1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Easter Bunny

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Preacher Nathan Knight, Apr 16, 2003.

1. Preacher Nathan Knight

As we all know, Easter is Sunday. A time when we reflect and remember the ressurection of the Lord Jesus. But there is another story told on Easter, the story of the Easter Bunny. I would like to hear everyone's thoughts on the Easter Bunny. Does your children believe in him? Would you let your children believe in him?

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

What do you mean? Are you saying there's no Easter Bunny? Next, you'll be telling me there's no tooth fairy!!

3. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Yes.

4. Molly

Molly New Member

We celebrate Resurrection Sunday,as opposed to Easter. We do not even call it Easter...mainly because we want the name to reflect the reason and meaning behind it.

We attend a Good Friday service on Friday night where we sing and read scripture having to do with the crucifixion,then we celebrate His resurrection Sunday morning. We do give our children small baskets with springtime goodies in them. We see no harm in celebrating this way. Our children know there is no easter bunny,obviously....the gifts are from mom and dad.

5. stubbornkelly

stubbornkelly New Member

[​IMG] John!

I believed in the Easter Bunny when I was a little girl. I grew out of it around the same time I grew out of Santa and the tooth fairy - I was around six, I guess. My parents still say that the "big bunny" brought me something, as they do with the "big guy with the reindeer," but it's a fun tradition, not anything real. I know they went to the store and bought my annual stuffed bunny (yes, I still get a stuffed bunny every year [​IMG] ), and I know the Cadbury creme eggs came from CVS, but it's harmless and fun to play about the big bunny. IMNSHO, anyway.

But, at the same time, it was always a fun thing in our house, nothing serious. I grew up in a Christian home, and we never made light of the actual reason for either holiday.

My boyfriend's daughter knows there's no Easter Bunny or Santa Claus that brings stuff to the house. She's 7 and a half.

Anyway, my take on it is that it's a harmless addition to two wonderful holidays, and although it is important to be mindful when dealing with children, there's no real reason to shield children from the Easter Bunny. I know a lot of parents worry about "lying to my children," and there may be something to that with some kids, but I haven't met anyone who was traumatized as a kid because they found out Santa or the Bunny weren't real. If anything, most of my friends tell me that they grew out of it around the same age I did and felt they had to "break the news" to their parents. Now that's funny!

6. Headcoveredlady

Headcoveredlady New Member

At this time of year we remember that Jesus was crucified for our sins and that He was raised up and He is alive today.

We try not to ever lie to our children.

7. Molly

Molly New Member

HCL,Yes,lying is wrong,isn't it???? [​IMG]

8. Preacher Nathan Knight

I know a man who was severly affected when he found out there was no Santa Claus or Easter Bunny. When he was a child his parents told him those two existed and he believed every word of it. Later in life he found out that they were not real and it traumatized him. When his parents started to tell him about Jesus and salvation he would not even listen. He thought Jesus was just another lie that his parents were telling him. To this day he is an atheist with no structured belief system. When he is asked about why he is an atheist, he always says it is because his parents allowed him to believe in lies and therefore Jesus is a lie in his mind.

9. christfollower55

christfollower55 New Member

I belive that Chirst died on wednesday at 6:00 pm. And was buried Thursday night. If you do the math you have 3 days and 3 nights.

1.) Friday Morning
    2.) Saturday Morning
    3.) Sunday Morning-Resurection

1.) Thursday Night
    2.) Friday Night
    3.) Saturday Night

GOD BLESS AMERICA

10. stubbornkelly

stubbornkelly New Member

I guess my take on it is just different.

I consider the Easter bunny issue like that of a fairy tale. I believed all sorts of things growing up, many of which I got out of fairy tales (mermaids don't exist, but I used to think they did!). No one lied to me - I picked it up from a book. I see the Santa Claus and Easter bunny stories as orally told fairy tales, not lies.

But maybe we could start another thread to discuss whether or not novels, fairy tales, or acting count as lies. :confused:

11. g_1933

g_1933 New Member

I had a lot of fun as a child searching for "Easter Eggs" in the backyard. I don't see anything wrong with the Easter Bunny as long as we teach the truth of the ressurection. I would not teach children to "believe" in the Easter Bunny.

Easter along with Christmas is becoming nothing but a sales trip for stores with the truth being left out. And in a lot of cases, it is becoming taboo to tell the truth at all.

G

12. christfollower55

christfollower55 New Member

AMEN !!!!

GOD BLESS AMERICA

13. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I STILL have an "Easter Egg" hunt in the back yard every year. My grandchildren know the Easter Bunny doesn't hide the eggs...Grandma does!

They also know rabbits don't lay eggs so I hide plastic eggs with candy in them. [​IMG]

We also bake "Easter Cookies" every year so the story of Christ's ressurection is reinforced. They started going to church the Sunday they got out of the hospital after they were born. They are not confused about Easter.

I think it's wonderful that God takes these events that Satan tried to pervert and turns them into Christian holidays.

[​IMG]
    Sue

14. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Telling stories, fables, tales, fiction, fairy tales, allegories, myths, fantasy - is NOT LYING. It is a part of our literary culture.

So if you tell your children about Peter Pan or Mickey Mouse or Old Yeller or Peter Cottontail, it is a wonderful way to encourage the imagination and develop thinking skills.

HOWEVER . . .

The problem rears its ugly head at major Christian celebrations with a concerted attempt to link the TRUTH (Jesus birth, resurrection) directly with a TALE. That is confusing to children; which is just "made up" and which should you believe?

Not even subtle attack. So I would recommend being 100% up front and honest with the kiddos and laugh and smile about the "fairy tales" (easter eggs, bunnies, santa) and then be very careful that they know and understand the serious truth of great Bible teaching.

Now excuse me. Gotta go dye some eggs for the grandkids . . . :rolleyes:

15. Johnv

Johnv New Member

My boyfriend's daughter knows there's no Easter Bunny or Santa Claus that brings stuff to the house. She's 7 and a half.

What? You mean there's no Santa Claus? [​IMG]

What??? You mean you have a boyfriend?? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. Johnv

Johnv New Member

We try not to ever lie to our children.

Well, I for one am not about to tell my 6 year old son that his imaginary friend isn't real. If that means I'm a liar, then I shall lie boldly.

17. g_1933

g_1933 New Member

I used to have an imaginary friend that lived in the air duct! My parents never told me it wasn't real although they always taught me about Christ and the meaning of Christian holidays. I don't think I was adversely affected by their not telling me.

G

18. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I dunno. The kids have fun with it, they know it isn't real.
    Then again I lie all the time. I've carried monsters out from under beds and tossed them out the window, I've sprayed my kids with special ghost/monster repelling perfume that makes them run like the wind if they come anywhere near the bedrooms at night, I walked 50 miles to school barefoot in the snow when I was little, BEFORE they invented feet, and I told them I didn't have a belly button either. They just found that one was a lie about two weeks ago when they plotted to find out once and for all if it was real and broke into the shower. [​IMG]
    So yeah, we pretend the bunny's real, they know it's not because bunny's usually don't take their heads off when it gets hot or ask you if you want a piece of candy or grow 6 feet tall and walk on their back legs. Guess my kids are smart like that. ;)
    Gina

19. mozier

mozier New Member

My wife and I have told our daughters from Day One that there is no Easter Bunny or Santa Claus. Not in a harsh manner, but rather in a gentle way so that they would not be confused later on when they find out that they are not real.

As for Easter, I do like the idea of NOT calling it Easter, calling it "Resurrection Sunday" is a great idea!

mozier

20. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But shouldn't every Sunday be "Resurrection Sunday?" [​IMG]