1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ecclesiastical Jealousy...

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by TCGreek, Aug 29, 2007.

1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Why do more and more pastors fall victim to ecclesiastical jealousy?

2. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It happens to me when I quit looking at myself as a servant of God serving where He wants me to serve.

A prof of mine used to talk about these verses in this regard:
    Luke 17:7-11 - "Which of you, having a slave plowing or tending sheep, will say to him when he has come in from the field, 'Come immediately and sit down to eat'? 8 "But will he not say to him, 'Prepare something for me to eat, and properly clothe yourself and serve me while I eat and drink; and afterward you may eat and drink'? 9 "He does not thank the slave because he did the things which were commanded, does he? 10 "So you too, when you do all the things which are commanded you, say, 'We are unworthy slaves; we have done only that which we ought to have done.' "

3. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Do you mean the sort of jealousy that might arise in the heart when (for example) a pastor of a small church meeting for worship in a hired hall, reads that a much larger church not far from his has just had 20 baptisms, needs to expand its premises because so many children are wanting to attend Sunday School, and has crowds of unbelievers knocking at the doors asking, "What must I do to be saved?"?

If that is the sort of thing you mean, is it an indication that the jealous pastor is forgetting that the Lord did not call us to be "successful", but to be faithful? The pastor of the church I joined following my conversion had spent some years in the Tamil Nadu region of South India as a missionary. He used to talk of an older colleague, who had faithfully served the Lord for a number of years, I think it was seventeen, without seeing a single conversion.