1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured "Elders" in Baptist churches?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by ChurchofChristguy, Apr 27, 2019.

1. ChurchofChristguy

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    ...or are they just called something else? I have always been curious of this, as Paul and Peter both go into pretty thorough detail of this official position in a church. I know some churches call them bishops, shepherds, pastors, and overseers. I was just curious about the Baptist way on this particular issue.

2. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The offices of the local church are pastor/elder (same office) and deacon, of these all local churches should be constructed.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

3. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because of how false churches have so twisted the English meaning of episcopacy/bishop and presbytery/elder, Baptists for the most part now use pastor and deacon as terms for the two biblical offices. The precise Bible words are bishop and deacon, often collectively referred to as just elders.

A survey of this Baptist understanding:

SBTS's Greg Wills, "The Church: Baptists and Their Churches in the Eighteenth and Nineteenth Centuries":

"the pastor and deacons jointly constituted the eldership. South Carolina’s Tyger River Baptist Association, for example, judged in 1835 that "the eldership of the church" consisted of "the ministers and deacons."

Shaftsbury Baptist Association, 1804 Circular Letter:

"These are both called Elders, I Timothy 5:17. . . .By these Elders, we understand Bishops and Deacons; and we have not learned from the scriptures, but that these two are the only officers to be ordained in the Christian Church."

American Baptist Magazine, 1829:

"The term elder was, probably, a general term equivalent to our word officer; and thus it could be applied to a pastor, or to a deacon ; and the elders of a church included the pastor or pastors and the deacons."

In Charles Spurgeon's "The Sword and Trowel", 1866:

"the term elder is applied both to bishops and deacons"

Spurgeon's predecessors concurred:

William Rider, Laying on of Hands Asserted, 1656:

"in the word Elders is comprehended all officers in the Church, with the Ministerial work also, . . . and so Elders is distinguished into several offices in the Church, as Bishops and Deacons . . . . Philip. 1.1 vers. where the Apostle writeth to the Saints, with the Bishops and Deacons: so Paul to Timothy writes of the qualifications of the Bishops and Deacons ; not Elders and Deacons ; you shall never in all the Scripture find Elders and Deacons expressed."

Benjamin Keach, Gospel Mysteries Unveil'd [1701]:

"Moreover, the Deacons are to be helps in Government. Some think Paul calls the Deacons Elders, when he speaks of Elders that rule well [I Tim. 5:17] (as our Annotators observe)"

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    More from the passage from Spurgeon's Sword & Trowel:

"the term elder is applied both to bishops and deacons....distinct officers were recognized by the Church, but they were lovingly blended together. There was no contention about a name as expressive of an authority, which it would have been sacrilege for others to invade."

Also:

Charles Spurgeon, "Work for Jesus":

"I remember that when Andrew Fuller had a very severe lecture from some Scotch Baptist brethren about the discipline of the church, [the Scotch Baptists were a short-lived offshoot: "A plurality of elders or pastors in every church, is a distinguishing feature in their order. . . .they consider a church incomplete without a plurality."] he made the reply, "You say that your discipline is so much better than ours. Very well, but discipline is meant to make good soldiers. Now, my soldiers fight better than yours, and I think therefore that you ought not to say much about my discipline." So the real thing is not to be for ever calculating about modes of church government, and methods of management and plans to be adopted and rules to be laid down, which it shall be accounted a serious breach to violate. All well in their place, for order is good in its way. But come, now, let us go to work. Let us have something done."

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet many Baptist churches are going to a multiple elder polity.

and IMHO - I do not see the Deacons as officers of the church - their duty is to take care of the physical needs of the congregation - so the pastor (Elder) may concrate on the spiritual needs of the church.

6. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whether you consider them officers or not, each church is commanded to have both positions. They are essential for the proper administration of a local body.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unless you have a different designated board of directors, the IRS sees them as officers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey lookie there! They got doctrine wrong very easily back in the 1800's also!

9. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Curious, as it's written in stone:

Southern Baptist Convention > 2000 Baptist Faith and Message > Article VI The Church

...and you've previously assured us:

#9 Jerome, Apr 27, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  11. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Under NY State religious law - only trustees are mentioned.
    Do you have a link about the IRS and Baptist deacons ( I looked - did not see anything)

12. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This can bring up a new discussion - so I started a new thread:

13. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I was writing the bylaws for our church several years ago, the attorney told me when they were sent to IRS for 501c3 that a board of directors had to be listed or by defacto they considered the deacons the board of directors. He said they strongly preferred it be stayed in bylaws. We formally named the deacon board as board of directors, and it made the attorney happy.

14. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reynolds - thanks for the info.

15. ChurchofChristguy

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In small churches of Christ, it is common that there are no elders, only deacons. But that is usually more of a function of a control freak pastor/minister/preacher than anything else.

But most CofCs have elders. They are considered more "overseers" or "shepherds" of the church, while deacons are more "doers" - looking after finances, plumbing, missions, etc. In some CofCs, the elders are more considered spiritual overseers where the practical goings on of the church default to the ministers and deacons. In other CofCs, the elders take on more of a "board of trustees" role.

16. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How convenient for you!

17. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not "convenient" - remember - even though we are affiliated with the SBC,
    we are an independent Baptist church - .....
    and that issue is not a test of fellowship.

18. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Independent of what?

19. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    the same thing that your local church is independent of!
    (and by the way - we are also fundamental as well!)

20. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good for you! We're independent of Conventions , whether Northern, Southern, or state.