1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Duke is out!

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by bobbyd, Mar 24, 2006.

1. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

How about those Bayou Bengals! Geaux Tigers!

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

They looked really good tonight.

3. Convicted by the Spirit

My home state is LA and if anyone was going to beat Duke I am glad it was them. How about that Texas - WV final? Jaw dropper.

4. PastorSBC1303

Some great games tonight!!!

5. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Yes -- great games!

6. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Coach K is a classy guy. It had to have been heartbreaking to go out like that especially with Williams and Redick moving on.

When many coaches would have complained about the caveman basketball the officials let LSU play...

He just said "It was a very physical game and we didn't adjust. You have to adjust to those things in the tournament." (paraphrase)

He went on to compliment and congratulate LSU.

I don't think I could have been that gracious and the folks who think Duke gets favorable officiating got one back in spades last night.

The ACC is down to one team... actually a pseudo-ACC team, BC. I wouldn't look for them to go any further though.

All in all, pretty disappointing night for me. Bradley and Duke losing... and Texas winning. Bummer.

7. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Coach K always compliments the other team -- win or lose. I've always liked and appreciated that about him. He's also been quoted in the paper several times as supporting Coach Sendek who hasn't ever seemed to have a great deal of support round these parts.

8. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

This is great. I am so glad Duke is gone!!!!

The only negative about this is that now my brackets are offically destroyed.

9. PastorSBC1303

Join the club 4His lol

10. hillclimber

hillclimber New Member

I got to listen to every minute of the game. Loved it. Able to home in on 2 diff. stations in my trek up the left coast. I was neutral

11. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Folks, Give me a break on the officiating "favoritism". For whoever. I grant that the officiating has left much to be desired from top-to-bottom, this year. But style of play does as much to affect officiating, and foul calls, as anything. And every team wil get two or three at least questionable calls in any given game.
    And I assure you that win, or lose, I'm, no fan of a lot of the 'zebra band'.
    Ed

12. Friend of God

Friend of God Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Great. I picked Duke vs Gonzaga to be in the finals.

Oh well. Don't go by my picks-I picked Goliath too and he went down in the first round. :rolleyes:

13. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Folks, Give me a break on the officiating "favoritism". For whoever. I grant that the officiating has left much to be desired from top-to-bottom, this year. But style of play does as much to affect officiating, and foul calls, as anything. And every team wil get two or three at least questionable calls in any given game.
    And I assure you that win, or lose, I'm, no fan of a lot of the 'zebra band'.
    Ed
    </font>[/QUOTE]Favoritism or no- the game has rules... and "style of play" is no excuse to allow the level of body contact in that particular game.

They played caveman basketball. Whether one is a Duke fan or Duke hater... we should all agree that the game should be played by the rules. For instance, using your forearm to move defenders out of the way like LSU's big guy did should've been called. Letting him get away with it gave him an unfair advantage.

A game that physical with no one fouling out and a total of 34 fouls for both teams is ridiculous... almost as ridiculous as the fouls they did call. The team that by all accounts got physically man-handled was actually called for two more fouls than the team that did the manhandling.

Redick couldn't get free... no great wonder if you watched him trying to move without the ball. Hips, shoulders, and knees hit him from every direction. Even the NBA doesn't allow the kind of body checking that LSU employed.

I like Duke but its really no skin off my teeth that they lost. I'd much rather have seen NC State advance out of the ACC but they just don't have the talent yet.

That said, the rules are there for a reason. If they aren't going to be enforced then both teams should get advanced notice.

14. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I agree, Scott. It always annoys me when the announcers talk about the players having to adjust to how the refs are calling the game. The players shouldn't have to adjust, because every ref out there ought to call the same game.

15. PastorSBC1303

If anyone has a right to be upset at the officials it is Washington. Roy had a shot that was clearly on its way down that was not called a goal tend that would have changed the whole game.

16. Convicted by the Spirit

WOW .... Geaux Tigers in the final four. Who could have imagined. And they face off against UCLA.

17. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Rumor has it that UCLA and LSU are going to use a football in a basketball game.
    Ed