1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Earthquake Weather! You Be the Judge....

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Aug 11, 2012.

?
  1. Yes...

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. No...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Not sure, there's no real scientific evidence to support it...

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. I find it a curious occurrence, but that is all!

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are many southern California's who believe as I, and that is that there is a connection between the heat and the earthquakes.

While we've been sweltering in the extreme heat this week, we've also seen experiencing a higher thannormal number of shallow earthquakes.

On August 9, we had approximately 11 earthquakes in the Greater LA Area. And in the last seven days, more than 21 quakes have been recorded in California, alone, and that does not include nearly a hundred aftershocks!

I guess you could say, "We're a shakin', while we're bakin'!" :laugh:

Do any of you hold to the mythical [old wife's tale] thought of "Earthquake weather?" :type:

2. Winman

Winman Active Member

Never heard of this before, but who knows? Perhaps extreme heat does increase the chance of earthquakes.

3. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

Perhaps both are being caused by some fluctuation in the earth's rotation or orbit. They could be related or just coincidence.

4. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

RD- More earthquakes, you say? Put your waders on, 'cause you're about to get wet.:laugh:

5. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Never heard the term before.

It does make sense, however, with regards to shallow earthquakes. In hot weather, if it becomes dry enough to materially affect ground water that could be a factor. (Changing the weight factor over small faults over a wide area.) Especially in areas with soil consisting mainly of silt and sand. As the water evaporates, it lightens the load that the substructure has been bearing, thus increasing the likelyhood that structure will shift.

Just my 2 cents from an area where 3. earthquakes are rare.