1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dvi ??

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by exscentric, Oct 6, 2008.

1. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Has anyone tried to run a new monitor that plugs into a dvi socket on a vga comuter with a vga to dvi adapter?

What were the results?

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I thought speaking in tongues ceased during the first century :laugh:

3. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well for the most part, but some of us really spiritual folks ... :laugh:

The vga is the old 15 pin trapazoid connector and the dvi is a rectangular that the new flatscreens use - it is a faster type of video - digital I think but I'm out of my elements since my equipment is old.

I teach a basic computing class and the computer lab I just said yes to teach at has new equipment and I need to use my old stuff on their monitor or else take a monitor with me which does not fit into my laziness :thumbs: so looking for an option.

4. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well near as I can tell I cannot do that (vga to dvi) though I did find out many of the dvi monitors have vga ports so I can actually do what I want to do - run vga into a dvi monitor, just not the complicated way I was thinking :thumbs:

Just heard that a monitor is coming out soon (already out in Japan) that runs from a usb port and has ethernet connection as well as a usb hub built in - now that will make a lot of video card folks upset I bet :laugh:

5. kubel

kubel New Member

I've done DVI to VGA (backwards of what you are talking about). Works just fine, no major noticeable difference. But since you would be using analog, it would be more susceptible to interference (mostly from ground loops).

As long as it's a DVI-I or DVI-A plug, it should include analog signals, so it should have just the same quality as a VGA connection, and should work just fine (as long as you find the right adapter- good luck).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If it's not a DVI-I or DVI-A, it won't work without a digital -> analog converter box. $$$$

#5 kubel, Oct 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2008
  6. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks much!