1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Duggars expecting child #19

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by webdog, Sep 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. targus

targus New Member

I am a middle child from a family of twelve children. I also never felt neglected or overworked.

Some one who is not a part of a large family probably can't understand how truly special it can be.

I think that I speak for my seven sisters and four brothers as well.

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paying their own way is one area that I can wholeheartedly commend the Duggars for. :thumbs:

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Your assessment is wrong. First, I for one am not a "libbie". Second, I'm not condemning them. I'm noting the fact that they're being irresponsible. Third, not a single post in this thread has suggested they be supported by the government.
    My suspicion is based on the numerous posts on that, where faith should not be an issue, demonstrate a bias towards persons based solely or primarily on that person's faith.

That said, two people so far have said they would grant a mormon, muslim, atheist, etc. the same grace. It's noted that they're being consistent on their application.
    One's feelings aren't necessarily an indicator of responsible behavior. I myself came from a singel parent household. I never felt deprived or neglected. But that doesn't change the fact that it was irresponsible for one of my biological parents to leave. Just because I never felt shortchanged doesn't mean I wasn't. Likewise, just because the children might have no feeling of their parents being irresponsible doesn't mean that their parents aren't irresponsible. The fact that they require the help of their adult children to raise the younger ones, AND are consinuing to have more children is an indicator of irresponsibility. The fact that they are forbiding their adult children from working, leaving the house to live on their own, or going to college is an indicator of abuse of parental authority (which, so far, no one here disagrees with).

#43 Johnv, Sep 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2009
  4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

They have turned the adult women (over 18) into slaves...hardly "appropriate"

5. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They are grown and responsible for their own lives, including staying or leaving. If they stay, they obey the family rules.

That's just the way it is...and should be.

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'm hardly a "libby", and I don't see their actions as "loving". Forcing children to be parents is hardly that. The children are slaves to their parents' wacky extra-biblical views on reproduction.

7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Not sharing the same values as webdog does not make one a slave.

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Were your brothers and sisters forced to be parents, or did your parents do their jobs like parents should? Were any of you or your siblings forced to stay at home past the age of 18? Did you have a signup sheet for one on one time with your parents?

#48 webdog, Sep 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2009
  9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Why don't they leave? They are not permitted to.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Forcing an adult past the age of 18 to do something does.

11. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I am thankful for their commitment to honor Christ in all things. They are a great example of how a loving family can grow towards Christ (spiritually and, um, numerically.)

Their tv show (for a time I think) came right before the other large Christian family. I am thankful for their humble, genuine commitment to Christ before a national audience. I am thankful that they are not so worried about glitz and deeply concerned with their family.

I say that and shake my head that this man must be the happiest guy on the face of the earth. ;) This is not a feat I feel led to accomplish in my life.

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

If only this were the case. Their taking Scripture out of context, not being members of any local church (they claim their family is a church in itself) and turning their children into parents shows a lack of concern for their children.

13. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Yet their involvement in the "Quiverful Christian" movement, a movement which perverts scripture, goes unquestioned.

Interestingly the Arkansas public school system has a student-teacher ration of 12:1, while private schools in the state have a ration of 4:1. The Duggar ratio during the day is 19:1 (the father works). Why is it considered unacceptible for a class of 19 to have only teacher, when a parent can have 19 children without being considered irresponsible?

14. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Upon further consideration, I withdraw my child abuse description(since it is such a loaded term) and instead agree with your abuse of parental authority description.

15. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Obviously, in another shameful act of abusing parental authority, the older children help teach the younger children. So, while adding to your contempt for the way they raise their children, it also adds to the number of teachers versus children and the ratio is much improved. In some cases (the youngest children), the ratio may be the best in the state!

16. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

You guys and this abusing parental authority description probably also believed Abraham abused his parental authority in regards to Isaac. You know, he raised Isaac to believe in the authority of God and to not question God, or his parents. If Abraham would have just let Isaac think for himself not raise him in such a fundamental way, we could just eliminate all those pesky verses in the Bible about Abraham and his sacrificing of Isaac.

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

They are not "helping"...they ARE the parents for all intents and purposes.

18. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I guess I should have stopped at one then. When I had my second child, I did periodically ask the first one to watch the next one so I could go to the bathroom.

And now that I have 4? Well, just today, my husband and I went out church plant scouting and left the 6 and 8 year old home with the 17 year old - and the 19 year old when she got home from school. They took care of baths, dinner and putting to bed.

We're such loser parents.

19. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

My mother grew up similarly - yet she would come home from school to an empty apartment - at 5 years old. Her 7 year old sister would come home shortly after and then the 11 year old brother after that. My aunt cooked for the whole family so that my grandmother could work to support the family after being abandoned by her husband. Yep - the three were terribly abused.

20. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

ROTFL - I just demanded that my 19 year old daughter get in the kitchen and clean up then get the recycling out. Does that make me abusive??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.