1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Economic analysis by Robert Reich

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by billwald, Mar 31, 2012.

1. billwald

billwald New Member

Please explain to me why he is wrong.

From

http://www.alternet.org/story/15477...for_the_rich?akid=8507.85218.3gGc4Z&rd=1&t=21

The top 1 percent got 45 percent of Clinton-era economic growth, and 65 percent of the economic growth during the Bush era.

According to an analysis of tax returns by Emmanuel Saez and Thomas Pikkety, the top 1 percent pocketed 93 percent of the gains in 2010. 37 percent of the gains went to the top one-tenth of one percent. No one below the richest 10 percent saw any gain at all.

In fact, most of the bottom 90 percent have lost ground. Their average adjusted gross income was $29,840 in 2010. That’s down $127 from 2009, and down $4,843 from 2000 (all adjusted for inflation).

Meanwhile, employer-provided benefits continue to decline among the bottom 90 percent, according to the Commerce Department. The share of people with health insurance from their employers dropped from 59.8 percent in 2007 to 55.3 percent in 2010. And the share of private-sector workers with retirement plans dropped from 42 percent in 2007 to 39.5 percent in 2010.

If you’re among the richest 10 percent, a big chunk of your savings are in the stock market where you’ve had nice gains over the last two years. The value of financial assets held by Americans surged by $1.46 trillion in the fourth quarter of 2011.

But if you’re in the bottom 90 percent, you own few if any shares of stock. Your biggest asset is your home. Home prices are down over a third from their 2006 peak, and they’re still dropping. The median house price in February was 6.2 percent lower than a year ago.

2. targus

targus New Member

And you can thank the Democrats for all of that.

3. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Blame the democrats? :laugh:

The blame should go higher up the chain than democrats. To the banksters and corporations that own the democrats, and the republicans. And to people like Targus who'd like us all to go on focusing only on the democrats and republicans and not allowing ourselves to look beyond them to the real guilty culprits.

#3 poncho, Mar 31, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2012
  4. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK

I am now a democrat and I want some of their money, whether they earned it or not.

I deserve it and I want it.