1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dump the Huck

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Ps104_33, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

In some quarters, former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee appears to be the flavor-of-the-month Republican candidate for president. Given his folksy charm, social conservative credentials, and embrace by the mainstream media, it is not surprising that some are increasingly enamored with him. But this flirtation does a great disservice to the conservative movement if it overlooks Huckabee’s stunning record of big-government liberalism.

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=YzNiY2M5NzIxZDJlMDUxNzUwYmQ4ZDU5ZDAzY2U3YWU=

2. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

3. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

That is interesting. Ken has said that many times.

4. Petra-O IX

Petra-O IX Active Member

Yep, once you get past Hucks Rino Lining it is evident that he is a big time liberal.

5. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

The author of this article is from the Club for Growth.....
    :laugh:

Regards, hope all is well,
    BiR

6. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://opinionjournal.com/diary/?id=110010782

Another Man From Hope
    Who is Mike Huckabee?
    Friday, October 26, 2007 12:01 a.m. EDT

Republicans have won five of the last seven presidential elections by running candidates who broadly fit the Ronald Reagan model--fiscally conservative, and firmly but not harshly conservative on social issues. The wide-open race for the 2008 GOP nomination has generated two new approaches.

Rudy Giuliani, for example, isn't running away from his socially liberal views, although he has modified them. But he is campaigning as a staunch, even acerbic economic conservative. Should he win the nomination, conventional wisdom has it he may balance the ticket by picking former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee as a running mate.

Mr. Huckabee, on the other hand, is running hard right on social issues but liberal-populist on some economic issues. This may help explain why the affable, golden-tongued Baptist minister was the clear favorite at the pro-life Family Research Council's national forum last Saturday. And why Mr. Huckabee's praises have been sung by liberal columnists such as Gail Collins of the New York Times and Jonathan Alter of Newsweek.

SNIP

But I also know he is not the "consistent conservative" he now claims to be.

Nor am I alone. Betsy Hagan, Arkansas director of the conservative Eagle Forum and a key backer of his early runs for office, was once "his No. 1 fan." She was bitterly disappointed with his record. "He was pro-life and pro-gun, but otherwise a liberal," she says. "Just like Bill Clinton he will charm you, but don't be surprised if he takes a completely different turn in office."

Phyllis Schlafly, president of the national Eagle Forum, is even more blunt. "He destroyed the conservative movement in Arkansas, and left the Republican Party a shambles," she says.

7. Ivon Denosovich

Ivon Denosovich New Member

KenH has said as much all along. He's also said that Huckabee is soft on crime.

#7 Ivon Denosovich, Oct 27, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2007
  8. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    KenH is a sharp fellow. Plus I believe he's from Arkansas, giving him an insight most others don't have.

9. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

Joseph B., before he was banned, said for a long time that he figured Huckabee would run and he stated the same thing about his liberal policies. He was also from Arkansas.

Seems to me the folks from Arkansas would know more about the man than the rest of us.

10. Baptist in Richmond

First we had the article from the Club for Growth, now we have John Fund, who some claim is the actual author of Limbaugh's book The Way Things Ought To Be. Looks like the acolytes are lining up to take Huckabee out of the running. I am sure that we will see more of this in the future.

Now what would really be interesting is if Karl Rove joins the Thompson camp. As one who is standing on the sidelines, that would be quite fascinating.....

11. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you like him so much, you vote for him.

He claims to be a Conservative and Conservatives are going to take a hard look at his record.

12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "We called him a pro-life, pro-gun liberal, when I was in the state legislature and he was governor," said Randy Minton, chairman of the Arkansas chapter of Phyllis Schlafly's national Eagle Forum.

Mr. Minton voices the concerns of many conservatives that while Mr. Huckabee governed as a social conservative in opposing abortion and same-sex "marriage," he was a treacherous liberal on taxes, social welfare spending and illegal immigration....

Mrs. Schlafly, one of the most respected leaders in the social-conservative movement, has accused Mr. Huckabee of "destroying" the conservative movement in Arkansas and leaving the GOP "in shambles." She says many of the evangelical Christians who "sold" social conservative voters on President Bush in 2000 are now "trying to sell us on Mike Huckabee."

Critics want to block consideration of Mr. Huckabee, an ordained Southern Baptist minister, as a running mate for Rudolph W. Giuliani, the pro-choice former New York mayor, or for Mitt Romney, a Mormon and former Massachusetts governor.

Most annoying to some conservatives are Mr. Huckabee's positions on immigration. For many Republicans, immigration is the deal-breaker in judging which candidate is worthy of support.

"Rudy Giuliani spent years defending the right of New York City to remain a sanctuary for illegal aliens. Yet Giuliani was a veritable Lou Dobbs Jr. on illegal immigration in comparison to Mike Huckabee," said Jim Boulet Jr., executive director of English First, a Springfield, Va., lobbying group. Mr. Dobbs is a CNN commentator who pursues a tough line against amnesty for illegal aliens.

"Huckabee's principles regarding illegal immigration seem to vary depending upon his physical location," Mr. Boulet said. "When in Iowa, presidential candidate Huckabee talks tough on border security. But for years in Arkansas, Governor Huckabee talked even tougher when anyone dared complain about the costs of illegal immigration."...

Mr. Minton thinks Mr. Huckabee is trying to remake his image on immigration.

"Until of late, he has been an open-borders guy on immigration — amnesty, the whole works," Mr. Minton said. "As governor, he wanted to give free college scholarships to all illegals."

Arkansas conservatives also do not regard Mr. Huckabee as a "fiscally conservative Republican" and see him as a "tax and spender," said Mr. Minton, a former state lawmaker....

This month, the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, the state's largest-circulation newspaper, published a report on Mr. Huckabee's fiscal record, noting that he "boasts of 90 tax cuts during his tenure, which ended in January."

- www.washingtontimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?

13. Baptist in Richmond

Ah, in typical fashion, you have simply assumed something about my position, despite the fact that I never wrote anything indicating that I liked him.

Some things never change. Perhaps some day you will simply stick to what I write.....

14. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just following your lead. Your main concern was the source. You never addressed what the source had to say.

When you write something that is actually worth sticking to, I will stand in line to stick to it. The line will be a long one for such a rare occurrence.:thumbs:

15. Ivon Denosovich

For carpro: the history of this thread

First, Baptist in Richmond laughed at the "Club for Growth" endorsement for Huckabee.

Second, Baptist in Richmond said:

Somehow, after Baptist in Richmond repeatedly mocked Huckabee, carpro came to the conclusion that:

To which, Baptist in Richmond responds:

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

carpro did you read anything on the first page?

#15 Ivon Denosovich, Oct 29, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2007
  16. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :laugh:
    I'll leave this one alone. It's too classic for words. :BangHead:

17. Ivon Denosovich

Reminds me of the time I disagreed with Joshua Muravchik only to be accused by carpro of agreeing with him.
    Baptist in Richmond, I feel your pain.

18. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I remember it well and agree that I made a mistake and misread what you wrote in that thread, just like you have made a mistake in this thread.

See if you can find it.:tonofbricks:

19. Ivon Denosovich

Found it! I attributed Bro. James Reed's words to Baptist in Richmond. Sorry!

20. Baptist in Richmond

I simply noted that the sources are the usual cast of characters. That is all I noted.

Perhaps you would like a mirror?