1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Duggars expecting child #19

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by webdog, Sep 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Now your'e just changing the subject.

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Our debate over this family's choices is one of our annual fights, just like Easter and Christmas.

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What about Mormons and atheists that Johnv mentioned? I haven't read about them stoning such girls.

4. targus

targus New Member

What is the number of children that takes someone from responsible to irresponsible parent?

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

As soon as parents exceed the number children than they are capable of raising on their own, and willingly continue having more children, that qualifies as irresponsibility.
    I must have missed last year's. Point taken, though.

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    When there are one too many for the parents to take care of themselves without having to rely on other children to do it.

7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Relying on each other in a family is appropriate and should be common practice. The Duggars are doing well!:thumbs:

8. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How soon we forget...

Many of our parents and grandparents came from large families.

Did they show any harmful effects from being raised as a responsible person and did they think they were abused by having to care for their little brothers and sisters?

9. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

You are the one that brought it up and tried to compare the two. I was simply responding to you.

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can we assume that those who think that the Duggars are "doing well" in their actions are themselves attempting to have double digit children or attempting to adopt enough children to reach the double digit number so that they will be "doing well", also?

11. matt wade

I disagree with mormons and atheists that don't let their female children go to college.

Actually (get ready for this one, cause it's a shocker!), I'm against any parent, no matter their religion or lack thereof, restricting their children from going to college. There's no reason to play the religion card on that issue.

12. matt wade

And some of our parents came to this country and worked as a child. My mother and grandmother come through Ellis Island and had to go to work for a man in Ohio. My mother would come home every day from school (this is when she is 8-11 years old) and do housework and help with the cooking. In the liberal world, my mother was a victim of child abuse. In the real world, my mother was saved from a terrible war that destroyed her country (Latvia) and was grateful to be here in the US, working and safe. Her brothers, not all who were 18 yet, died defending their homeland.

13. targus

targus New Member

Then you do not believe that older children should help in the care of younger children?

While parents are working and caring for the younger children the older children should be doing what - lying on the couch watching TV?

Is is possible that in helping to care for younger children the older children are learning the skills to be good parents some day?

14. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Wrong. All you did was say it's not okay for people to get stoned. No one disagrees. My comment was that I suspect the Duggers are being defended simply because they are Christians, and asked if the same grace would be extended if they were muslims, atheists, or mormons.

15. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have no problem with children having chores to do. I do have a problem with expecting children to act as surrogate parents for younger children when there are parents there who should be handling all of the parental responsibilities.

But, hey, to those who like what the Duggars are doing - best wishes in having/adopting enough children to reach double digits. I hope things go well for you and your family. :)

16. matt wade

I can't speak for others, but I have no problem with the items that have been brought up, save the college issue, no matter the relion of the parents. if a muslim person wants to have 19 children and have those children help with the chores and raising of the younger children that's fine with me. Hey, I have no problem with those 19 children going out and helping farm some land if the parents are farmers. Have them milk the cows and collect the eggs while they are at it! :)

17. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

And your suspicion has no foundation other than your preconceived notions of who knows what.

18. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then you would be wrong.

I had no idea what their religious affiliation was, nor if they even had one.

19. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

My mother came from a family of nine and my grand dad was a farmer. I believe the term was sharecropper.

Her mother died in childbirth when she was five. The older children raised the youger ones while their dad worked the farm. One of her sisters died of illness and her younger brother was killed in WWII.

They loved and fought like brothers and sisters all their lives, but none of them ever neglected or abused their children. That includes me and I helped Mother with my youger brother and there were only 4 of us brothers. Didn't seem to hurt me and, when pressed, I can still change a diaper or hold a bottle.

I find it hard to condemn a large, loving, responsible family making it on their own without sponging off the taxpayers.

20. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Yea isn't it interesting how libbies condemn a close loving family that is self supportive but wants them to be enslaved to the government.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.