1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Easter

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by Walls, Aug 3, 2003.

1. Walls

Walls New Member

When I was researching the beliefs of the Welsh Baptist, someone had led me to the Waldensian's belief. In reading some of their history it said they refused to acknowledge Easter/or the date thereof.

Does anyone know about this?

2. mioque

mioque New Member

The Waldensians are a serious contender for the title of most controversial group in church history. Proceed with caution.
    Never read anything about them disputing Easter.

3. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

Waldensians aren't the only ones who don't celebrate Easter. It's origins are pagan. But then so are a lot of Christmas rituals. :eek:

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

The names of the days of the week are pagan too, but it doesn't stop you from having a calendar, and using their pagan names.

5. Walls

Walls New Member

Katie, are you referring to me in specific or is that a general YOU? If you are meaning me, I make up my own calendars using the 1st month, 2nd month, 1st day , 2nd day and so on. Beginning with the month that is called April seeings how God declared it to be the first month of the year and have done so for years now. We do not recognize any pagan days period.

But that is really not the question I raised. If you have information on why the Waldesians wouldn't celebrate Easter, I would appreciate you passing it on. :D

6. Walls

Walls New Member

I found this link on Easter which doesn't exactly answer my question but explains it: http://wilstar.com/holidays/easter.htm

It seems that the US didn't celebrate many holidays until after the Civil War. It freed the slave but left the door wide open for Satan to wreck havoc among the Lord's people. I guess that would be another topic.

7. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Walls, I am concerned about you. You say that you make up your own calendar, starting with April, etc... Why? Why avoid holidays? Why be so very concerned about this silliness? The Bible says:

God is NOT concerned about calendars, Valentine's Day, etc. but with our heart!
    Diane

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

Where did God declare April the first month?
    So that mean when you make a doctors appointment if they say the date, day, or whatever you don't go by it? You never actually know what month or day it is then. How about tax day, if you used a homemade calendar, hjow can you possibely keep up.

9. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Well put Katie! I've never heard such a thing!

Walls, please reread the scripture I gave.

10. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Also, Walls. You choose to follow some laws but there is a scripture that says if you return to the law, you must follow all the laws. I honestly cannot remember where it is or how it's worded and supper is about ready so I'll have to search for it later. However, Dr. Bob pointed out on another thread that there are at least 450 commandments from God.

James 2:10 says 'For whosever shall keep the whole law and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.

Diane

11. Walls

Walls New Member

If any one has information on the question raised I would appreciate if they would respond.

If someone wants to ask me a personal question please pm me. If someone wants to attack my beliefs and judge me, then how does that show a person who looks at the heart.

If the question I raised offends you, then that is between you and the Lord because I am only seeking the truth and the truth offends those who are far away from the truth.

12. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

"The names of the days of the week are pagan too, but it doesn't stop you from having a calendar, and using their pagan names."

My post in no way states my personal observations or beliefs on the topic of this thread. Any statement about what I do or what I believe made by anyone other than myself, should be read as pure conjecture and opinion which is not based on fact or personal knowledge.

What I posted: "Waldensians aren't the only ones who don't celebrate Easter. It's origins are pagan. But then so are a lot of Christmas rituals." Can be easily varified as factual.

Here are a few web-sites that support the truth of my previous post:

Religious Tolorance web-site.
    Yahweh web-site

NYC. Religion.com

I found this on the web while doing a search on the Waldensians. Perhaps the Waldensians do not celebrate Easter for this reason and not the other that was suggested previously?
    Georgetown Prep Web-site

13. skeets

skeets New Member

[​IMG] Hello Walls
    Ref.Calender
    I take a little interest in the calender.In Gen 8:4 is an early ref to a calender. I think the Ides of Mar. refer to a calender. The day of atonement is a ref. to a calender. The month of Abib will be a first.I think your stand on the calender is interesting I would hope that a few would research this and add gain some wisdom.

14. TheOliveBranch

TheOliveBranch New Member

Holidays have many pagan beliefs intertwined with Christian occurances. This, I would go so far as to say, is a way for the heathen to distract from the Christian truth. Easter was not celebrated by the Waldensians, as by many Baptists also. The pagan is strong in its influence with those things, especially the pagan holidays that occured around the same time. One can argue which came first, the pagan or the Christian. I think they interchanged, such as Christmas.

