1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Easy Believism on the Mission Field

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by MikeinGhana, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Thanks for your interest, Bapmom! This is going to sound strange, but I don't initiate anything. I do speak in churches, at conferences and retreats, etc. across the country. I once gave my testimony to 6,000 teens at a statewide youth conf. in Alabama -- that was the largest group I spoke to. But all of these talks come from invitations -- I don't set it up at all.

I also do a fair amoung of writing and have had articles published in various christian publications.

I am also on radio shows. I was just on one today (KFUO in St. Louis, "Issues, Etc." program). They called me while I was out and I got back to them only 30 min. before they wanted me on!

I also have led outreaches to particular events where those who fall in my ministry areas might be.

2. bapmom

bapmom New Member

well thats not really fair, gb....is it? I mean my salvation story starts when I was 8 years old.....what about those of us like that?

I never really "wrestled" with God, because I'd been conditioned to be accepting of Him when I did one day feel His conviction about my own need for salvation. My decision was fairly "easy" as I did not have a bunch of preconceived notions to overcome, or false doctrines to unlearn.

Are you saying that my salvation was a fraud? That it would only be real if I had waited many years and fallen into deep sin and/OR fallen into some sorts of false doctrines first?

Please tell me Im reading too much into what you said.....

3. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Marcia,

that sounds very unique and interesting. I'll be praying for you, also. Ive seen some of your testimony that you've written out in other places.

Thank you!

4. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Thank you for your prayers, bapmom! Cannot do ministry without those praying for you!

If you want to see my website, it's at http://cana.userworld.com

Can't recall if I posted it already or not.

5. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good point, bapmom. I was saved at age 4--genuinely saved with conviction of sin. And I turned from my wicked ways of rebellion against my parents!! [​IMG]

Believing was pretty easy for me! I was baptized at age 6. Then God produced fruit in my life when I led a kindergarten friend to Christ.

No person is exactly alike, so no salvation experience is exactly alike. Believing is easy for some, repenting is really rough for others.

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Thanks for asking. I agree with you. You are reading too much into what I meant. It grips my heart when a child wants Jesus. I never heard the gospel until I was 18. I have led many small children to Christ and at the time I let them tell me why they have come to Jesus. A kid will tell you why. They have a testimony. Every person who comes to Christ has a story that is very different form another. Certainly little children came to Jesus. I have seen small children tell their friends about their decision. My daughter told her friends at school and wondered why her friends didn’t like to talk about Jesus like she did. In fact she made them uncomfortable and wondered why.

My salvation experience was much like yours except I was 18 and had never heard the gospel before. My daughter came to Christ much like you. We have never made that decision an issue. The thing we hold in front of ourselves is the issue of daily living for Christ and following Him.

In a way I believe you did wrestle with God because you became aware of your need for Him and said, "Yes." However your heart was soft and it was easy for you.

Over the years I have visited many who hoped they were going to heaven because they came forward in a service. We must help prepare the way for them to live the Christian life not to just give them fire insurance. Each person deserves our best help.

7. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now we are agreeing. I believe in dealing with each sinner until they are under conviction by the Holy Spirit and understand the Gospel. I have seen this happen in five minutes when the heart was prepared, and in a year with counselling every week.

In my mind the problem is not "easy-believism" but "poor-dealing-with-the-sinner-ism."

8. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Im so glad to say I agree, too, gb and John of Japan. [​IMG]

Ive seen people who were just so easy to receive salvation, and others who I really felt just didn't understand and/or didn't care. I don't ever push the latter group for a "prayer" or anything of the sort. IVe also taken to asking people if they've ever heard of what Im talking about.

Several times Ive had people mention that they did pray a prayer once, and so then we go over that.....What did it mean to you then? What does it mean for you now? What were you doing when you prayed that prayer?

These usually are not people I try to give "assurance" verses to, they are ones I try to emphasize to that the prayer is never what saves, it is a true belief in Christ, a willingness to become HIS child now. Ive had a couple who made a real decision at that point, at least I hope it was real then.

Ive got a little boy in our Reformers Unanimous group....he's 6 years old. Ive told him the gospel several times, and Im pretty positive he doesn't understand at all. I don't want to push him, though, I just want him to be prepared and ready when God gives him understanding. I hope this is the right approach.

I know I always seem to get embroiled in these discussions around here, but with the knowledge that I will someday be on the mission field, I am very concerned that we will be presenting the gospel in the right way.

Actually Im trying not to let the whole issue become something which actually stops me from witnessing.

9. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Wow - that is a profound statement and one with which I can surely identify.

We have people we have been witnessing to for YEARS and they seem no closer to salvation than we first met. We have not seen one person saved here on a first contact who continued on to be baptised and continue faithful.

It is difficult to keep plugging away and I often wonder if the effort is really worth it. Then I am reminded about who we are serving and the fact that some plant, some water, and some reap the increase. I also realise that sometimes we are called on just to prepare the soil for planting and watering.

It is God Who gives the increase. He has reminded us not to be weary in well doing, for in due season we WILL reap if we do not faint!

10. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Amen! Ive been learning about the planting and watering process alot lately!

11. MikeinGhana

MikeinGhana New Member

JohnV

I am not worrying about that which God does. I am worried about the dangerous things we do by giving people a false hope that praying some prayer without conviction of sin, righteousness, and judgment to come will save them. Many people I meet tell me that they have already prayed to Jesus for salvation. When I talk to them they know nothing of the atoning work of Christ. Can they really be saved? What are they saved from and by whom are they saved if they do know this basic fact? The discussion is about this matter of "Easy Believism." Inherent in that term is the fact that many are being coerced into salvation instead of allowing the Holy Spirit to do the work.

12. bapmom

bapmom New Member

but MikeinGhana,

I guess one question Id have would be how much of the atoning work of Christ do you feel they need to understand first?

I do understand what you are saying.....don't get me wrong. I meet people here in Milwaukee who will tell me that they've prayed before, too. Sometimes they'll actually have a real testimony, they just can't seem to find that "right" church to go to.

Do you think people are getting good at telling us what they think we want to hear just to get us to go away?

13. MikeinGhana

MikeinGhana New Member

bapmom

I am sure that is the case in some instances. Here in Ghana, they do not want me to go away but rather want me to stay and spend time with them. They will tell me whatever I want to hear just so I will sit with them and talk about the Bible.

As far as what they need to know about the atoning work of Christ, my simple answer is, "SOMETHING!" If they are not trusting Christ to save the from their sins and give them eternal life, what are they trusting in? Salvation is a mtter of placing 100% trust and faith in what Christ has done for you on the cross. If they know nothing about this they cannot be saved. This simple pray after me evangelism, when there is no work of the Spirit, is giving people a false hope that they are saved.

In Matthew 7 Jesus told some pretty impressive religious people they were not saved. Even though they had fruit" that would make them appear as thought thye had been saved, He told them depart from me...I never knew you.

I praise the Lord for every single soul winner that is trying to get people saved. I realy do. I just fear that we are more interested in bulk numbers, for numbers sake.