1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Duggars expecting child #19

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by webdog, Sep 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How is it irresponsible?

You seem to have a standard you want imposed on everyone else. That being said what higher authority demands such?

College is not necessary nor is it an imperative. So given that I have no idea where you are coming from. Regardless it is neither abuse nor neglect.

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

dayyyssss

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

It's irresponsible because it's not consistent with parental authority. Parental authority calls for raising a child to be an adult. That authority ceases once they're adults. I have an adult daughter living with me. I can give her conditions I expect her to live by so long as she lives in my roof, but it woudl be an abuse of my parental authority to forbid her from finding another palce to live if she so chooses.
    You're evading the question. Is it your claim that the Duggars aren't forbidding their adult female children from leaving moving away from home, or are not forbidding them from going to college?
    Again, you're evading a direct question. Is it your claim that it's perfectly permissible, or even responsible for a parent to forbid their adult children (that is, children over 18) from going to college?

4. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you say and......

Y
    Stop..stop with the evading the question........I in fact concede to that in my last answer. Pay attention.

Again stop with the evading the question debate tactic. I in fact conceded to that very idea in my last answer...sorry you are having such a difficult time understanding my answers. College is not necessary nor is it a mandate for any reason and if the Duggars believe that their daughters should stay home until they get married there is no moral imperative here.

I will say it again...college is not a moral imperative

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Is "home churching" responsible?
    How about Hebrews 10:25 for one?
    Forbidding an adult from going to college is normal practice?

6. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Right on carpro!

7. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Now you jump into my repsonse to a completely different issue and want what? Is it normal? No but lack of normality does not determine abuse.

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

It's not a completely different issue...the issue is the Duggar's parenting, and keeping 19 children away from a local church is part of "the issue".
    Come on now, you pleaded to a higher authority with what you deemed as JohnV's standards. I showed you they are not his, but God's standards. Isn't God's high enough?

9. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

And just how do they prohibit an adult from leaving home? That comment has been made repeatedly but has anyone answered the question?

10. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

ummm...we were discussing keeping the daughters at home until they were married and not wanting them to go to college. Both of these were separate issue and there is no moral imperative to go against either.

Not going to church is another issue and unbiblical but it cannot be tied into the other two issues.

11. Johnv

Johnv New Member

No one says college is a moral imperative. You're saying it's scripturally permissible for a parent to forbid his adult child from leaving home and going to college. That says it all.

12. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

I for one am happy that the religious and political libs believe they should have less children, while the conservative born again Christians believe they shoudl have what the Lord gives em.

So, if the libs do their thing, we will outnumber them 5 to 1.

Praise the Lord.

BTW: I have SIX children.

13. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You still have not provided any authority other than yourself that sets up a standard on this other than personal.

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I would think common sense in regards to allowing adults to make their own decisions should come in at some point. God didn't give us a mind to let it waste.

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Home churching and the Quiverful Movement is "conservative"? Not where I come from...

I'm neither a religious or political "lib", btw. I believe parents should be parents, and children should be children, and if a parent cannot provide this responsibility, they need to hire out adult help, not force their children to be parents.

#115 webdog, Sep 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2009
  16. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

You have set up a moral standard. That standard is adult children should not be told by their parents not to do certain things. And you wish this to be imposed on the Duggars based on the fact that you suggest they are being abusive. Since you wish it to be imposed on the Duggars what authority do you have that says it should other than your own personal choice?

Other wise your outrage over this has little credibility and your claims of abuse are unfounded.

17. Johnv

Johnv New Member

That's a good question. Technically, they can't. But the Duggar parents have adamantly and continuously maintained that their daughters will absolutely and under no circumstances be permitted to attend college. The question really isn't about whether they can or can't. It's a question of whether the Duggar parents are trying to apply parental authority where none exists. If they're forbidding their daughters from leaving home, when in reaity their daughters are free to do so, then they're abusing parental authority.

18. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Some folks don't understand freedom.

19. Johnv

Johnv New Member

This isn't an issue of freedom. I've said from the first posts that the Duggars have a right to be irresponsible.

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I have done no such thing. There is a difference between telling an adult child who is WILLINGLY living at home to take out the trash, and FORBIDDING an adult child from leaving home or attending college, either physically or through mind games. Apparently they are not allowed to attend church as well, a strict violation of Scripture. If you can't see the difference, its pointless to debate this with you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.