1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Early Years Profession of Faith.

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Berean, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In 40 years of ministry I have met 3 Catholics who may have been truly born again but just not leaving the papist religion. I know NO Lutherans, Mormons, Methodists or Episcopals who could even define what "born again" was, much less claim such. Very sad.

Hard not to make broad-brush statements when that is all I know. But I am in the north and did know some United Brethren (merged with Methodist for some unknown reason) who were saved. Maybe in the South the Gospel is clearly preached in the Lutheran churches, but I highly doubt it.

Just sharing experiences and personal observation. If YOU were a UM and truly saved, then God bless. And pleased you left that corrupt denomination to be a Baptist!!

2. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

My experiences and observations are the opposite. I know many Methodists, and even (gasp) Catholics who have faith in Christ and follow Him for salvation. I only know one Episcopalian but he's more of a nominal Episcopalian. The Episcopal Church has issues to put it lightly, but I can't comment on them too much because I don't know any practicing Episcopalians. I did visit an Episcopal church once out of curiosity. Their choir sounded pretty. In regards to that "corrupt denomination," I'd go back in a heartbeat if I lived in an area that didn't have any Baptist churches, or if all the Baptist churches in that area were heretical/ had "issues", etc. I'm a Baptist by conviction, but I love the United Methodist Church.

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You do know how corrupt and liberal the UM is, right? Just look at their "position" on doctrines, practice, etc and you won't find too many other denominations as anti-Christian values and standards. But that is another thread. ;)

I see you're from Jacksonville. I've only been in one Baptist Church in that city (Trinity) and would never go back or be associated with them. They covered up heinous sins of their former pastor (26 counts of child molestation) and honored him, hiding the truth to protect themselves.

That is a practice that might drive ME to the UM. :eek:

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I've found that there's a difference between the southern UMCs and the northern UMCs. Up here, the MC is pretty much dead but in the south, there are some still evangelical Methodist churches.

5. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

I have read their positions on doctrines and practices. They are to the left of the SBC for sure, but they're not what I would consider theologically liberal. Here's a link to what United Methodists believe:

http://archives.umc.org/interior.asp?mid=1648

I would never have anything to do with that church.

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Interestingly enough, the Methodist church my husband grew up in, and his parents just left 3 years ago because of a move does not believe the Bible to be true. The "stories" are just that - stories. Evolution is true and the creation story is an analogy. There was no flood. There was no parting of the sea. It's a nice story book and we can get some nice things about God in it but it's not the inspired Word of God but there are many other sources of "truth" out there. Christianity and the Bible is not all there is. Sunday School classes included Bill Moyer's "Genesis" as instructional (not critical) and when my FIL questioned the pastor about something and he referred to what the Bible said, the pastor said, "Well, you can't take everything the Bible says as true."

So yeah, I'd say they are quiet a bit more to the left than Baptists, at least here in NY.

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

My experience is mostly with Catholics.
    I find that if a Catholic professes faith in Christ and will leave the Catholic Church and be willing to be taught then his faith is genuine. If he has simply made a profession and will not leave the Catholic Church most of the time it was just a profession and that is all. There was no real conversion.

8. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

One of my children was saved at the age of five and never looked back. Though in secular work he is taking part time Bible College classes and has a heart for missions.

I have another child who also made a decision for the Lord at an early age, probably because her Sunday School teacher wanted her to. She rebelled, and made another decision for the Lord when she was about 13. That time she was outright told by her pastor that she was not saved. So she prayed to please her pastor. Only at the age of sixteen when convicted by the Holy Spirit did she genuinely trust Christ as her Savior.
    Three false professions and then she trusted Christ.
    Still I would never discourage a child from trusting Christ.

9. RAdam

RAdam New Member

I see a whole lot of people that think they can read the heart.