Many of the pagan celebrations didn't enter this country, as Walls has stated, around the time of the Civil War. The date is always on a Sunday, after the Jewish date of Nisan 14, which occurs on the first full moon of the Jewish first month. This is the date that the Jews celebrate the extended sabbath, or the passover (as Wisdom has stated), which would coincide with the crucifiction of Christ.

As for the Waldensians being a group to shy away from, I would not do such thing because they play a large part in Baptist history. We may learn more good than harm from some of their teachings.

15. TheOliveBranch

diane,

I don't see a problem with Walls heart, nor do I see him overlooking this. I think he wants to please the Lord in the things he does, and by shunning those things that are pagan is one way of becoming more Godly in his walk. You will find this way in 2 Tim 2:15-16 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.
    He is obviously doing his studying and taking stands to become closer to God. Why should his choices to avoid pagan customs bother you so much as to become legalistic in telling him that he can't do what he is doing? Why should he accept that God looks on the heart, then continue in those things that are not pleasing to the Lord? I don't understand this line of thought. :confused:

16. TheOliveBranch

If you read the chapter prior to and following the verses you quoted, I believe the thought being put across hear is telling us not to be guilty of folling these things. Verses 8-13 explain how salvation and our outward testimony are for Christ. Verses 20-23 show that we must live in the world but not being a part of it. Verses 14-19 are given to tell us to Godly so as not to be judged or guilty of such. Or is that what you are saying? By highlighting verses 22-23, this is showing how mans' doctrines and the flesh are not to be a part of Christian living.

I think Walls should be commended for her desire to stay away from the ungodly things. The Jewish calendar starts in late March/early April. They live their calendar, but will acknowledge the pagan one, because so many follow it. But when it comes to their worship of God, they choose to follow their own calendar.

Easter has many pagan things tied into it. I celebrate the Resurrection, but have nothing to do with the pagan customs, the eggs, bunnies, hot cross buns, etc. That day should be a celebration of his resurrection and our children need to keep Christ at the forefront.

17. Walls

Walls New Member

You are absolutely right Olive Branch. I am seeking only to do what God would find pleasing in this presently wicked world that is waxing worse and worse.

Jer 6:16 Thus saith the LORD, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls. But they said, We will not walk therein.

Sad but this is where we are at today. That is why only a remnant will be saved in the last days. If it was wrong so many years ago, why would it be right now? So many times it is easier to go with the flow than to make a stand for righteousness and the accusers are those that claim the name of Christ.

Mt 23:23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

Matt 7: 21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? 23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

That is why it is so important to abstain from all appearances of evil 1Thes 5:22 and idols 2Co 6:16, 1Jo 5:21 such as Holidays with others gods as their origins. Which is why I posted this thread in the first place.

18. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Walls - WHICH Jewish calendar are you advocating we use? The yearly calendar for harvest? The yearly calendar for ritual Judaism? The yearly calendar for ascension of monarchs?

ALL started on different months and different days.

Thankfully, when I got saved, I gave up ritual Judaism as a way of life. If I want to remember passover or hanukkah, that is my cultural heritage. But if one feels they MUST still observe the sacrifices and feasts, God bless them. I treat them as a "weaker brother" for that is surely what they are.

If they move that feeling to believe that ALL CHRISTIANS should be observant Jews, I call that legalistic judiaizers and condemn them along with the NT.

19. Walls

Walls New Member

In case any one has forgotten, this is a thread on Easter and why the Waldensians wouldn't observe it. If you have historical information pertaining to the topic, please feel free to share it.

Once again I will reiterate, if you have a personal question for me, please send me a pm. ;)

20. donnA

donnA Active Member

Walls
    Can I ask what this means? Remnant? In context of this topic(or the callendar issue) what is this remnant?

I do not think Dr. Bob asking you which calendar is a personal question, I did not see you answer, did I miss something?
    Even you yourself told me you didn't have the months all figured out becuse you couldn't figue out haw many days they had in a month. Any a calendar is made the maker needs to be sure of th days in each month or the calendar is flawed.