1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Duty Faith

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Rippon, Oct 11, 2014.

1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interestingly enough....was reading this a while ago... Reading it cause I never saw it done. Oh they talk a good talk, but.....

http://www.christianpost.com/news/why-churches-talk-the-great-commission-but-dont-do-it-121983/

#21 Earth Wind and Fire, Oct 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2014
  2. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, 'everyone' meaning the children of the heavenly Zion, no one else has that 'duty' to trust in their redeemer. Only those born from above.

Now the real question at the crux of the matter: do those of His children that do not exercise 'duty faith' GO TO HELL? Does 'duty faith' carry eternal consequences? That's what is at the core of the issue.

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    you do have a way of cutting right to the chase don't you...:laugh:

welcome back Brother :thumbsup:

4. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Earth, Wind & Fire

5. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    pinoybaptist
    That sounded so pious...and then this;

[/QUOTE]
    My respect for Rippon has not gone down, brother. I have always considered him likewise respectful towards me. Except, of course, if he resorts to the same tactics as the "other" one who is no more than an immature brat trying to act like an adult.
    THAT one I already put in the trash can.[/
    QUOTE]

Hypocrisy Much....:laugh::laugh: dude-boy- hypercal to the max:thumbsup:

6. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fool. You got into a mess without knowing you started it both times.:laugh:

7. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

So what do PBs believe to be the purpose of Jesus going to the Cross? What is the purpose of lives being lived if there is no one to point to Christ?

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The HS does that. So does His own.

#28 Earth Wind and Fire, Oct 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2014
  9. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just to clarify, here is an article on PB's & the Hyper Calvies. To begin....

Monergism.com defines Hyper-Calvinism as follows:

1 - that God is the author of sin and of evil
    2 - that men have no will of their own, and secondary causes are of no effect
    3 - that the number of the elect at any time may be known by men
    4 - that it is wrong to evangelize
    5 - that assurance of election must be sought prior to repentance and faith
    6 - that men who have once sincerely professed belief are saved regardless of what they later do
    7 - that God has chosen some races of men and has rejected others
    8 - that the children of unbelievers dying in infancy are certainly damned
    9 - that God does not command everyone to repent
    10 - that the sacraments are not means of grace, but obstacles to salvation by faith alone.
    11 - that the true church is only invisible, and salvation is not connected with the visible church
    12 - that the Scriptures are intended to be interpreted by individuals only and not by the church.
    13 - that no government is to be obeyed which does not acknowledge that Jesus is the Lord, or that Biblical Law is its source of authority
    14 - that the grace of God does not work for the betterment of all men
    15 - that saving faith is equivalent to belief in the doctrine of predestination
    16 - that only Calvinists are Christians (Neo-gnostic Calvinism)

and the entire story:
    http://www.marchtozion.com/church/339-primitive-baptists-and-hypercalvinism

10. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The same as everybody else does. To redeem sinners who have never been GOATS to Him, but have always been His sheep. Their names are etched in His mind. The Bible's term for that is "written in the Lamb's Book of Life from the foundation of the world".

The purpose of redeemed and quickened lives being lived is to glorify Christ in their midst, (Ephesians 3:20-21) and in so doing, save themselves from their (respective) untoward generations (Acts 2:40).

11. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

How do you explain that the Biblical speakers and writers use the imperative mode then? There are other options you know (indicative, subjunctive, etc.).

12. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are the addressees outside of a congregation ? or, in the Old Testament, not of Israel ? will the command result in deliverance from a timely threat, or to eternal threats ? will the result of obedience result in a timely benefit to the doer, or an eternal benefit ?

give examples please.

13. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

But the apostles had the Holy Spirit.

But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” Acts 1:8

So what is the purpose of sending the apostles to do these things as pinoy said the GC was to, if as you say, the GC is completed through the Holy Spirit?

So I say again, there would be no purpose of Christians being here if the Great Commission was to the Holy Spirit.

13 for, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”[f]

14 How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? 15 And how can anyone preach unless they are sent? As it is written: “How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news
    ! Romans 10:13-15

According to Scripture, someBODY has to SPEAK the word to be heard by them.

