1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"Easy Listening"

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by wpe3bql, May 30, 2015.

1. wpe3bql

wpe3bql Member

If a person lives in just about any major US metropolitan area, he will usually find at least one station whose format is called "easy listening" or "soft rock."

Occasionally I'll switch from my classical music station to listen to such a station.

Invariably the station will play a tune that was borrowed from so-called popular music of, say, 50-60 years ago. A case in point might be those songs made popular by the Beatles (e.g., "I Want to Hold Your Hand").

The Beatles have gone on record as stating that they are more popular than Jesus Christ.

I recall remarks made by preachers of that era that this group was representative of ALL of the so-called rock groups, past, present & future that perform music whose origin is "the pits of hell."

Fast forward to today's easy listening stations that air that very same song but in a slower tempo and by orchestral instruments (violins, etc.).

Should this type of music be directly connected with that of its origin?

IOW, "What's good for the goose ought to be good enough for the gander," namely, it too needs to be roundly condemned, right?

Please understand that I'm not one who spends sleepless nights worrying about such things as this, but OTOH, is this not something that ought to at least be up for some consideration?

Comments?

2. plain_n_simple

plain_n_simple Active Member

music whose origin is "the pits of hell."

Music was made by Jesus. It's what it is used for, and the words that are most important. The power of life and death are in the tongue. Music is for worshiping the Father and the Son, preaching the gospel. A classical piece can sooth, or excite, no words so it's neutral concerning that I think. The listener can praise God if he wanted.

Rock and Roll's earliest was worship music as far back as 1938 with sister Tharpe and Train Train. It was only much later that Jerry Lee and Elvis sexualized the music and words to corrupt it, sending it down to where it is today.

"Should this type of music be directly connected with that of its origin?"

No. It's the intent and spirit of each song. I've never subscribed to the thought that a style, progression, or movement was evil. It's like saying math is evil, or a potato. Jesus made those too.