1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Eastern Orthodox, Cult or Not...

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Living_stone, Apr 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

I think that Orthodox churches are certainly not a "cult" in the modern usage of the word.

I have some doctrinal differences with both the Catholic and Orthodox churches. Unless I am confused, the Orthodox churches, as a rule, are a little too fixed on icons for my own comfort.

I have to say that this idea that the Catholic and Orthodox Churches "sacrifice every week for the sins" (sic) a bit silly. The nature of the Eucharist has nothing to do with re-killing Christ. It is, rather, a "means of grace" by which that already completed sacrifice is remembered and shared with the faithful.

2. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

I have a friend who is an Orthodox Priest and it is our understanding that the Orthodox are very close to the Lutherans in regards to the Holy Communion, a fact which surprised him as he thought all prots believed it to be a memorial. As far as I know they do not see it a reoffering of the Sacrifice like the RCC believes.

Icons as I understand from him are to be an aid to concentration. For instance,when they sit in confession they are to make the confession while looking at an iconic representation of Christ to focus them on the idea that they are confessing to Christ Himself.

3. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

No. They have a few bad doctines but they are not a cult.

4. KellyWhite

KellyWhite New Member

I can't resist the opportunity to correct your statistics.

There are in excess of 30,000 non-Catholic Christian religions as opposed to 3,000 as you stated.

5. Veritas

Veritas New Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The Eastern Orthodox is a cult by definition because they believe that their doctrine and manner of worship is the only true way and treats those outside the Orthodox church as heretics! I have experienced it firsthand. In spite of having over 30 years in the Christian faith and daily study of the Bible, when I'm among the Orthodox they look at me as an outsider. I'm never treated as an equal. When they speak among themselves they always refer to one another as "Orthodox" and never refer to a believer in Christ as a "Christian." They also do not allow me or any non-Orthodox to partake in Communion because we are not worthy and are not true Christians. This is because they strongly believe that being a Christian and believing in Jesus' death and resurrection is not enough! You must be converted and become Orthodox in order to be truly saved and become part of the "true Orthodox Church." This is total heresy! Salvation is supposed to be simple and available to anyone who believes, regardless of church denomination! They value church traditions just as much as they do the Bible and believe that we are saved by faith plus works. All of these teaching are in direct opposition to what is taught in Scripture!
    Mark 7:9 Jesus said to the Pharisees, "You are experts at setting aside the commandment of God in order to keep your tradition!"
    Ephesians 2:8 "For by grace you have been saved through faith; and this is not of yourselves, it is the gift of God."
    Romans 11:6 "But if it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works; otherwise grace would no longer be grace"
    Romans 1:16 "For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Gentile."

6. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This zombie thread from 2006 is closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.