1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ecumenicalism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Craigbythesea, Oct 17, 2005.

1. MikeinGhana

MikeinGhana New Member

God's Word settles it I believe:

"What fellowship hath light with darkness?"

"Come out from among them and be ye separate"

"Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son. If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed:
    For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds."

If you are led to build a house, build the house. Why join with unsaved God/truth rejecters to do it?

2. LaymansTermsPlease

First of all, this is not an attack on anyone who works with Habitat for Humanity..I've volunteered myself in the past, and wouldn't think twice about doing so again. This situation has been discussed as an example here, so I'm just continuing discussion on that example.

I've got to agree that as a Christian swinging a hammer next to a Muslim...you are doing God's work and the Muslim is not..even if it's the same physical work.

You are Christ's, and are pleasing the Father with your work, the Muslim is not.

In addition to the applicable quote already given several times here from John 6:28-29 that "This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.", here is a passage from Matthew.

Sorry, but the bad tree is not going to be able to produce good fruit. No matter how many mighty or seemingly noble deeds the unbeliever does, they are as good as breaking the law when they do them.

Ahhh, but you'll point out the "one who does the will of my Father" phrase and say that housing the poor is His will.

First, notice that in the Matthew passage, it talked about all manner of mighty, seemingly holy deeds done that were no good in God's eyes.

Second, see the John 6:28-29 quote again for a refresher on the "will of my Father" definition.

3. MikeinGhana

MikeinGhana New Member

An unsaved man can never please the Father. In fact he is His enemy. We are still missing the point of this thread. Cooperating with the unsaved world, even for good, could violate the Stumbling Block Principle.

H4H does good things in the world. So does the Lottery industry when they "do" give some of the proceeds to education. This is not the work of God, however. For it to be so it must be done in the name of the Father and for His glory.

4. bro_ken128

bro_ken128 New Member

I work a public job with believers and non believers. It is not a work for the Lord but I feel that I am doing it for the Lord. Does that mean that it is ecumenical?

5. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Methodists and Baptists are just about as close as you can get theologically. Are you saying that only Baptists will be in Heaven. Or perhaps only Pre-Mill Baptists, or SBC, or KJV only? There are differences in belief withing almost every Baptist church. I do believe that "few will be chosen" but I don't believe it will be on the basis of their denomination. </font>[/QUOTE]No, Im not saying that only Baptists will be in Heaven. However, for the most part people call themselves by specific titles for a reason. Methodists USED to be identical doctrinally with Baptists, I agree. But now they are not. They have always had a tendency to overemphasize the "methods", hence the term "Methodist". Many have added good works and purity to salvation because of this tendency.
    Although many in these other denominations retain the same terms, they do not necessarily mean the same thing anymore. For example, Ive heard from Catholics that they have "accepted Christ as Saviour", but what they mean by that is that they have been given communion....taking the wafer in their mouth is called "accepting Christ." But its not what we mean when we say that.

No matter what you call yourself, if you are believing in a different salvation than you are not saved.

At first I thought this last post of mine might be too off-topic. Then I realized that nate's opinion which I was referring to is EXACTLY the topic of this thread.

Ecumenicalism, joining together in "true ministry" in order to try to get out some sort of gospel. If they are not all preaching the same gospel, then they cannot and should not be unified.
    So my answer to nate is, No, we cannot join with these other denominations in order to try to get the gospel out because they are not preaching the same gospel.

This has nothing to do with their denomination. It has to do with why particular groups identify themselves with particular names. If that name identifies them as someone who is preaching a different gospel, then Id say we separate in matters of ministry.

6. MikeinGhana

MikeinGhana New Member

bro-ken128

There is a major difference working a secular job "for the Lord." We should do all things, as a believer in Christ, to the glory of God. When we try to do church work, such as sending the gospel, supporting missionaries, having pray meetings, etc., with unsaved people who are truth rejectors, that is ecumenism.

The verses I posted above will suffice to support this statement. We`cannot join with the world to do God's work and expect God's blessings.

These people have no love for the pure Word of God. God will magnify His word even above His name! How can He bless those who will honor that sacred Word?

7. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

No. You are not actively joining with non-believers in a religions sense and then saying to the world around you that you are cooperating in doing the Lord's work. You are merely working with them in a secular sense.