1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Eat more pasta, feel better, and lose weight....

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by kyredneck, Sep 4, 2017.

1. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ....or:

Cooking, Cooling, and Reheating Starches For Even More Digestive Resistance

Dirty little secret; up till about a month ago I was 30 lbs heavier than the avatar photo, but I've painlessly dropped 11 lbs simply by intentionally incorporating resistant starch into my diet.

Resistant Starch 101 - Everything You Need to Know

I have to admit I've been flabbergasted by the profound results of doing something as simple as cooking, cooling, and reheating my rice noodles, or adding a heaping TBSP potato starch to a breakfast smoothie, or occasionally eating a green banana. I can actually envision myself getting down to around 200 where I need to be.

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. Covenanter

Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My secret is avoiding starch as far as possible,
    I was becoming crippled with diabetic peripheral neuropathy - while eating the recommended complex carb, low fat diet.
    I switched to low carb high fat & my health was restored, complications cleared or stabilised, & completely out of pain in 3 months.
    That was nine years ago - I'm still playing tennis at club standard at 78. And I lost weight.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I went low carb this past spring. Lost a little over 20 pounds, in only 3 months. The majority of it was gut, almost four inches of waistline.

Dropping the weight sure helped with my run time and pull ups.

• Like Like x 3
  4. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea, I've done that too (basically kinda sorta Paleo diet), and miss those high on the Glycemic Index carbs like rice, potatoes, pasta, beans, etc. The retrogradation process from cooling and reheating can lower the body's glycemic response by more than 50%. But that's not the REAL bennie here. The real benefit is the short chain fatty acids, particularly BUTYRATE, that the gut bacteria produce by giving them the resistant starch which seems to be a superfood for them. From the second link in the OP:

" The main reason why resistant starch works, is that it functions like soluble, fermentable fiber.

It goes through the stomach and small intestine undigested, eventually reaching the colon where it feeds the friendly bacteria in the gut (4).

The bacteria in the intestine (the gut flora) outnumber the body's cells 10 to 1. In that respect, we are only 10% human (5).

Whereas most foods we eat feed only 10% of our cells, fermentable fibers and resistant starches feed the other 90% (6, 7).

There are actually hundreds of different species of bacteria in the intestine. In the past few decades, scientists have discovered that the number and type of bacteria can have a profound impact on health (8, 9).

Resistant starch feeds the friendly bacteria in the intestine, having a positive effect on the type of bacteria as well as the number of them (10, 11).

When the bacteria digest resistant starches, they form several compounds, including gases and short-chain fatty acids, most notably a fatty acid called butyrate (12, 13).

Bottom Line: One of the main reasons why resistant starch improves health, is that it feeds the friendly bacteria in the intestine and increases production of short-chain fatty acids like butyrate."

If you read that article you'll see there's a lot of benefits from these short chain fatty acids, one of which is satiety - appetite suppression. I got busy the other morning working in and around the garden and it was 2 o'clock in the afternoon when it dawned on me that I hadn't eaten anything all day, and still wasn't hungry. Another benefit is a general feeling of well-being, which I have also experienced, which stands to reason, these gut bacteria produce 95% of the body's serotonin. Another benefit is deep sound sleep (along with some vivid dreams), which I have also experienced.

Anyway, it's like I said in the OP, I'm flabbergasted by the effects of something so simple.

Good for you! I very much appreciate that old saying, "Physician, heal thyself".

But, it's very possible that you could enjoy some pasta and potatoes along with the bennies of these short chain fatty acids by incorporating some very simple procedures.

5. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The anecdote about the restaurant reheating pasta was interesting.

6. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The wife and I drove to Lexington after church yesterday and it was precisely this revelation from that article that prompted me to go to Johnny Carino's for lunch. I asked the waiter if they had any pasta to reheat and he immediately went on the defensive saying,"Oh no! We only serve fresh cooked the same day pasta!" I told him, "You don't understand, reheated pasta is what I want; if you don't have any that's been in the cooler I'll just get your roast beef". He said he'd check, came back, and said "You're in luck, there's some bow tie pasta that was cooked yesterday", so I ordered bow tie pasta and meatballs w/ a Caesar salad. After eating I asked to see the manager to enlighten him to the possibility that there could well be a market for reheated pasta as the idea of resistant starch keeps catching on, and he immediately went on the defensive almost verbatim of what the waiter said adding, "We throw all leftover pasta out every night" (I thought what a waste, and you supposedly didn't throw some bow tie pasta out last night). Anyway, the whole idea of it completely escaped him.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  8. Covenanter

Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think I'm a good advert for a Low carb, high fat diet.

#8 Covenanter, Sep 15, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, you most definitely are! I'm very impressed! Did you ever read the book Protein Power?