1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured EFS

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by McCree79, Sep 2, 2017.

1. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have not paid much attention to this doctrine or debate. To me it seemed like something of a semantic argument that some complementarians and egalitarians enjoy -- and at times at least provides fodder for some of one to call some of the other heretics.

[Edited to add words left out of a sentence. Just noting this since I did so after McCree quoted me (below)]

#61 rlvaughn, Sep 4, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  2. McCree79

McCree79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I don't think Grudem is attempting Trump the Nicene creed, but trying to add clarification of the person of The Son. Much like the Athanasian Creed did on defense agaisnt Sabellianism. Grudem positioning, while is being used in defense of complimentarism --- is also used in defense(and perhaps more importantly) agaisnt Modalism that plagues our churches. A lot of people will say 3 persons, 1 God(being). But ask them to describe the Trinity, they will give you a Modalistic definition. One of Wayne's concerns has been clearly identifying the persons of the God head from each other. Which we do a horrible job in the church at doing. Modalism plagues the SBC churches of Western Kentucky and Southern Illinois. I believe Modalism to be a much bigger issue than EFS. If we are unable to define the persons of the Trinity, that is a problem.

Wayne also uses EFS to defend the immutability of the Son.

I have posted this video before, but here is some of Grudem's motivations.

Video: Wayne Grudem Responds to His Critics | LogosTalk

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

3. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    .....you assessment is likley spot on:)

• Like Like x 1
  4. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can you expand on why you believe it would apply to being and not persons?

*I also assume you are using the term economy in the sense of distribution of roles. Sorry I have misinterpreted.

5. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No heretics yet, but we might have to sing the Te Deum before too long.

HankD

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus was I AM long before Nicea. There are some out here who do not subscribe to the so-called church councils. The religious world has been wrestling with who Jesus is ever since He told the Jews He is I AM that I AM. This statement got Him indicted on blasphemy charges--He makes Himself to be God. This is a pivotal point: If Jesus is not I AM, Lord God Jehovah, from Mt. Sinai, He is an imposter. It cannot be all of the above.

Why do we keep trying to describe God to the nth degree? There is no way to describe Him short of: Holy, Holy, Holy. We have not a clue of what Holy might mean?

Now what?

Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

Bro. James

7. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother James He gave us His word and described Himself.

Yes we will never even at eternity's end know "to the nth degree" what Holy, Holy, Holy means but we love to try. :) To His great glory of course, always and forever.

HankD

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    It seems to me that relationships within the Trinity are ontological; how the three persons function outside the Trinity are economic. Probably too simplistic, but that's how it seems to me.

9. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I'm in total agreement on that. I've often said it would shock most preachers to know how many functional Modalists there are in the pews.

I just do not see the necessity of ESS as a tool to remedy that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand the submissiveness of the Son to be external to the Trinity only in that it expresses an eternal and internal truth - that the subjective functions within the Godhead (both in the act of creating and throughout redemptive history) reveal the eternal nature of God. In this way, you could say this subjection is ontological – but ONLY in terms of it being ontological to God (to the Godhead) and not to the nature of individual persons (Father, Son, and Spirit).

I think the way this would be expressed is that eternal subordination is ontological to God as God is eternally triune. But when we speak of eternal subordination as an association within the Godhead as between persons of the Trinity, then we speak of the economy within the Trinity rather than ontological properties of each member.

The term “Trinity” and “Godhead” implies a difference in roles, but not of nature. If we consider the Godhead to be eternal, rather than an expression of God through the dispensation of redemptive history, then I cannot help but see the functions that define the Trinity to be just as eternal.

11. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It may also surprise some regarding the number of unregenerated on the rolls, as well as the staffs of these LLC's, aka: churches. Ecumenism and easy believism have filled the pews by the hands of wolves dressed like sheep.

The Lord knows them that are His.

Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

Bro. James

12. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not to worry brother

Matthew 13
    41 The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity;
    42 And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.
    43 Then shall the righteous shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their Father. Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.

HankD

13. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    yes, but the issue seems to be whether that subordination was just during His Incarnation here, or else is to be eternal.

14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    calvin limites that to while on earth, not eternally though!

15. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For you perhaps. For others it is a matter of the Son could never be subordinate

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He was clearly that as per Philippians, but again, difference is was of a temp, nor eternal basis!

17. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe there is a close English word for the Son's relationship to the Father's will.

Not subordinate or submissive but - compliant.

HankD

18. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeesh, compliant sounds worse than subordinate, at least to my ears.

Wittgenstein would love this thread. :)

19. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like it better - to me it has a nuance of free will - to do or not to do the will of His father as His equal.
    :)
    HankD

• Like Like x 1
  20. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Disagree, vehemently. Our Saviour was not trying to circumvent the cross:

7 Who in the days of his flesh, having offered up prayers and supplications with strong crying and tears unto him that was able to save him from death, and having been heard for his godly fear, Heb 5

He was heard. His supplications were answered. God saved Him from death. He didn't leave Him in the grave. He raised Him from the dead. Period.

The whole premise that Christ was attempting to avoid the cross is seriously defect.

• Informative Informative x 1