1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

dumb question about crucifix

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by PeterQ, Nov 10, 2015.

1. PeterQ

PeterQ seventyseventimes

Yes, I know , it a dumb question but I'll ask it anyway.
    As someone in the transition from the Catholic tradition I want to continue to wear a demonstration of Faith around the neck. I have worn a crucifix since staying at a Catholic monastery earlier in my Christian exploration. I'm thinking of symbolically changing it to a plain cross as I take Baptism later this month. I know Baptists are not keen on the blessing of objects etc and we should not cling on to artifacts but I wonder where I might find a suitable cross OR shall I keep the crucifix and risk having to go into theological explanations about 'Christ is now risen and no longer on the cross' ( Catholics do know this by the way) every time someone comments.
    I can easlily live with or without the crucifix so kind comments only pleeze.
    Blessings Peter
    PS. I also have them around the house!!!!!! ahhhhh

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You can find a suitable cross at any large department store or jewelry store. I have two of them from my mom. One my dad bought her when they were dating and another was purchased by a former boyfriend just before my mom died. Both were just from the jewelry store.

3. PeterQ

PeterQ seventyseventimes

Thanks annsni
    Thats lovely that you have crosses with such sentimental value.
    I dont already own such items and a jewelry store feels very different to a monastery hahaha.
    but I better get over it.
    God Bless

QUOTE="annsni, post: 2183333, member: 6935"]You can find a suitable cross at any large department store or jewelry store. I have two of them from my mom. One my dad bought her when they were dating and another was purchased by a former boyfriend just before my mom died. Both were just from the jewelry store.[/QUOTE]

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

To be honest, there is no difference between a jewelry store and a monastery. They are both selling a piece of wearable jewelry for profit. The monastery has no special spiritual significance for these things.

5. PeterQ

PeterQ seventyseventimes

You are quite right but I would rather financially support a monastery than a greedy jewller..hahaha.
    I will either sort one from a nice Christian store or keep the crucifix as a token of my faith journey.
    God Bless. Thanks for your comments.

6. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Part of the rest of the story: there are groups called Baptist which do not use crosses of any flavor. Also: there are no flags in the meeting houses, no religious relics or icons of any sort. They also have no religious holidays, i.e. Easter and Christmas. It is interesting to study why they believe and practice such things.

These groups are scattered. Ecumenism is taking over. The daughters of Rome are going back to their mother.

I am trying to start a study on the www: Origin of Denominations, for anyone interested, pm me.

Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

Bro. James

7. PeterQ

PeterQ seventyseventimes

Study sounds interesting, will look out for you Bro. james

8. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please note the difference between a crucifix (with Christ on the cross) and a cross. Protestants do not use crucifixes, but often wear crosses or have them on our churches. Thus, we highlight the fact that the cross is empty because the Savior is risen.