1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Eerdman's Publishes Mormon Book

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Marcia, May 2, 2005.

1. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

This is just another nail in the coffin of the "Christian" publishing industry.

2. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That makes my blood boil. If my local Christian bookstore puts that book on its shelf I will not be going there again.

3. ScottEmerson

ScottEmerson Active Member

4. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The book seems OK to me, from what the website says.

5. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Agreed. It sounds like the book is targeted to orthodox Christianity with the understanding that Mormonism is unorthodox in many ways and not an intended to convert. I agree that I would have to read the book before making a final judgement on this.

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I still think the best thing out there is the video The Mormon Puzzle done by the SBC.

7. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

From ScottEmerson's link:

Are Latter-day Saints Christian, or do they worship a different Jesus? In this engaging book based on the foundational Mormon documents, Robert Millet clearly explains why Latter-day Saints claim to be Christians and compares their understanding of Jesus with the views of traditional Christian believers.

A leading Mormon scholar who has spent much of his career in conversation with traditional Christians and their writings, Millet discusses what constitutes Christianity and examines how the Latter-day Saints fit or do not fit within that rubric. Intended to inform rather than to convince or persuade, A Different Jesus? clears away misconceptions and doctrinal distortions that characterize more polemical works about Mormonism. Millet points out the many beliefs that Latter-day Saints hold in common with traditional Christians, yet he also emphasizes differences where they exist.

A Different Jesus? initiates and will foster a significant dialogue between Latter-day Saints and traditional Christians. Of special value are a lengthy chapter that answers some of the most frequently asked questions about Mormonism, a glossary showing how key theological terms are defined by Latter-day Saints, and evangelical scholar Richard Mouw's foreword and afterword, which help set an agenda for future discussions between these rich religious traditions.

I don't see the word "mature" anywhere on the site. First Catholisim was embraced as just another Christian denomination, I have said for the a few years that the false religion of Mormonism will be the next false religion to be embraced. Eerdmans Publishing also sells books written by Joseph Ratzinger on their Web site.

8. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

If indeed it is intended for "mature" christians, how can they (the bookstores) hope to keep it out of the hands of the immature or new christians? For surely, it is they who will be decieved by this book.

"which help set an agenda for future discussions between these rich religious traditions.

This statement certainly sets alarm bells off in my spirit.
    Do they indeed have an "agenda"? Is Mormonism a "rich religious tradition"?
    And is Eerdman's interested at all in preserving the purity of the Christian faith?
    This Millet feller seeks to ""clear away misconceptions and doctrinal distortions"? Or does he hope to show how we are similar, thereby legitimatising (sp?) his "religion" in the eyes and minds of the not so informed?

Can you hear the hoofbeats of the horsemen of the Apocalypse? I can. I am not in the least bit surprised by this move, but I am disturbed that it is so readily embraced. If you want Mormons' apologetics then go to your local "Beehive Bookstore". It has no place in a "christian" bookstore".

In HIS service;
    Jim

9. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

The Zondervan Publishing Company’s website no longer tells you that it is a division of of HarperCollins Publishers. A year ago they were proud of the fact:

But of course that all changed when Christians learned that HaperCollins is the Publisher of the Satanic Bible (ISBN 0380015390). And now HaperCollins publishes the Satanic Bible under one of its imprints, Avon.
    Every time a Christian purchases a NIV Bible, they are doing business with HarperCollins, Publishers.

References:
    http://www.newscorp.com/operations/books.html
    http://www.harpercollins.ca/templates.asp?page=companyprofile
    http://www.harpercollins.com/templates.asp?page=companyprofile
    http://www.harpercollins.com/press/display.asp?ACT=showid&ID=235
    http://members.ozemail.com.au/~rseaborn/john_wiser_emails.html

[​IMG]

10. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Thank you Craig. I didn't know that.
    ONE MORE reason I stick with my KJV and trusted publishers.
    :D

In HIS service;
    Jim

11. loving2daysyouth

loving2daysyouth New Member

I want to be a celestial parent!

12. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It should also be noted that Zondervan and HarperCollins also publish the KJV and several other versions of the bible.

Zondervan Bibles
    Harper Collins UK Bibles

13. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

If it is PRO Mormonism it has no place in a Christian bookstore.

14. loving2daysyouth

Why? Is it wrong to study other religions/cults?

15. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Here is a response from Michael Thompson, one of Eerdman's distributors, explaining some of the rationale behind this move. It is found in this blog by Dustin Curlee.

16. David Michael Harris

David Michael Harris Active Member

No, as long as the book is stored in the appropriate place, preferably under 'lies'

David

17. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

I would have to read this book before I would risk endorsing it. My daughter's mission field is to the Mormons.

At one point in her life she fell in love with a young man who happened to be a Mormon. On the surface it looked "okay." He professed to be a Christian, he said he believed in Christ, his church taught strong moral values and strong family values. I knew the truth, but I moved cautiously as a parent. Rather than forbid the relationship, I told her, study your bible, pray, look at what they really believe, let God guide you. I was careful not to criticize the Mormon church and put her on the defensive.

As time when on she made discoveries about his church that shocked her. When a Mormon says they believe in Christ, they do not mean that they believe Jesus Christ is the only begotten Son of God, and the He is the way, the truth and the light. They believe that salvation is based on works. They believe that there are levels to heaven. They believe that each man, if he lives a morally good enough life, will become Christ, and be given their own world/planet to rule some day.
    They teach that women can only be saved if a man carries her to heaven. Therefore, from their birth, Mormon women are encouraged to find a man so that man can make sure they get into heaven.
    They believe in the baptism of the dead. Basically, they take the verse about if you are saved your household will be saved out of context. Rather than interpreting it to mean that one Christian can lead his family to Christ, they take it to mean that you can go into a baptistry, and through ritual, become one of your deceased ancestors, asking for forgiveness of sin in their name, and thus thrusting them into heaven, whether the person wanted it or not. By that theory, Madelyn Murray O'Hare would be in heaven with us all if one of her great grand children decided they wanted her there.

These are just a few of the odd beliefs that were confirmed to us during this period.

One of the most serious problems with witnessing to Mormons today is that they use the same words for different meanings so when we speak to them, we don't catch the differences in beliefs.

This .. communication issue is actually encouraged by their church. They have actually published materials on how to convince Christians they share Christian beliefs.

They are also the fastest growing denomination in the United States.

So, anything that might, even by accident, imply support of their beliefs is dangerous.

18. loving2daysyouth

Are they storing it under the category of "Doctrine?"

19. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

Marcia,

It is very easy to find fault with what others have written... [Snipped for personal attack]

[​IMG]

[ May 06, 2005, 06:32 AM: Message edited by: Bible-boy ]

20. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I think this personal attack on Marcia is uncalled for, especially since she has only written one line in this thread that is not nearly as critical as this post you just wrote. I think you should retract this post and apologize and I'm tempted to report this.

Marcia, we have been on different sides of many issues and I can still say that you have added much value to the community here.

[ May 06, 2005, 06:33 AM: Message edited by: Bible-boy ]