And Scripture says someONE. Not the Holy Spirit. Not Jesus Christ. But someONE.

As I've said before, any time someone authors confusion that goes against what the words on the page of God's word says, it's because it's opinion and not His FACT.

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  15. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

He seems to support Christians completing the GC. He says:

16. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    surprising, isn't it ?

17. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

So do PBs believe the purpose of the Great Commission is to take the Gospel to the unsaved or not?:confused:

18. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The purpose is to preach, teach, and take the gospel to the gospelly unsaved.
    Who are they ?
    We don't profess to know, but God does.
    Where are they ?
    We don't know.
    God does.
    How will we gather them to us ?
    Search me.
    In many instances, God will lead one He called out to one person, and it goes from there.
    In some instances, there is a family of believers ready to have the gospel preached to them, as in the case of the church I go to now here in California.
    They are descendants of Primitive Baptists who migrated to California from the Oklahoma and Texas dust bowls (?).
    In other cases, as in the Philippines, believers from other denominations, beginning with their pastors, "migrate" to the Primitive Baptist churches.
    I am talking of Primitive Baptist experiences.

My personal experience ?
    Before I graduated from Bible school, a teacher in the ACE-Church run school requested me to start a Bible study at her house in one of the economically depressed areas in the Metro Manila area, smack in the middle of a drug dealing, "devoutly and superstitiously" folk Catholicism neighborhood.
    It was attended by her family, 3 of her husband's friends, and some Catholic "defenders" initially.
    Neighbors were hostile.
    The husband and his friends, and her son, would attend the study, drunk, and blow cigarette smoke into my face and ask insulting, provocative questions and I was on the verge of giving up, except the Holy Spirit stood by me.
    The first converts were her husband, his 3 friends, and her sons.
    They were the first baptized from that small group.
    We had our first Sunday service at that house, surrounded by life-sized Catholic images owned by her mother, with defiant Roman Catholics in the kitchen not 20 feet away drinking and smoking and singing rowdy folk songs to disturb us.
    But we kept on.
    The following month, one of her husband's friends donated the lot he owned adjacent to his small ramshackle hut, and we moved our services there, with our trousers folded to the knee, and feet in mud, because the area, the neighborhood, is unpaved.
    We had a tarp over our heads, a small kitchen table for a pulpit, and muddied wooden long benches for seats.
    Our first offering was the equivalent of five dollars.
    Before the service was over, the tarp had collapsed on us because of rain collecting.
    But we were happy, we were blessed, and we were wet.
    That church grew within a year from an attendance of 12, including children, to 85 baptized, charter members, excluding children.
    Within a year it had its own building, I had my small room, and the Spirit added four families from other churches.
    And I seldom, if ever, gave altar calls.
    Most of those 85 were converts from Catholicism, who, like Nicodemus, often snuck into the church and night and knocked at my room's door because they had questions about Christ and the church.
    Today, they have over 200 members in roster, over a hundred active attendees, and they are pastored by one of those who used to breathe his alcoholic breath on my face, and blew smoke at me, the brother-in-law of a guy who waited in ambush for me twice at the intersection I usually got off coming from Bible school, to kill me.
    And they moved, 10 years ago, with no prodding from me, from Arminianism, to Calvinism.
    Yes, Calvinism, not Primitive Baptist Doctrine of Grace.
    That's fine for me, God knows what He is doing.
    He proved it from the first time He sounded the gospel call to my ears, to the time He told me to stay, when I was giving up.

19. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

So you believe what the elder does and what most Bible believing Christians do. We must take the Gospel to where the Holy Spirit prompts us in Jerusalem , Judeah, Samaria and the outermost parts.

20. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    yes, it is the anti-PB's on this board who says we absolutely don't because we are hyper-Calvinists.
    Probably because we don't believe in missions, as implemented today (board of trustees approving who goes where and when with how much support, to get souls saved from hell and the lake of fire, etc).
    We preach the gospel wherever, whenever, to whoever we have the opportunity to, as God creates the opportunity.
    We don't create the opportunity.
    We do not know who the elect are, and so if God calls us anywhere, we are to "cast our bread into the waters", and God draws the sheep ((probably along with some goats just to keep his ministers on their toes).