1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Effect of Paul on view of salvation

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by agedman, Dec 9, 2011.

1. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

The Apostle Paul preached the same Gospel that Jesus Christ preached. As for Paul's doctrine of election it is totally consistent with all of Scripture or it would not be there. The Apostle John is just as strong in his teaching of election as Paul!

2. beameup

beameup Member

The Gospel for the Gentiles was revealed to Paul. If you are a Gentile then this is the only Gospel for you... not John's, not Peter's, not James'.
    Rom 16:25 Now to him that is of power to establish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ,
    according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began,
    - the "mystery" was revealed to Paul and nowhere found in the O.T.

The Holy Spirit directly tells us THREE TIMES that Paul is the Apostle for the Gentiles:
    Rom 11:13 For I speak to you Gentiles, inasmuch as I am the apostle of the Gentiles,
    I Tim 2:7, ...I am ordained a preacher, and an apostle, .... and a teacher of the Gentiles...
    2 Tim 1:11 Whereunto I am appointed a preacher, and an apostle, and a teacher of the Gentiles

The Holy Spirit tells us that the Apostle to the Gentiles is the "masterbuilder" and has laid the "foundation":
    I Cor 3:10 According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon.

I Cor 4:16 Wherefore I beseech you, be ye followers of me.

I Cor 15:1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; by which also ye are saved

II Cor 13:1 In the mouth of two or three witnesses shall every word be established.

3. OldRegular

beameup

Paul may have been an Apostle to the Gentiles [History of the apostles show that he was not the only Apostle to the Gentiles.] but he preached the Gospel of Jesus Christ, the same Gospel that Jesus Christ preached. Any other viewpoint is heretical and that is a fact.

The Apostle Paul writes in Romans 1:

16. For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
    17. For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

Please note that the Gospel of Jesus Christ is for both the Jews and the Gentiles. The Apostle Paul also tells us in his letter to the church at Galatia:

6. I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:
    7. Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.
    8. But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.
    9. As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

In Romans the Apostle Paul tells us that the gospel of Christ: is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. He introduces his letter to the Galatians [because a heretical gospel was being preached there] But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

The gospel according to Mark opens with the following:

1:1 The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ, the Son of God;

In Mark 1:14 we are told:

14. Now after that John was put in prison, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God,

Now how many Kingdom's of God are there? Only ONE!

The Book of Acts tells us, speaking of the Apostle Paul, in its closing verses:

Acts 28:30, 31, KJV
    30. And Paul dwelt two whole years in his own hired house, and received all that came in unto him,
    31. Preaching the kingdom of God, and teaching those things which concern the Lord Jesus Christ, with all confidence, no man forbidding him.

Paul preached the Kingdom of God to the Gentiles in Rome. Jesus Christ preached the Gospel of the Kingdom of God during His time on earth. Is anyone going to say that the Gospel that Paul preached was different than the Gospel Jesus Christ preached. If so that is heresy pure and simple. There is only one Gospel, the Gospel of Jesus Christ preached by Paul, Peter, John and all the Apostles, excluding Judas! It is even preached in some churches today, Praise God!

4. beameup

beameup Member

That's a pretty reckless accusation.
    Jesus preached the Kingdom to his people, the Israelites.
    Read what I posted. I posted what the Holy Spirit confirms.

The mystery revealed to Paul was that the Gentiles were to be saved
    in the name of Jesus Christ and totally outside the Law of Moses and outside of Judiasm.
    Rom 16:25 Now to him that is of power to establish you according to my gospel
    That revealed mystery is nowhere found in the O.T. and it was revealed
    gradually to Paul. It isn't until Acts 28:28 that Paul finally realizes that Israel is without hope.

Even up until the destruction of the Temple the possibility remained for Israel to usher in the Kingdom.
    For now, salvation is offered to Gentiles (and Jews) "until the fullness of the Gentiles be come in".
    Rom 11:25 For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise
    in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fullness of the Gentiles be come in.

Thus, the Gentile Bride of Christ is saved apart from Moses, apart from Israel, and in the name of Jesus Christ only.

