1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Elder and His Grown Children

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Dr. Bob, Apr 15, 2011.

1. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

This is why I said 18 or so AND financially independent.

Here's a real life situation: 18 year old daughter found out that one of her new acquaintances at college had been shoplifting. We had to advise her to not even give this person a ride to the store, because at 18 she is considered an adult in the eyes of the law and could be prosecuted as an assessory if her acquaintance got caught getting into her car with stolen merchandise.

Which set of us parents can be held responsible for the actions of our children in this case? Neither of us! Both kids are for all practical purposes on their own. IF they sin, that is on them, not us. I've given my daughter the information she needs to make the right decision and she has the guidance of the same Holy Spirit that guides me. The choice to sin lies with her. (I'm glad to report that this person is no longer a part of her circle of friends)

Responsibility for the sins of adult children, properly raised, lies with the adult child.

2. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

Ezekiel 18:20 "The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him"

All of Scripture should be interpreted within context of the rest of Scripture. I hope this verse helps to clarify the issue.

3. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Sometimes "properly raised" children do not adopt the faith or sense of responsibility taught by their parents.

And sometimes people think a child is being properly raised when, in fact, he or she is being raised in a controlling, emotionally abusive situation. Sometimes it is almost impossible to tell.

In any event, we can't really know the inner workings of a home, and we can't always place blame on parents of adult or minor children.