl doing the same is likely to be a dead muslim girl.

20. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Main Entry: 1abuse
    • Pronunciation: \ə-ˈbyüs\
    • Function: noun
    • Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French abus, from Latin abusus, from abuti to consume, from ab- + uti to use
    • Date: 15th century
    1 : a corrupt practice or custom
    2 : improper or excessive use or treatment : misuse <drug abuse>
    3 obsolete : a deceitful act : deception
    4 : language that condemns or vilifies usually unjustly, intemperately, and angrily
    5 : physical maltreatment

- www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/abuse

I definitely think that it is a "corrupt practice or custom" to forbid a child that is of age to attend college or to even live separately.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.