1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Earl Scruggs, On Life — And Banjo Picking

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by Crabtownboy, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. ray Marshall

ray Marshall New Member

If he has been a follower of bluegrass for several years, I suppose he will remember these greats. Eddie Adcock, Don Reno, Courtney Johnson, Ronnie McClain, and Raymond Fairchild. Raymond Fairchild can play serious banjo. Years ago, around the 70's I played bluegrass with a group. I use to go to some of the bluegrass festivals, Ralph Stanley's festival in McClure Va, Carlton Haney's around Reedy Nc., Renfro Valley Ky., Berryville, Va Beckley Wv Wise va., and some more I just cant remember. The Country Gentlemen w/John Duffy Charlie Waller, Eddie Adcock, and Tom Gray was a favorite band. Duffy Was the first to leave the c. Gentlemen and form the Seldom Scene. Adcock left and formed the 11 Generation and later him and his wife formed the Eddie Adcock and Martha band. The Bluegrass alliance broke up and some of it's members located around the Washington DC area. Tony Rice (guitarest) went throw several bands and finally formed the Tony Rice Unit. He had a great voice but he lost his voice throw a tradegy that shouldn't have happened.
    Charlie Waller and John Duffy suffered serious heart attactks and both are deceased. It was good that the waller, duffy, Adcock, and Tom Gray cut a return engagement album together before Waller, and Adcock died.

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I became a bluegrass fan in 2001. I am familiar with some of the people you mentioned.

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks, Crabtownboy. :)

By the way, what's with the used of the past tense, "liked"? Did I die and someone forget to tell me? :laugh:

5. ray Marshall

ray Marshall New Member

I grew up with country(Old country) and Bluegrass back as far as a young boy.10-20. by that time around the fiftys I mostly liked country but as the years come, I began liking Bluegrass the best. Around the later 60's.
    During those years I played Guitar and got in with some neighbors that played Bluegrass which help me a lot and learned more in the bluegrass vein. During those years in the 70's I played with some local musicians. so I had been with it for quiet sometime. I don't play anymore, just here at the house, but I knew most of the big bluegrass bands during that time . I still listen to the music a lot, yet

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I grew up listening to country music back in the 1960s. I finally got tired of the direction of commercial country music and when I heard the "Soggy Bottom Boys" sing "I Am A Man of Constant Sorrow" I knew I had found what I wanted to listen to and will now help to promote it on WorldwideBluegrass.com.

7. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry about the past tense in the post. My wife says I am always mixing them up in my writing .... oh well.

I grew up with country music and blue grass and also became tired of the direction of country music. In fact, what passes for country music these days to me is not really country music.

Bluegrass is still bluegrass and is still great music.

Are you familiar with: http://bluegrasscountry.org/

8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  9. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like Stained Glass Bluegrass very much, takes me back to my childhood and the singing in country churches.

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like the show "Banks of the Ohio". I enjoy hearing the music in an historical perspective from the pre-bluegrass days forward.