1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Earned Income Credit

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Salty, Dec 9, 2010.

1. rbell

rbell Active Member

Sorry if I wasn't clear.

I won't accept EIC payments over and above what I paid in taxes. If I paid $1000 in taxes, I would accept up to $1000 in EIC. No more.

2. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    How about the interest the government earned on your withheld $1,000?

3. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Many many people cheat on the EIC. I know from doing taxes. Man and woman come into the the tax office. The man sits at my desk. He earn $56,000.00 a year and files single even though he has three kids with the woman he is living with. The woman sits at a fellow tax preparers desk. She claims head of house hold, three children, and only $5,000.00 in income. She gets back all she paid in on taxes plus several thousand dollars due to the earned income credit. They ought to be ashamed of themselves for ripping off fellow citizens but they do it with a straight face. Single woman comes in. She lives with her parents who are footing the bill for her and her two children. But she convinces her parents not to claim her nor the grandchildren as dependents. She gives a bogus address, claims head of house hold, and reports only $4000.00 in income and gets a boat load back thanks to the EIC. EIC is nothing but another welfare fraud cast on the backs on honest working citizen. It steals from those who really work for a living and gives it to those who do not. What a crock!!!

4. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No matter what you do people will always find ways around the system to cheat it. However, it is a system that properly used will help families in need.

5. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Then enforce the rules. I have no problem helping people but cheaters need to be caught and dealt with. I'd guess that the politicians don't want to enforce the rules. EIC is another vote buying scheme given to us by the likes of non other than Slick Willie himself. Thanks Bill for another revenue sucker at the cost of hard working citizens.

6. billwald

billwald New Member

If taxes are stolen money then why did Jesus command us to pay taxes to one of the most evil people in history?

Are condo dues also stolen money?

sidebar - It is obvious why so many good Christians are also good Republicans. You use the same arguments to chose which laws you will chose to follow - and then claim to be law keepers.

7. sag38

sag38 Active Member

The Troll has arrived!!!!

8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Taxes for the general welfare, ie roads, post office, reasonal admin expenses, military, ect is proper and needed.

Welfare is stolen money. Its time the govt got out of that business and let chuches and social agcy take care of the needy without interference.

9. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    welfare is not stolen money. Its properly taxed and redistributed. Not stolen. Difference.

10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    redistributed - That is the key word - okay so its legalized stolen money.

How can govt income be "properly taxed" when nearly 40% of Americians pay no income tax?

11. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Taxed money belongs to the government. Period. what they do with it is determined by our elected officials this is not stolen money. Capice?

12. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

No Capice -- Taxed money belongs to the citizens and to be managed by our reps - and they are doing a lousy job. Why - because they keep giving money to the masses from the sweat and tears of a few, so the reps can keep getting reelected.

You said: "what they do with it is determined by our elected officials"
    So if congress passed a law that said that divorced men who do not have custody of their children would not be eligible for food stamps.
    According to you that would be legal, since it was determined by our elected officials

13. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    If it was passed by both houses and signed in by the president and didn't contradict the constitution. yes. I would. I may think it is a lousy law. We live in a republic therefore decisions of the citizenry is determined by our elected officials.

14. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay, anyone with a username with "stuff" in it must pay a 50% surchare on thier taxes.
    I wonder if TS would sit back and take it.

and I will close with this link (click here)

how can you debate with foolish thinking :tonofbricks:

15. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

Yes, but at least two groups of citizens are effectively muzzled in their ability to express their thoughts on those elected officials.

1. Conservative Churches subject to losing their 503Cx status

2. Federal Employees by the Hatch Act subject to job loss

Salty makes many valid points...

Just because elected officials make a law does not mean it is morally and ethically right.

They could, and probably will the way things are going, make a law that says if you Name the Name of Christ you will be thrown into a firey furnance.

It's the Law, But, is it right? And, should we obey it?

16. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I must say your post is funny. And I had a good laugh. However, the fact remains welfare is not stolen money but distributed by legal assent of our government. You don't like it get representatives to change the law. But to equate it with stolen money is not proper.

Even the OT has a form of welfare and it is not considered stolen. Look at the book of Ruth.

#56 Thinkingstuff, Dec 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2010
  17. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In addition, military personnel are prohibit from attending any political rally in uniform. Further, an officer or NCO must be careful in providing political views to his subordinates - the theory being that you could receive repercussions if you don't vote the way your superior might want you to. I would say that is somewhat reasonable.

The same is similar for federal employees - basically to avoid a conflict of interest.

As far as churches - the point is that they are tax exempt free and thus should not engage in promoting a candidate - issues would be another story. Again, that is something I can live with. If your church cant, than pay taxes on the income and go for it.

Should churches be tax exempt?

18. rbell

rbell Active Member

To be fair, the process enumerated in Ruth kept folks from starving. It did not encourage a lifestyle of sloth, or cause a market to develop of full-time "system gaming."

It gave food to hungry people. We give food, housing, cell phones, and pretty much anything else we can.

19. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Your Biblical example is terrible. Ruth had to go out and work for the grain. It wasn't brought to her and Naomi all wrapped up in a neat little check. Nor was Boaz forced, by the government, to give anything away.

20. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    God made a provision for people in need. The Book of Ruth clearly shows that fact. It is not a "horrible example" but an appropriate one. Jesus said the Poor you will have always. And so it is. And its our duty to care for them. Moses did not just establish a religion but a governmental system which included welfare. Which is evident in the book of Ruth. How did Ruth take care of her mother in Law?