The biggest mistake a Christian can make is not separating the work of God on behalf of the Gentiles
    and the (future) work of God in behalf of (genetic) Israel in ushering in the Kingdom of God. THIS is what leads to HERESY.

The Gospels are, for the most part, addressed to (genetic) Israelites.
    However, faith in Christ can obviously be gleaned from the Gospels.
    The are written "for us" but not necessarily "to us" (Gentiles).

#24 beameup, Dec 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2011
  5. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

There is no option to edit titles. I fixed it however.

6. OldRegular

And I posted what the Bible says.

The sacrifice of Jesus Christ, and therefore the Gospel, was first promised in Genesis 3:15 before there was ever Jew, Gentile, or Israelite.

There is only one Gospel, the Gospel of Jesus Christ, any other gospel is false and that includes your dispensational gospel.

7. OldRegular

What nonsense. Paul preached the same Gospel to both Jew and Gentiles every where he went.

I would point out again that after "Paul finally realizes that Israel is without hope." he continued to preach the Kingdom of God.

That is exactly what the Jesus Christ preached during his earthly ministry. If you don't believe it just look up the term "Kingdom of God".

Now answer me this question. Which Gospel was Jesus Christ preaching when He said the following?

John 3:2, KJV
    Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

John 3:14-16, KJV

14. And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:
    15. That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.
    16. For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Jesus Christ is here prophesying His own death and the type of death and also the purpose of that death. Are you going to say this is not the same Gospel that the Apostle Paul preached?

Following your logic the new birth and faith in Jesus Christ are not grounds for Salvation since these words preceded the revelation to Paul. What do you think Paul was talking about in Ephesians 2:1-10? He was talking about the new birth [or spiritual regeneration] and faith.

I say again. There is only one Gospel. To teach otherwise is heresy and the Apostle Paul agrees.

8. beameup

beameup Member

You haven't produced one verse which states that the Millennial Kingdom has been established.
    There are a multitude of verses in the O.T. concerning Messiah sitting on the Throne of David and ruling the earth from Jerusalem.
    The gospels contain references to the Millennial Kingdom as Jesus was preaching the gospel to his own people.
    In this respect, the Gospels are not clear and concise concerning salvation, whereas Paul's Epistles explain this concisely.

That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. Rom 10:9
    :::Note that there is no mention of circumcision, or the Law of Moses, or keeping the Sabbath, etc.

For example: Therefore say I unto you, The kingdom of God shall be taken from you, and given to a nation bringing forth the fruits thereof.

This is a clear warning that unless the Jews receive Jesus as their Messiah that the "Kingdom of God" will be given to "another nation". Mt 21:43

We have every evidence from the (genetic) Israelite disciples/apostles "the twelve" that they fully expected Jesus to return while they were alive
    and establish the Millennial Kingdom. Even Paul would always go first to the synagogue to preach the Gospel, until in Acts 28 he finally realized
    that Israel was not going to fulfill their responsibility to usher in the Kingdom of God.

I the LORD have called thee in righteousness, and will hold thine hand, and will keep thee, and give thee for a covenant of the people, for a light of the Gentiles;
    - Is 42:6, - 46:6, Lk 2:32, Act 13:47

I think the problem arises over the meaning and use of "Kingdom".

Certainly, for example, Matthew ch 24 is yet future and is specifically addressed to (genetic) Israel:

But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day: For then shall be great tribulation,
    such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.

9. OldRegular

You can't produce one verse of Scripture that states your so-called millennial kingdom will ever be established.

10. OldRegular

Where have I mentioned " circumcision, or the Law of Moses, or keeping the Sabbath, etc."?

11. OldRegular

What could be more clear than the following.

John 3:14-16, KJV

14. And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:
    15. That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.
    16. For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Nothing!

12. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

13. OldRegular

A lot of people believe that God needs help in the salvation of people. Apparently you believe that He is unable to establish His Kingdom without the help of the apostate Jews..

14. OldRegular

This passage is referring to the destruction of Jerusalem in 70AD!

15. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

And to add to this excellent post, Jesus is reigning now, and not waiting to do so at a later date.

16. OldRegular

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs: