1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Earth

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by ryarn, Mar 13, 2013.

1. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the light was instantly created containing the image of a super nova already traveling toward Earth the super nova never actually occurred. We are seeing an image of a non-event. Why would God do that?

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

For His glory? To see the marvels of the universe? To point to something supernatural like walking on water? No idea. The OE'ers have these same kind of problems in other areas. This leads me to believe in the literal account done supernaturally, and I accept it by faith, not science.

3. humblethinker

humblethinker Active Member

So, tell me why, from scripture, you do not believe in geocentrism then?

This is an interesting statement. Can you clarify it? Are you saying that if one rejects what the Bible "says" about a feature of the material world, they they therefore lose the intellectual integrity to hold to spiritual truth for which the Bible "says"?

4. Winman

Winman Active Member

It is impossible to create something without the appearance of age. How do you create a star without appearance of age?

As for the layers of earth, I believe that occurred during Noah's flood.

But, take Adam and Eve, from all impressions given they were created as full grown adults, not a fetus. The animals were the same, they were created with the appearance of age. I assume plant life was the same.

5. humblethinker

I hear you Winman. To accept an Old Earth/old cosmos or to accept TE (theistic evolution) is not to say that God did not work 'miracles', you do agree?

For example, in regards to TE, a proponent might propose that while mankind evolved, at a certain stage of their evolution God 'miraculously' and specially created Adam and Eve, and Eden, in luring the plants and animals specifically in it.

I'm not proposing such here but what I want to make clear is that OE or TE does not teach that the miraculous could not have happened.

6. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where would have the rocks came from? Space! You see God created the heavens and the Earth by speaking them into existence. There was no place for rocks to come from He created the universe and the Earth all in one literal day

Gen 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
    Gen 1:2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
    Gen 1:3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
    Gen 1:4 And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.
    Gen 1:5 And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

One evening or night and one day equals a 24 hour day.
    MB

7. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    4 Therefore seeing we have this ministry, as we have received mercy, we faint not;

2 But have renounced the hidden things of dishonesty, not walking in craftiness, nor handling the word of God deceitfully; but by manifestation of the truth commending ourselves to every man's conscience in the sight of God.

3 But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:

4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

5 For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus' sake.

6 For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.

7 But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.

8 We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair;

9 Persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed;

10 Always bearing about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our body.

11 For we which live are always delivered unto death for Jesus' sake, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our mortal flesh.

12 So then death worketh in us, but life in you.

13 We having the same spirit of faith, according as it is written, I believed, and therefore have I spoken; we also believe, and therefore speak;

This universe is spoken into existence by God.We are dependant upon Him to define reality for us....not science.
    Science has a place in that God has given us a mandate to have dominion and be stewards of the creation.

As salvation is divinely revealed or not.....men either are subject to God and His revelation...or in rebellion.Many who offer these ideas are opposed to God and His word. The Lords Day.....is based on a 24 hour day...not millions of years....or light speed.

3 Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.

3 by faith we understand the ages to have been prepared by a saying of God, in regard to the things seen not having come out of things appearing;

8. humblethinker

Icon, is this an argumentum verbosium? I don't quite see how you answered my questions.

9. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Ht.....no...they are bible verses....has it been awhile since you have seen them, in between science articles ,philosophy, and debate fallacies....

You need to check with my friend benjamin for all debate fallacies...perhaps he will award me infractions and penanlties for quoting scripture:laugh:

10. humblethinker

Icon, really though, I am familiar with scripture. What I'm not familiar with is what your thoughts are behind placing that scripture. It's almost as though you use scripture as a incantation and when the simple placement doesn't work as you think it should then it's obviously due to the reader's spiritual deficiency... Would you just explain what you want to say instead? Now, would you engage my questions I put to you?